Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

THese are bags that have extra room for other gear than photo equipment.
I havn't got any bags but of the top of my head:
Lowepro Rover Pro 35L or 45L
Naneu 50L adventure bag - they also make an 80L bag
Mindshift gear backpacks
f-stop gear Mountain backpacks

03-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
I've got the Lowepro Photo sport 200 AW.... It's a great one, but probably not what you're looking at....
I have that bag and it's my go-to for travel - perhaps a little smaller in capacity than what you want but not my much. I usually fit:
- in the camera compartment: K-3 (no grip although it would fit with a grip), 55-300, 50-135 or 16-50 (attached to camera), and one-two smaller primes;
- upper chamber can hold a bigger lens (e.g., 60-250) in padded wrap, flash and a flash modifier, plus a few small non-camera bits and bobs
- stuff a sweater or light jacket into outside pocket;
- water bladder can hold my dell xps laptop and my passport (zipped up, hidden and against my back)
03-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Check out the Clik Elite Probody Sport here: Probody Sport - CS | | Clik Elite. It's $190 and I believe does everything you need. It certainly hit the spot for me after LOTS of research.
03-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
for what its worth, the camera bag i do have currently is this:

https://www.amazon.ca/OurWarm-Shoulder-Backpack-Rucksack-Waterproof/dp/B018Q...amera+backpack

which can support my k5 (i'm upgrading to the k1, hence full frame requirement), with my (then) 10-20mm sigma, 50mm, and 18-135mm lens. that would fit in the camera compartment. and then a flash in the upper compartment, along with a book, chargers, wires, filters, jacket, other goodies.

no where does it scream 'camera' bag either.

and i hear your concerns about keeping the passport near you, and i totally agree. its just when i'm in the airport, i dont want to keep it so deep in the camera bag that i'll have to undo my entire camera bag, show the contents to the world, and then pull it out every few moments. with this bag, i was able to keep the passport in the upper section and have it secured via draw-string, and a velcro tape. doesn't look like i'm carrying anything in there.

it was roomy enough to store a water bottle too. the only downside to this camera bag is that it cant support a tripod, and due to its design, the camera bag can get VERY heavy very quick, even with just my camera stuff and no other extras. has no shoulder strap, no waist straps.

for what its worth, i was able to take that same bag with me to a few cities all across eastern canada and southern ontario (another province in canada), Turkey (the country), Saudi Arabia, a few cities in the US. its held up well, but even if i'm doing a short urban-exploring around a local city (such as toronto), this bag really takes a toll on me.

i also have these two bags that i love/hate:

that one is by 'goatstuff' and can carry: k5 body, sigma 10-20 lens, 50mm, 18-135mm, 100mm macro, 2 flashes and a transceiver along with filters and batteries. very room. downside, its a messenger bag so it destroys your shoulder very quickly if its packed at full capacity. also, cant support a tripod. plus, due to it being leather, it stains any light colored pants with oil residue..kinda annoying.

and also have the gray tenba bag that i believe is discontinued
which can support all the gear i listed above, but again, its a messenger bag. it is MUCH lighter and better shoulder pad than the goatstuff bag though, so it works for short -local trips.

03-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
almost impossible to disguise a camera bag of any kind.
I went through this shopping exercise recently to add a bag that will hold two cameras well when desired (in prep for my K-1 arrival)... I almost bought a more expensive 'stealthier' bag until I realized that most of the time when I am out shooting, I prefer to wear camera on sling strap, so any bag I am carrying in addition is going to be automatically known to have gear in it. So I ended up going with this bag:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-DSLR-Cameras-Accessories/dp/B002...qid=1457712543

Just thought I'd add it to your considerations because it seems to meet your list... It's not the loudest bag in the world, is a relatively low price and packs a lot of stuff including tripod. My only con: I didn't realize how tacky the zipper handles are so I personally chose to remove the logos on them with a knife.. Other than that I am good to go! (I also have a friend who may be replacing the zipper handles with some more stylish leather handles for me haha...)
03-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #21

I also use a Click Elite pack - the Contrejour 35. Its a little larger than the two previously mentioned but does fit in an overhead bin. It is a little tight under the seat though - the dimensions may also not be strictly to airlines regs. It has tons of room for gear - camera and otherwise. I also use a Mountainsmith Descent AT chest pack as an insert in a regular backpack. I like the Descent as it holds a K-3 with the 60-250 attached vertically with room on the sides for 2-4 other lenses. My pack of choice for carrying the Descent is the Osprey Kode (38 & 42l versions). This pack is a backcountry skiing pack that has a great suspension and a rear panel zip for accessing my camera. The one advantage of the insert/pack setup is that I can carry the Descent separately with a shoulder strap if I just want to bring my camera gear. I recently looked on the Mountainsmith webside and they may have updated the Descent model so it may not be as useable.
03-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #22

Take a look at the Vanguard "Kinray" meets your criteria... I can fit a K3, 17-50m , 50-150, 100-300 , filters etc. and there is a place to strap on a tripod. downside is it is heavy when you carry it.

