Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy a cheap wireless (less camera shake) remote. Here's the one that I used for over a year till it got burned... Amazon.com : PIXEL RW-221/E3 Wireless Shutter Remote Control Release for Pentax K-5/K-7/K10/K20/K100/K200

The trick is to set the camera to continuous shooting, and the remote to Bulb mode. Then when you hit the button on the remote, it thinks it's doing Bulb, and keeps the shutter continuously depressed. The camera is set to continuous, so it keeps shooting as long as the remote tells it to. When you're done, hit the button on the remote, and it stops! Of course, if you need longer than 30 sec. exposures, that won't work, you'll just have to use Bulb like it's made to be used. This may not be what you're looking for, since it doesn't have a timer, but it's still a nice option to have, and wireless is very handy! Be aware that if you take the remote out of range, it will stop your sequence!

03-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Buy a cheap wireless (less camera shake) remote. Here's the one that I used for over a year till it got burned... Amazon.com : PIXEL RW-221/E3 Wireless Shutter Remote Control Release for Pentax K-5/K-7/K10/K20/K100/K200

The trick is to set the camera to continuous shooting, and the remote to Bulb mode. Then when you hit the button on the remote, it thinks it's doing Bulb, and keeps the shutter continuously depressed. The camera is set to continuous, so it keeps shooting as long as the remote tells it to. When you're done, hit the button on the remote, and it stops! Of course, if you need longer than 30 sec. exposures, that won't work, you'll just have to use Bulb like it's made to be used. This may not be what you're looking for, since it doesn't have a timer, but it's still a nice option to have, and wireless is very handy! Be aware that if you take the remote out of range, it will stop your sequence!
Great idea but you lost the point. The OP needs an intervalometer not just a remote trigger.
03-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i did the under $20 ones (Neweer and other names) from Deal extreme.
Have dunked two in the ocean now, killing both, so i buy two at a time now.

here's a link:

http://www.dx.com/p/viltrox-mc-c1-1-2-lcd-digital-timer-remote-controller-fo...5#.Vvte4UcYlS0

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-29-2016 at 10:07 PM.
03-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Just ordered a Neewer Intervelometer from Amazon.ca for slightly over 30.00Cad delivered.

03-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
This app sounds like should do what may be required and for free. Note the OP asks for an "affordable" intervalometer and this app will make it one less gadget item in the bag.
The problem with using a phone app as a intervalometer is that is is sort of hard to leave unattended. The task drains the battery on both the phone and camera. I use and am VERY fond of the "DSLR Remote" app by bitshift, but have no interest in using its intervalometer feature over the one built into the camera or a wired remote. FWIW, that app is ad-free and is capable of exposure times up to 99'99" with the "B" setting on the camera configured to work as "T" (first press open, second press close).

As for position when doing interval shooting, a common answer is "in the house watching TV".

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-30-2016 at 12:46 PM.
03-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll just go with the Neewer type model.

This app sounds like should do what may be required and for free. Note the OP asks for an "affordable" intervalometer and this app will make it one less gadget item in the bag.
Unfortunately it both drains the already weak battery of my rather old Galaxy S2, which I usually leave in my backpack when out and about in order to have enough juice left in case I really need it (e.g. in an emergency), and it requires some sort of appliance that enables my phone to send out IR signals, because the S2 doesn't have a built in IR blaster.
03-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Great idea but you lost the point. The OP needs an intervalometer not just a remote trigger.
That's why I said what I did! To quote myself:

This may not be what you're looking for, since it doesn't have a timer, but it's still a nice option to have, and wireless is very handy!
It is in fact, an intervalometer, you just can't set the interval! It's either "HI" or "Lo", or whatever drive mode settings your camera has...

03-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is in fact, an intervalometer, you just can't set the interval!