Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I replaced my LowePro Slingshot 300 AW with a Manfrotto 3n1-35 pl pro light backpack, which I quite like for its versatility. This seems to fit your requirements, so that's another one for you to consider?

Wim

03-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
humm...thanks for the different suggestions guys. i think i'll wait for to own the K1 first, and see what bags will fit it with my other gear. that way i'm not fighting my bags in the future.
04-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Be prepared, finding the perfect camera bag is a bit of an endless quest for a holy grail that just may not exist.

The only comment I have is that as much as we want to carry a lot of gear, think critically about the need for all that gear. Even in a comfortable backpack, pounds or kilos of camera gear get tiring pretty quick. If you are hiking around, it'll shorten your range even if you think you are managing ok. I learned this on a hiking trip where a heavy bag of camera equipment kept a day hike from making it to the end destination. 10 extra pounds didn't seem like much, but hiking up a 5000 foot mountain never happened because after 3000 feet, I couldn't go any further. That 10 extra pounds felt like 30.

I've since cut my travel kit down to my camera and one or two lenses (or perhaps four small primes). I do like carrying dedicated backpacks as they are ergonomically better suited to travel. Inserts make them a camera bag and more.
04-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I found this bag recently.
Seems to fit your description

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/318284-vanguard-kinray-48-a.html.

04-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
For your list of requirements, it seems obvious that the best choice will be an actual backpack with an insert. You will get much, much more convenience this way, a better fitted bag, less obvious, etc. You can get inserts to fit just about any bag format if you shop around a bit (in particular, the Cubeze from Ape Case come in many shapes and sizes). You can find a bag with two compartments, and have the insert in one of them, the erst of your gear in another. for instance, I use the McKingley Lynx 28, which fits me well (and even has a mesh back) and an insert for the lower compartment:

Mine can carry a camera with 16-85 lens attached, a flash, two Limiteds accessories (batteries, cleaning kit, etc) and a 100 macro WR. If I need to carrry the 60-250 it goes, in its pouch, in the top compartment (which carries a water bladder, lunch, jacket, etc). The tripod (Sirui T-025X) goes on the side, held in the bottle pocket and with the compression strap. I also have a Op-tech lens pouch with belt hooks which attaches to the hip strap and lets me switch lenses easily on the fly.

You seem to require a bit more capacity, so maybe a second, smaller insert at the bottom of the top compartment could complete your kit. Or another bag with a different configuration would be better. In any case, I doubt you'll find a dedicated camera bag fitting even closely what you require.
This is exactly the way I am going. Just looking for a backpack with the bottom (sleeping bag) compartment that's not too big. So far the ones I came across in our camping store are too big - 65 liters and up...
04-22-2016, 11:59 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it exists. (Except for the passport part) Called Fancier Kingkong 40. I have one and it does everything you want, cheaply. It even has a rain cover and tripod capability.
See http://geb.ebay.com/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=130633446143
04-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
This is exactly the way I am going. Just looking for a backpack with the bottom (sleeping bag) compartment that's not too big. So far the ones I came across in our camping store are too big - 65 liters and up...
For reference (and again, I'm not saying you should get that one, just get one with a good fit for you) the Lynx 28 has a... 28 liters volume. I find it's perfect for me. They also do a 25 liters version. I'm sure you can find a day pack to fit your needs.