Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
Does anyone know the difference between the Sirui C10-S and C10-X ball heads?

The load test video posted earlier shows the C10-X but most of the options on B&H come with C10-S and I can't seem to find any information about this head...
Typo?

X and S are right next to each other on a (QWERTY) keyboard.

06-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The company website seems to indicate the CX series is old and no longer current. The links that may help are below.

CS Series ǀ Sirui

CX Series ǀ Sirui
06-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Like everything else from that brand, it's good, not great. It depends what you have in mind. A cheap tripod will be steady enough, as long as your lens is not too heavy, the wind not too strong, the floor not to bouncy, etc.gle,
You get what you pay for,
Thanks. This will be my first tripod. My Current body is K5IIS and the heaviest lens I have is 16-85. I will buy a 100mm in couple of months and perhaps a bigma, and a wide and a wide angle. MY primary use will be for landscape. I would expect strong wind, but I will be hanging my bag to support and some macro at this point.
06-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aritra Quote
This will be my first tripod.
Many people (me included) say that sentence, and end up spending more, total, than they would have if they had bought a better product up front.

You wouldn't expect a no-name eBay lens to perform to the level of a Pentax lens, would you? The same applies to tripods.

bigma
I wouldn't trust a chinese knock-off for that lens.

I will be hanging my bag to support and some macro at this point
Hanging a bag is nice and all, except if the legs bend or buckle under the weight.

If you don't plan on doing long exposures, you should be ok (I've taken some great shots with my cheap Dolica 40$ tripod). However, now that I have a fine Sirui tripod, I've never once used the Dolica, and I now understand what all those other people meant. Even with a 100$ head, the Dolica can't hold a candle to the Sirui.

06-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #35

Oh, No, The primary reason for buying the tripod is long exposure. Macro and other types of photography comes later. I had sirui T-025x in my mind after reading the review in PF, but with the reviews in other forums and in BH, I had second thoughts. I heard the center column is not entirely removable, no rotation of center column, no spiked feet and with bags the feet bends.
I recently rented a basic vanguard CF tripod, with very thin legs, but it stayed rock steady in high winds with my K5IIS and 16-85 for a long exposure with a bag hanging at the base.
I came across Vanguard VEO 265CB which seems cool but lacked the hook. Any suggestion?
06-29-2016, 04:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I heard the center column is not entirely removable
True, or false, depending on how you look at it. "removable center column" is not, per se, a feature that should or should not be desired. Ultra compact tripods are not designed the same way as "regular" tripods. This means you can't pull out the center column completely. On the other hand, you can unscrew it and attach the head directly to the "spider" part of the tripod, which achieves the same purpose:

no rotation of center column
Why would that be desirable? It just suggests that the center column can skip and rotate as you tighten stuff. That's why good tripod heads have a panning plate.

no spiked feet
That's a feature found on many cheap tripods, indeed (my Dolica has it). Based on my experience, spiked feet that can be hidden underneath rubber (typically by screwing the rubber part up or down, hiding or showing the spikes) is the perfect dirt and sand magnet. It takes forever to clean them, and in particular sand can get into the grooves and make the system hard to move.

Much better to have good, non-slip rubber feet.

with bags the feet bends
It depends on the weight. It IS a lightweight tripod, not made for extra-heavy loads. I can make mine buckle if I want, of course, but I'll need to attach a lot more weight than required for that.

I recently rented a basic vanguard CF tripod
"Vanguard", "carbon fiber" and "basic" do not go together Such a tripod is likely to be excellent (Vanguard make great products) but it will be far from cheap. Nor is the T-025X cheap. My point is exactly this : you get what you pay for. I'm not saying everybody should get the T-025X, just that almost everyone buying cheap legs and heads end up buying more expensive stuff in the future.
06-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Which did you end up getting? I have the non-monopod one, I don't think I would use the monopod much, it's quite a nice tripod.
I ended up getting the one with the monopod based on this review by Dave T.

I think it's a little longer (folded) and heavier than the one without the monopod. Mine folds to 13" (specs say 12.5" and weighs 2 3/4 lbs. (the specs say 2.5lbs) and holds my K-3II with average lens such as the 16-85 or 55-300 okay. I wouldn't use it with the DA*300 though. So far I haven't noticed any issues with the ball head slipping or any other problems.

