Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Have a look at f-stop's Mountain range of backpacks. Targeted at photographers, you choose your backpack and a camera insert (called ICU) the right size for your gear. The ICU can be secured within the backpack and access is through the back panel. You can use the backpack with a range of different sized ICUs, or without any just as a normal backpack.

I have the Loka (predecessor of the current Ajna model) and it's amazing. Comfortable to wear, loads of smart features and an extremely high material and manufacturing quality. I wrote a review for my website which you can check out. But for your needs the Lotus might be a better size.
I have this same model and I support everything Mr Fox said here. I also find it more comfortable than Lowepro bags even when completely stuffed with camera gear.

03-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, great suggestions and things I wouldn't have looked at. Found some I really like...what to do...what to do...
03-17-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Th clik elite venture 30 (or 35) is also very good. You can open it up totally and take the dividers out. If you would get a clik elite chestpack, you can clik it on the pack and carry it on y0ur chest. thus having a normal backpack on your back and the holster in fron of you art the ready
03-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I don't have experience with any of these, but to me the overriding issue would be carry-on compatibility with the smallest aircraft that you're likely to fly on. I've found that most photo backpacks wouldn't be allowed. Many of the aircraft will only accommodate a very tiny backpack, so you're better off with a totally unpadded pack and just using a t-shirt or even something smaller to separate the equipment. That way the contents can shift around as you try to stuff the pack into the tiny storage bins or underseat space. An non-removable padded dividers take up too much space and make the pack too rigid.

03-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #20

I use the Lowepro Rover Pro 45L AW. It's basically a full-grown hiking backpack (mesh back, broad waist strap, ...) with a camera insert (actually two, but I only use the large one). Has plenty of space available for day trips. It is adjustable for different torso lengths within a certain range (I'm about 1.75m and wish I could make it just a little bit shorter). Not quite as comfortable as my normal Deuter Gröden 35 backpack, but pretty close. It (barely) fits the size requirements for carry-on luggage (55x40x20 cm) if you make sure not to stuff it. Afair, a smaller 35L version is available as well. And it's relatively cheap if you compare it with the ones offered by f-stop.