Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Remote shutter release?

I have noticed Pentax has a few different remote shutter releases.

"Waterproof Infrared Remote" and "Remote Control F"

Which of these is a better option?

03-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote

To be completely honest, I just have a Samsung S5 and I have an app which makes it act as an IR remote. So if you're on a budget, and your smartphone has an IR port, this is the way to go
03-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The water proof would be nice but you can also buy cheap remotes on ebay for a couple of bucks that will work as good or better (longer range). ASnd now you have a photo option. I prefer carrying a small remote in my pocket than digging a smart phone, but still a nice option to have.
03-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
To be completely honest, I just have a Samsung S5 and I have an app which makes it act as an IR remote. So if you're on a budget, and your smartphone has an IR port, this is the way to go
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I assume it would work. What app did you download?

03-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use DSLR Remote app on my Galaxy. The paid version adds a motion trigger, which can be fun.
03-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Forum Member

anything for the iphone. I have the skinny rectangular Pentax one and its hard to press the button
03-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the remote control F is the go-to for most people. Pretty cheap, small, and easy to find. Smartphone apps are nice too

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
To be completely honest, I just have a Samsung S5 and I have an app which makes it act as an IR remote.
Same here. If you have an Android smartphone, the app is called DSLR Remote and is full-featured. Pentax support is excellent due to the developer being a Pentax owner (I think). For more information:

bitshift - DSLR Remote

Steve
03-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I assume it would work. What app did you download?
I use the DSLR Remote app
03-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pentax IR is very small & has no "eye" for which to loop a cord through it. In other words, I think it could easily be lost. Unless I want to be away from the camera, I use the cord remote.
03-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I use the Vello Wired Remote. It plugs into the camera and derives its power from the camera battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Vello-RS-C1II-Remote-Switch-Samsung/dp/B007CB58NY/ref=...o+wired+remote

It does not have to use the coin shaped batteries, which may not retain power in colder weather.
03-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Since we're off on wire remotes now, is there a gradation in quality between available models, or are they all pretty much the same? (I do have my "Baby Huey" moments whilst afield...)
03-23-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Since we're off on wire remotes now, is there a gradation in quality between available models, or are they all pretty much the same? (I do have my "Baby Huey" moments whilst afield...)
Of course there is variation in quality of both wired and wireless remotes.

I use the Bower RCLC1R wired model. It uses 2 AAA cells, has a lighted display and will not affect the camera battery life when used for long exposures.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

There are similar models sold under multiple names.

Steve
03-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Functionally they are all the same, though some offer additional features. I have 3, an eBay one that looked good but the connector fits loosely so it doesn't always work, the Pentax one (model 205 I think), which is well made, and a vintage vivitar that is by far the best made. So yes the quality does differ, and assuming features are similar you generally get what you pay for.
03-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had no luck with either commerically available IR remotes, I use a wired remote I saw someone mention a German- Made (Hama?) wireless remote that works for several DSLRs including Canon, I need to Google around and see if I can find it.