I wanted a small, light tripod for evening/blue hour shots. One that would be easy to carry. I have several other tripods but they too heavy to tote around on the chance I might want to use one. The best tripod in the world is worthless if it's left at home or in the car.

06-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #38

Thanks mate. SInce you are using t-025x, can I use it, with 16-85 or rokinon 8mm with K5IIS for long exposure in high wind? like in mountain or in sea beach?
06-30-2016, 01:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

A bit unrealistic maybe to think a small light portable tripod is going to deliver the stability one needs for long exposures in high wind..... say 20 knots gusting plus 50%. (I have a t-025x.....)..... especially if looking for some height...(as opposed to having it low with the legs splayed)

For those conditions I'd use my W-2204 Sirui...... which is in no way as portable as the t-025x is...... but some would consider the 2204 portable!

..... if photography is what it's about you'll find a way to carry the 2204...... but if you are just travelling (say OS with familly) and want to be able to stash a tripod just in case...... the t-025x is a well made compromise.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-30-2016 at 01:54 AM.
06-30-2016, 01:57 AM   #40

I've been using manfrotto & some old gitzos for some time. For travel, i discoverd 3LG two years ago.
https://www.3leggedthing.com/

got two carbons, a very high and a short depending on the travel, on long travels i take both as i can use deported flashes on them.

The short & compact little one that handles the 645D+75mm very well, it's the KEITH Evolution 2 - 3LTX0LEGS.

i use their basic Rotule Ball AH0.

hope i could help !
06-30-2016, 05:02 AM   #41
Pentaxian

SInce you are using t-025x, can I use it, with 16-85 or rokinon 8mm with K5IIS for long exposure in high wind? like in mountain or in sea beach?
Hi,

my go-to lens is the 16-85, and my camera is the K-3 (K-1 in the mail). I've shot with the T-025X in all sorts of conditions, with good success. "Long exposure" and "high winds" are loose definitions, however, so it's hard to answer. There are of course situations that won't work, for any tripod. As with a camera, the best tripod is the one you have with you, so for me the T-025X is a godsend. And even with its diminutive size, the carbon fiber means it's less prone to vibrations than my other tripod (a cheaper, aluminum tripod weighting 3 pounds, with a high-quality head attached to it).
07-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #42

okay, quick question. T-025x or Vanguard abeo plus 363ct? The later one is on $220 off at adorama for $209, but without head. Height is not my requirement, as I am a short guy.
I am looking for one within $250, and preferably CF.
Vanguard ABEO Plus 363 Carbon Fiber Tripod ABEO PLUS 363CT
07-01-2016, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

T-025x or Vanguard abeo plus 363ct?
I'd choose the T-025x.
07-01-2016, 08:12 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the OP is in Ottawa, I'll throw this London Drugs "exclusive" into the mix. I don't use any tripod a lot, but I've had this one for a year now. It's a lot more than $70, but the legs are sturdy and whatever brand name tripod they were copying, it checks off almost all of the features. The fit, especially in the head, isn't great and some corners were definitely cut to reduce the price, but it still works, it's rated for 11 kg and after figuring the exchange rate in, it wasn't much more than an aluminium Sirui from B&H.
07-01-2016, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

okay, quick question. T-025x or Vanguard abeo plus 363ct? The later one is on $220 off at adorama for $209, but without head. Height is not my requirement, as I am a short guy.
I am looking for one within $250, and preferably CF.
Vanguard ABEO Plus 363 Carbon Fiber Tripod ABEO PLUS 363CT
Not comparable in my view.....the vangard is 3kg! (T-025x is 1kg).... need to decide your priorities...... heavier weight, significantly larger size packed down and maybe sturdyness over portability with near best sturdiness for 1kg weight/small form factor.....the vanguard is more like a Sirui 2204

With tripods, I believe you can not have it all. I chose a T-025x initially for light weight travel and hiking....... then latter added a larger tripod for when portability is a lesser concern, but stability for long exposures was a primary consideration given varying conditions (wind, longer lenses, pixel shift etc)

Last edited by noelpolar; 07-01-2016 at 06:47 PM.