Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ebay . . .
Didn't think of that. Will have to check it out.

03-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Lesmore49,
I realize this thread is old, and you likely already obtained your light meter. I just wanted to say that I went with a Gossen GO H264A Sixtomat F2 Light Meter over the equally fine Sekonic L-308C-U mainly because of the smaller form factor, and slightly lower cost. Gossen's reputation is, IMHO, comparable to Sekonic, and they both take a single AA battery, which is most convenient. Another cool feature of the Gossen is that it has no On/Off switch...just position the dome for incident/reflected or flash, and fire a test shot, either manually or via Sync cord. Have fun! Regards, Steve
03-16-2019, 05:21 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
which one should I get ?
Aye old thread, old Kerrowdown, goes well with an old meter.

I'm still using my humble and have done for years now...

Sangamo Weston Light Meter Weston Master V reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Provided of course flash meter set ups are not required.
03-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevelink Quote
Hi Lesmore49,
I realize this thread is old, and you likely already obtained your light meter. I just wanted to say that I went with a Gossen GO H264A Sixtomat F2 Light Meter over the equally fine Sekonic L-308C-U mainly because of the smaller form factor, and slightly lower cost. Gossen's reputation is, IMHO, comparable to Sekonic, and they both take a single AA battery, which is most convenient. Another cool feature of the Gossen is that it has no On/Off switch...just position the dome for incident/reflected or flash, and fire a test shot, either manually or via Sync cord. Have fun! Regards, Steve
I did get a new light meter. It's a Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III and I like it a lot. Fast, no battery, high and low. I use it both inside and outside and it meters quite well . A lot of times gives my pictures a different look...at least I think so...maybe I'm imagining things.

Two things I don't like and they are relatively minor.

One is the manual cautions the owner about storing the meter (it has a powerful magnet) and to not store it close to apparatus sensitive to magnetic fields, as data stored may be damaged. Cash cards, floppy discs, other magnetic card, TV sets, etc. I don't know if this includes camera memory storage cards...my SDHC cards, but to be safe I don't put the meter in the same bag as my cameras and SD cards. I'm not technologically aware enough to know if this is an issue or not, but I do this to be on the safe side.

I usually carry it separate from my camera bag, either in it's own small bag or with it's strap around my neck and the meter in my shirt/jacket pocket and that's the other thing...the strap doesn't seem very robust. No it hasn't broken, but I've tried to replace it with a beefier strap but the metal strap connection on the meter has a very narrow entry and won't accept a strap of any substance.

Other than that I'm pleased with it and apparently it is based on the old Hollywood meter...the Norwood Director...and the vintage look and that 'vintage' history have an added appeal for me.

---------- Post added 03-16-19 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye old thread, old Kerrowdown, goes well with an old meter.

I'm still using my humble and have done for years now...

Sangamo Weston Light Meter Weston Master V reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Provided of course flash meter set ups are not required.
I have a separate flash meter that I still use on occasion. I did think of getting a more modern exposure meter than my L-398A...a digital, electronic device that could also do flash readings, but in the end I didn't. However I have sometimes wondered if perhaps that's the way I should of gone, although I'm happy with my L-398A. Also a modern, electronic meter would be able to be carried in my bag with my other equipment and cards without worry of damage to equipment or cards...no powerful magnet...or I assume so.

Last edited by lesmore49; 03-16-2019 at 09:23 AM.