Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which Card Reader?

My current computer only has USB 2. I need a new card reader for the newer cards (U3). Both of these are USB 3, but also compatible with USB 2. This would be handy right now, and also when I have to get a new computer. Which would you recommend?

SanDisk ImageMate All-in-One USB 3.0 Reader / Writer

Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7) LRW400CRBNA

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

03-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carol, I have the Lexar and it works for me.
03-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Steve; I currently have an upright SanDisk 2.0 reader that I'm very happy with, but with the new one I linked to; I'm a little concerned about that flimsy platform it sits on.
03-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I would be too. The Lexar is nice for traveling if you need one on the road.

03-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I also like that the Lexar goes back in it's case, to keep dust, etc. out of the slots. No biggie, but with my current SanDisk I use a plastic sleeve to cover the unit.
03-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
My current computer only has USB 2. I need a new card reader for the newer cards (U3). Both of these are USB 3, but also compatible with USB 2. This would be handy right now, and also when I have to get a new computer. Which would you recommend?

SanDisk ImageMate All-in-One USB 3.0 Reader / Writer

Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader (UDMA 7) LRW400CRBNA

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Not the Lexar, would be my thoughts. I've had two and have several email conversations about problems with Lexar 'support,'. They tried at first to 'help' and then gave up. The issue were easily revealed by looking in the windows event logs where read errors started stacking up. Two PCs, two Lexars and multiple cable combinations, all with no resolution. The problem may not be noticed unless you notice the error logs, but performance takes a nose dive when the devices are failing. I've switched back to SanDisk, much more reliable...
03-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Barry, thanks for that information! I know my current SanDisk has been absolutely troublefree for years. Perhaps I should continue with it, & get new cards that are compatible with it????

03-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You probably know this but just buying a usb 3 reader does not give you usb 3 speeds unless it is attached to a usb 3 port.
If you do not have a usb 3 port on your motherboard you will also need to buy a usb 3 daughter card to provide the ports.
03-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You probably know this but just buying a usb 3 reader does not give you usb 3 speeds unless it is attached to a usb 3 port.
If you do not have a usb 3 port on your motherboard you will also need to buy a usb 3 daughter card to provide the ports.
Yes, I'm aware of this. The speed is not important to me, rather I'm thinking a little ahead when I get a new computer with USB 3 ports. Both of the readers are compatible with USB2, also. This way either card reader would be compatible with my current computer, and a new one.
03-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you don't mind one that doesn't have a cord, this one on Amazon is an amazing deal at only $6.00! Amazon.com: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)

92% of all the reviews of it are 4-5 star, which is excellent, considering the price!

I have had one for over a year now, and it is definitely faster than my old USB 2.0 SD reader, even with my USB 2.0 ports. I hardly use it any more, since I now have a laptop with a built-in SD card reader which is faster than using USB 2.0...
03-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
I have a transcend, I've had an Anker before. They're both fine. No noticeable flaws.
03-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
If you don't mind one that doesn't have a cord, this one on Amazon is an amazing deal at only $6.00! Amazon.com: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)

92% of all the reviews of it are 4-5 star, which is excellent, considering the price!

I have had one for over a year now, and it is definitely faster than my old USB 2.0 SD reader, even with my USB 2.0 ports. I hardly use it any more, since I now have a laptop with a built-in SD card reader which is faster than using USB 2.0...
I would have to also buy the USB cord to go with it. The one I have now is permanently attached to my reader.
03-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I would have to also buy the USB cord to go with it. The one I have now is permanently attached to my reader.
True, you could just buy a USB extension cable, good idea!