Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kooka extension tube - any good?

I found this extension tube for PK on eBay today: New Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes Electronic Pentax SLR Mount Adapter Ring | eBay

There are contacts, so (hopefully?) it could be easy-to-be-used with full control of aperture and even with AF.

However, before I buy it:
- are there any troubles I should know in advance?
- could two or more be stacked?

03-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Oops, looks like I'm running in circles.
03-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
At least you are consistent..............

03-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
At least you are consistent..............

Well, my memory is not getting better with age. Time to buy this damned extension tube and stop asking
03-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to buy this damned extension tube and stop asking
Did the price go down in a year?

Go ahead and let us know how it works. There really is a need for these, I wish Pentax would make one. But I suppose if they did it would cost so much I couldn't afford it anyway.
03-30-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #7

My name is Yon Yonson,
I work in Wisconsin,
I work in a lumbermill there.
The people I meet when I walk down the street,
They say, "What's your name?"
And I say,
"My name is Yon Yonson,
I work in Wisconsin..."

04-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Kooka extension tubes for K mount. They do in fact work. They are a bit bigger in diameter than other extension tubes -- not sure why. While the overall construction is fine, the only problem with these is that they are "finicky" with installing on your body. I would fault their implementation of the K mount adapter itself: you have to get all the bits and pieces aligned "just so" otherwise there is no way it is going to mount no matter how hard you try. I've gotten kinda used to it but it certainly takes you back when you are in a hurry and things get difficult. I can recommend them but with the above caveat -- these are not for everybody.

Michael
04-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Give due consideration before purchasing the Movo EXT-PQ47 tubes. They're well made, but . . .

1. Only the Q lenses will be able to use the AE/AF functionality. You can use those tubes with adapted lenses but without the AE/AF function which negates that value.

2. Anything over 10mm of extension is essentially unusable IME owing to the short FL of the Q lenses relative to the amount of extension. The most useful would be tubes with only 2 > 8mm of extension but that may be just too thin to incorporate AE/AF pins and secure mounting.

In my experience, the 10mm tube used with the 06 tele lens is the only useful tube/lens combination owing to minimum focusing distances.

If you want to use the auto-Q lenses for close-ups try a set of 40.5mm close-up filters which work very well and have no light loss. Or use a step-up adapter with 49mm or other CU filters if you already have those in hand. The small diameter minimizes any optical issues with simple diopter lenses.

I was looking forward to using those tubes but the extension is simply too great and I'm surprised the manufacturer didn't understand that although I hadn't considered it myself until I tried it.
02-23-2017, 03:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine works as far as aperture controle goes. But not with all lenses. The aperture lever pops out of place when using my F 2.8 100mm macro.
The AF screwdriver doesn't work with any of my AF lenses! When mounting, push the aperture lever anti clock wise, before mounting the lens.
Attached Images