Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monopod and Shake Reduction

I couldn't find this on a search so someone direct me if this has been asked before.

Should Shake Reduction be turned on or off when using a monopod?

I know that it is recommended to turn it off when using a tripod, but do same rules apply? Anyone have any experience one way or another? Thanks.

07-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would think keep it on. A monopod can help keep things more still, but not totally still.
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
MrA

Does shake reduction have some kind of orientation sensor? I mean, a monopod stabilises vertical motion, but not lateral. So if antishake is just a universal anti-motion, rather than something more intelligent, it would surely eliminate the lateral but add vertical motion back in again... ?
07-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think we're in danger of running away with this notion that SR puts motion back in when there is none.

Personally I don't think the evidence for it is at all compelling.

There have been a few reports of on-tripod SR causing blur. However, these are anecdotal, and not usually backed up with solid evidence.

I've investigated this fairly carefully, and found no actual evidence of additional blur caused by SR, although I have found a temporary camera malfunction that is reason not to carry out manually-released, tripod-mounted, very long exposures with SR on.

What people sometimes don't realise is that the K10D automatically turns SR off in almost all the cases where you'd be using the camera on a tripod - so all the mirror-up delay modes, and all the remote-release modes have SR off, regardless where the body switch is set.

So, if anyone has done a carefully conducted experiment and found good evidence for SR-induced blur, using the camera on a tripod and releasing the shutter, undelayed, using their finger on the button, I'd be very interested to hear details of it.

07-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I would actually suggest to notuse SR at all. I find my results are softer and less pleasing with SR.
07-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

On a monopod I've used SR both on and off in sports shooting situations. I cannot directly compare 2 photos to see whether or not I should or shouldn't leave it on. My keeper rate seemed similar in both situations so I have not yet made up my mind which mode is "better". So at this stage I tend to leave it on as I still shake a bit with a monopod, and especially in winter!
07-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I keep it on and think it helps with the monopod but if I know I will be panning I turn it off.

07-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Monopod on, tripod off (except when panning at slow shutter speeds). So I've read.

A monopod reduces motion. A tripod should have no motion.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-08-2008 at 10:55 PM.
07-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Will get my monopod this week and if I discover anything interesting I'll let you know.
07-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have had my share of pictures coming out blurred because I left the SR on when using my monopod. I have tried it on and off and have had better results with with it off. I mostly use my monopod for sports shooting with a telephoto. You can only try it and see what works for you.