03-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

til you got to the price, I was going to suggest Front Pocket Leather Backpack - Multi-Pocket Backpack | Saddleback Leather Co.

Designed for comfort through the long haul
Perfect for organizing cameras, lenses and gear
Neoprene lower back padding
4 exterior D-rings for lashing tripods and other gear
Three big, roomy exterior pockets for quick access to stuff
Space behind exterior pockets for quick stowing
Adjustable shoulder straps won’t dig into your ribcage or love handles
Utility strap closure to close opening nice and tight
Body of bag made with only two pieces of leather
No breakable parts e.g. zippers, snaps, buttons, etc.
Because of natural oils shade may vary
Dimensions (approximate size):

14” backpack
Interior: 11” W x 13 ½ (adjustable)” H x 8 Ό” D
Exterior: 12” W x 14” H x 9 Ό” D
5.9 pounds
17” backpack
Interior: 11 Ύ” W x 16 (adjustable)” H x 8” D
Exterior: 12” W x 17” H x 9 Ό” D
6.4 pounds
Attached Images

Last edited by narual; 03-11-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: huuuge image
03-11-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I'd back up the previous comment on Naneu backpacks, Meets the budget, has a dedicated strap system for tripods, The K3L or more recent version will do all the rest you hoped for. Very comfortable webbing system takes the bag away from your back and isn't particularly heavy of itself unlike many of the canvas or leather bags.
The K4L vs2 is the current version. Just checked their web site. Has enough extra pockets to carry your passport on the outside as well.��
Shopping is fun, hey.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 03-11-2016 at 02:35 PM.
03-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Check out the Clik Elite Probody Sport here: Probody Sport - CS | | Clik Elite. It's $190 and I believe does everything you need. It certainly hit the spot for me after LOTS of research.
I have this bag as well and really like to use it when I'm very active and need my bag to stay well-balanced and close to my body. But in my experience, it holds less than the Lowepro aw Photo Sport 200. And the Clik Elite doesn't comfortably accommodate my laptop.
03-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The Swedish company Thule have some packs that fit the opening posters criteria: Camera Backpacks

I have seen the Thule bags in person. They are well made. They are in line with the Clik Elite bags. In terms of size and fit. I would say the Thule bags have a slightly better finish but the Clik Elite packs have a better harness system. Shoulder straps and hip support that are the quality of a dedicated camping backpack. Their packs are really built around this concept.

Personally I use a Clik Elite Compact Sport because of the comfort. Plus the small size. I am fairly certain I will be able to fit the K-1 in the Compact Sport. I travel lite.
03-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I have this bag as well and really like to use it when I'm very active and need my bag to stay well-balanced and close to my body. But in my experience, it holds less than the Lowepro aw Photo Sport 200. And the Clik Elite doesn't comfortably accommodate my laptop.
I looked at the Photo Sport 200 but never got a chance to try one in person, it holds quite a bit in my experience, though, including my 15" Retina MacBook Pro.
03-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #28
DAZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pelican has a line of backpacks you might want to investigate.

DAZ
03-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I have the Clik elite venture 30. It will hold my k3 with sigma 50-150 attached plus a few other primes. Also enough room to get my two flashes in there as well. The top part is plenty big to hold a jacket and some other stuff. Plus the very top compartment has plenty of room for accessories.

I also have this one. I have it with K-3 and tamron 28-75 + 4 more lenses. If it would be too small, the venture 35 is bigger. Tripod can be attached in 3 different ways. Top compartment can hold some lunch etc.
Otherwise the clik elite Escape could work. More room for camera gear. bit less for personal stuff. But jacket can be easily stowed away in it.
03-14-2016, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I have the Clik elite venture 30. It will hold my k3 with sigma 50-150 attached plus a few other primes. Also enough room to get my two flashes in there as well. The top part is plenty big to hold a jacket and some other stuff. Plus the very top compartment has plenty of room for accessories.
I came here to recommend this exact specific bag. Just got back from its first trip carrying my gear over a weekend at Palo Duro Canyon. This bag was perfect.

It held my K-5iis + 17-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, DA55-300WR, DFA100WR, and DA50 in the dedicated photo gear section. Plus 1-2 flashes, a fleece, a rain slicker, plenty of water and lunch in the upper section. Filters in the top pocket. Tripod supported externally in the center. Plus a 2L hydrapak in the sleeve.

Hiked 16 mi over the weekend, including dark-sky overnight hiking in rugged terrain. Totally comfortable and carried the load well.

Bought new for $90 two weeks ago at B&H. Value of a lifetime right there. Find one... it's a joy for this kind of purpose.