Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Backpack for biking

Hey guys, which backpack would you recommend me for outdoor activities, especially biking?

I'd like it to be rather lightweight.
This would be the max. setup:
- 1x K-3 (or possibly K-1) with a lens attached (DA*300 f4 or FA* 80-200 f2.8, nothing bigger)
- 1x normal zoom (like DA* 16-50)
- 1x prime like FA limited or wide angle

So far I found Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW (or maybe 15L?).

What else could meet my criteria?

03-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I like Mountainsmith backpacks. They have a huge range and are well designed. Take a look at their website. Mountainsmith.com
03-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

"Biking": I assume you mean bicycle not motorcycle. I have yet to find a satisfactory carrying technique for a DSLR on a bicycle:
  • Storing it in a bag on my back takes too long to retrieve when a photo moment presents itself. It's okay for landscapes but not fleeting street scenes and wildlife.
  • Strapping it to my chest keeps the camera quickly accessible. I made something similar to OP/TECH USA Stabilizer Strap. It seems too risky in a crash, likely to ruin the camera plus my ribs.
  • A side belt holster okay for a tiny camera but a DSLR+lens is too big considering all the hip movement for bicycling.
  • A bag mounted to the bike will subject the camera to more jolts than if it's on your back or chest.
I usually leave the DSLR at home and bring my Ricoh GR bicycling. The OP is talking about a 300mm lens, though, so my solution doesn't work for the OP.
03-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I assume you mean bicycle not motorcycle.

Yes, bicycle. This one is mine and I truly like it.

03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

Well as long as you're going for some backpacks like the Lowepro I'd think that's a good choice.

There are other manufacturers I'm aware of
- F-stop (Loka UL)
- Dakine (Sync Photo pack)
- Tamrac (Hoodoo)
- Kata

Just remember to try the pack on with your helmet to be sure that the pack doesn't push on the helmet while in a riding position.
- Kata
03-13-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Hey guys, which backpack would you recommend me for outdoor activities, especially biking?

I'd like it to be rather lightweight.
This would be the max. setup:
- 1x K-3 (or possibly K-1) with a lens attached (DA*300 f4 or FA* 80-200 f2.8, nothing bigger)
- 1x normal zoom (like DA* 16-50)
- 1x prime like FA limited or wide angle

So far I found Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW (or maybe 15L?).

What else could meet my criteria?
How about the Lowepro Photo Sport 200?
03-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Take a look at the Mountainsmith Tour FX at B&H.

03-14-2016, 01:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was researching this the other day as my son wants me to go riding with him and of course I start thinking about photo ops. It seems many people opt to carry their dslr's in a camera type bag strapped to the handlebars, this means its got easy access and the weight is centered over the center of the wheel and it seems much easier than having a backpack.
03-14-2016, 01:33 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use the Lowepro 15L when hiking. I use a Deuter if cycling with a smaller mirrorless setup. For DSLR and bigger lenses including 70-200 they're distributed between two panniers off a rear rack and free my back from sweat and weight altogether. ☺
03-14-2016, 02:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Read this review Review: Clik Elite Venture 30 Camera Backpack
I have the venture 30 and the probody sport. And for riding I do prefer the probody sport for it's compactness over the venture. The venture carries more gear, so will be heavier.
03-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was looking for something similar, and the Handlebar bags were interesting in the fact that their content is easily accessible.
Arkel makes some nice ones, but may not be large enough for a K-3+ DA300

Handlebar Bag - Arkel Waterproof Handlebar bags

the large one could enough for a smaller lens though, and it's waterproof!

04-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
Read this review Review: Clik Elite Venture 30 Camera Backpack
I have the venture 30 and the probody sport. And for riding I do prefer the probody sport for it's compactness over the venture. The venture carries more gear, so will be heavier.
The Clik Elite Probody Sport or compact hands down are the best bicycle backpacks. I liked them so well I purchased two. Both the Compact and Probody bags. (The Probody is 4 liters larger). It will easily fit my K-3 and F*300 lens plus several other lenses and room for a windbreaker or light lunch. These are extremely well made and will protect your gear. Much better than Lowepro in my opinion. And best of all Bhphotovideo has them on sale for only $79.95 and $87.50 respectively. Clik Elite | B&H Photo Video

Also check out this bicycle website too which does an in-depth review on both Clik bags. Review: Clik Elite Probody and Compact Sport MTB DSLR Photography Hydration Packs | Bike198

Here's my bike. A Trek Allant commuter. Love it.