Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sling bag and tremors

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I would like to hear from someone who has a sling bag. When you turn the bag to the front can you rest the weight of yout elbow on it? What I was hoping if this was possible I would be able to hold my camera up in position for support to help with shaking.
Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Randy

03-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I would like to hear from someone who has a sling bag. When you turn the bag to the front can you rest the weight of yout elbow on it? What I was hoping if this was possible I would be able to hold my camera up in position for support to help with shaking.
Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Randy
Sling bags are highly variable as to exactly how they rest (and are adjustable). Plus everyone's body is different. So you really have to try it. But, in general, I'd say no, that is probably going to be of limited help. You probably don't want to carry around a big stabilizer device they use for video (although there are a million of them out there now if you do), but a monopod with a shoulder brace can work wonders and be used in a variety of ways (including similar to a video rig by using the monopod in shortened position just jammed against your waist or into a pouch). Creating some tension to push against can also help ala the "string tripod" method or similar. (Google it.)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554102-REG/Manfrotto_080_080_Monopod_B...l/prm/alsVwDtl

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html
03-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you were looking for an excuse for getting a K-1 (and who isn't?) the articulating screen might come in really handy--since you wouldn't have to bring the camera up to eye-level to use the OVF.
03-22-2016, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I use my neck strap like a rifle sling. It helps significantly with tremors.

03-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
I use my neck strap like a rifle sling. It helps significantly with tremors.
Thanks
Not owning a gun, could you please explain this better?
Are you using view finder or live view?

Randy
03-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Lowepro Transit Sling Bag. It is very adjustable. I experience hand shake as well. I have found that resting my elbow on the bag when it is horizontal to my body provides pretty good stabilization. I have found monopods to be less helpful, even jammed against my body. In general the combination of using the bag as support and watching my shutter speed to keep it above 160 works pretty well. If you can go to a camera store that sells a sling bag you are interested in, I would do so with your camera and try it for yourself. Using a grip with heavier telephoto lenses adds additional stability.

Lisa
03-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Thanks
Not owning a gun, could you please explain this better?
Are you using view finder or live view?

Randy
OVF. It's more the principle of placing tension on the strap to create a solid base, rather than using a rifle stance like Heie demonstrated in his shooting guide. I hook the strap around my elbow and push out. It's like using a rope or belt pulled tight between foot and hand as a monopod.

03-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I have a Kata T-214 (now discontinued, of course) that is a chest/sling bag that provides a pretty good platform... not sure what kind of luck you would have finding one now though. Look at the photo here to see how it sits.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kata-T-214-GDC-Torso-Pack/dp/B000NDCZES