Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
AF540FGZ Flash with malfunctioning select dial

I have the AF540FGZ flash I bought used from KEH about a year ago. Its been a pretty good flash although I am now starting to notice that the select dial in the lower left side seems to be a bit finicky. When I turn it to select a feature, or a value for exposure it will often times jump several values, not adjust the value at all, or adjust the value in the opposite direction its supposed to.

I was thinking it may be an electrical contact issue. I may try some canned air around the circumference of the dial and maybe open the bottom up to clean out the inside and possibly get some electrical contact cleaner in there . Before I do any of this I am looking for suggestions on what else it could be or if there are other cleaning methods to aid in making it work properly again.

thanks!

Last edited by W.j.christy; 03-08-2016 at 01:35 PM.
03-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used electrical contact cleaner to clean a jumping rear edial before... worked on my k7
03-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the quick reply. I will be trying that later tonight I think. hopefully it will work. if not anyone know where I can get parts?
03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very wary of electrical contact cleaners. If you use the wrong product by any chance then it ruins the stuff. There is a very thin line between what hydrocarbons work with metal contact cleaning and does not affect surrounding plastic and ribbon cables in side and what does not.
Disassemble it and get the part to clean or potentially replace it.

03-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I took it apart to clean it and found that the contacts on the dial where gummed up with what I guess was some kind of solidified dielectric grease. In the process thought I unsoldered a wire and now need to get that back in place. Fingers crossed it works when I am done. If not I guess I can sell it for parts :-/