Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The T-025X can surely support a 645. The head should, as long as it's not tipped too low I guess. It's rated for a heavier weight than that but I've never tested it with anything worse than a K-3 with 60-250. It worked flawlessly for that.

I replaced the head with a Sirui K10X at Christmas, and even though it's only slightly larger, it's MUCH sturdier. Impressively so.

With tripods, you mostly get what you pay for. I have a 40$ Dolica and even though it works, it's leagues behind the Sirui. The T-025X is the lightest, most compact, and strongest of the travel tripods. and even though it's expensive, it's a bit cheaper than the competition, with a better warranty. There's also an aluminum version if price is an issue.
My experience with the T-025X was that it was a little too light. It could support my K3 and 12-24 OK, but I wouldn't try it with a bigger lens. Also I found that in any wind or trying to stand it in moving water it just wasn't stable enough. I traded up for a Sirui N2204X. It is significantly heavier (about 2X the weight), but still on the lighter side, and critically still fits in a carry on backpack when folded up.
(Sirui N-2204X Carbon Fiber Tripod SUN2204X B&H Photo Video)

Really depends on your priorities. Nothing against the T-025X and I would have liked for it to work for me, but I needed something sturdier. Have been using the N2204X for 2 years now.

05-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I highly recommend Induro . . .

Induro > Products > Browse by Categories > Grand Turismo > Travel > GTT104M1 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod Kits - 4 Sections
05-24-2016, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #18

+1 on Induro, purchased one of the carbon fiber ones a decade ago and its been a fantastic travel tripod for the money. Naming system is bit different but mine is comparable to the CLT204.
05-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would go with a Gitzo G226 with a Giotto ball head (I use the MH-1301 with quick release plate). I have used 200 series Gitzo tripods for 30+ years and they have never failed me. Strong enough to support even heavy SLR outfit (supports over 13 pounds). I even use it for my 4x5 field camera. Don't skimp on a tripod purchase. A good one will last you forever.

05-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I ended up ordering a Dolicia, arrived in the mail today. I was planning on getting a more expensive tripod, but this seems like a cheap and cheery tripod - sure packs up small too!
Thanks for all the additional suggestions. As mentioned above I've bought a tripod, though I skimped a bit. I will likely buy one of these high end tripods at a later date when I have more disposable income. Starting a new small business, need to really be sharp(ish) about cash flow.
05-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Looking for a sturdy, lightweight travel tripod
Sturdy and light don't usually go well together when it comes to tripods, perhaps some of the "better" makes in carbon fibre may suit your needs.
05-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Sturdy and light don't usually go well together when it comes to tripods, perhaps some of the "better" makes in carbon fibre may suit your needs.
Oh I know. I come from the bike world, I totally understand that I'm asking for a lot. Kind of looking for a good compromise given unrealistic goals... Which I found!

05-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the additional suggestions. As mentioned above I've bought a tripod, though I skimped a bit. I will likely buy one of these high end tripods at a later date when I have more disposable income. Starting a new small business, need to really be sharp(ish) about cash flow.
So which Dolica did you get and how do you like it?

I'm looking for the same thing, debating between the Dolica (at $70) and the Sirui (at $200). I'm sure the Sirui is better, but is it 3 times better?
05-27-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote

I'm looking for the same thing, debating between the Dolica (at $70) and the Sirui (at $200). I'm sure the Sirui is better, but is it 3 times better?
I myself purchased the Dolica. I got the one posted in this thread, the carbon fiber ZX600B103. It is a good tripod, but it may not be super sturdy. Mine cracked within the first week of use. Luckily with Amazon's liberal return system I was able to return it and get a replacement within a few days (I received the replacement before I was even able to ship out the original.) It could have been a defective unit or an incredible fluke, though I'd be wary. I haven't been able to use the new copy yet, but based on my use of the one that broke the tripod is excellent with a few caveats. Build quality is compromised in a few places, using plastic in some locations, most notably the twist locks on the legs which is very disappointing. The carbon fiber is light and feels good, but looking at how the leg had cracked, it frays in the way cardboard does and is fairly thin and hollow. The carrying bag is worthless, fraying at the seams with almost no use and the zipper became really stiff and hard to move. A nice thing is the Dolica is fully modular and replacement parts are available on their website for a small fee if I'm unlucky again.
05-27-2016, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I ended up getting the Dolica TX570. It definitely seems pretty good for a budget tripod! The head moves a tiny bit when you tighten it, but for the price it works great. I took this photo with it earlier today, I love being able to stick it in my backpack biking. Being able to shoot at ISO 100 is the bomb.

05-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the, quick, helpful replies!

It's always possible to get a defective unit, even on the high end stuff so I'm not too worried about that.

The TX570 comes in two versions, the SL and the DS, with monopod, (and a slightly bigger ballhead). They're essentially the same price. I'm leaning towards the DS based on some of the reviews.
06-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #27

I am also planning to buy my first tripod and a cheap travel one. I came across to a Horus Bennu C2540 travel tripod with a LX3T ballhead HorusBennu DSLR Camera 8x Carbon Fiber Tripod TF 2540C Trans Monopod Mini Tripod | eBay

Anyone have any info?

Last edited by aritra; 06-24-2016 at 02:46 PM.
06-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aritra Quote
I am also planning to buy my first tripod and a cheap travel one. I came across to a Horus Bennu C2540 travel tripod with a LX3T ballhead HorusBennu DSLR Camera 8x Carbon Fiber Tripod TF 2540C Trans Monopod Mini Tripod | eBay

Anyone have any info?
Like everything else from that brand, it's good, not great. It depends what you have in mind. A cheap tripod will be steady enough, as long as your lens is not too heavy, the wind not too strong, the floor not to bouncy, etc.

You get what you pay for,
06-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the, quick, helpful replies!

It's always possible to get a defective unit, even on the high end stuff so I'm not too worried about that.

The TX570 comes in two versions, the SL and the DS, with monopod, (and a slightly bigger ballhead). They're essentially the same price. I'm leaning towards the DS based on some of the reviews.
Which did you end up getting? I have the non-monopod one, I don't think I would use the monopod much, it's quite a nice tripod.
06-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know the difference between the Sirui C10-S and C10-X ball heads?

The load test video posted earlier shows the C10-X but most of the options on B&H come with C10-S and I can't seem to find any information about this head...