Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a cheap hardcase for k-3 and long telephoto lens

Hi, I have a Kata TLB-800 backpack to carry my K-3 + FA 250-600 attached (with hood extended), when I go for a trip...

I dont want to carry the original Pentax case as it is easily damaged...

but I find it a bit cumbersome in my trunk because of the straps etc... So I am looking at a hard case, in wich I could add a foam coating to protect my gear.

The internal dimensions I need is at least 24 -25 in long x 10 x 10 in

I looked at the pelican cases, but nothing in that size... (only bigger, much bigger! too much!) and I dont really need it to be waterproof

I was also thinking at a studio kit case, such as this : https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-30inchx10inchx10inch-77cmx25cmx25cm-Carrying-Um...udio+kit+cases

but would really prefer a hard shell... with no wheels... only a simple plain case that is rigid and quite robust... that I would insert a foam to protect my gear.

I was also thinking about a tools case from a hardware store, but did not found the right size so far...

My next step is to go to an army surplus, I may find something there...

So I'd like your suggestions

thanks

03-31-2016, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How about something like this? a little bigger than what you stated but may give more room for padding. Mercury Luggage Seward Trunk Stackable Storage Footlocker, 30" - Walmart.com
04-01-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #3

You can check out SKB cases at BH photo. All sizes and options to customize the foam inserts. Some are waterproof too.
04-01-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hi, I have a Kata TLB-800 backpack to carry my K-3 + FA 250-600 attached (with hood extended), when I go for a trip...

I dont want to carry the original Pentax case as it is easily damaged...

but I find it a bit cumbersome in my trunk because of the straps etc... So I am looking at a hard case, in wich I could add a foam coating to protect my gear.

The internal dimensions I need is at least 24 -25 in long x 10 x 10 in

I looked at the pelican cases, but nothing in that size... (only bigger, much bigger! too much!) and I dont really need it to be waterproof

I was also thinking at a studio kit case, such as this : https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-30inchx10inchx10inch-77cmx25cmx25cm-Carrying-Um...udio+kit+cases

but would really prefer a hard shell... with no wheels... only a simple plain case that is rigid and quite robust... that I would insert a foam to protect my gear.

I was also thinking about a tools case from a hardware store, but did not found the right size so far...

My next step is to go to an army surplus, I may find something there...

So I'd like your suggestions

thanks
check music cases for mic stands, booms, etc.

some tool boxes may work with the tray removed
plano and Stanley have 26" boxes I think ridgid (home depot) does as well

inexpensive and that size is going to be a challenge

I have seen weapons cases that size
however if they aren't surplus they aren't inexpensive

good luck!

04-01-2016, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used old suitcases to build make-shift cases for gear in the past. In fact, my 6X7 is in an aluminum suitcase that I converted.
04-01-2016, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a most traditional metal toolbox which fit your dimension requirements: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.26--inch-hand-box.1000653650.html Modern plastic toolboxes are good as well but the dimensions given are not always reliable - the overall dimensions may be more than 2inch wider than the interior dimensions and I find the most plastic toolboxes are weaker around the handle, hinges and snap locks.
04-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all your suggestions... I am still considering all these options!
05-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Weevil, what'd you end up getting? Or are you still looking? I'm looking for a trunk for just the 250-600 and I'm thinking building my own at Custom Aluminum Cases | Cases By Source. Has anyone used this company before?

05-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Weevil, what'd you end up getting? Or are you still looking? I'm looking for a trunk for just the 250-600 and I'm thinking building my own at Custom Aluminum Cases | Cases By Source. Has anyone used this company before?
Congrats for your new acquisition!

I ended up by emptying an Old toolbox that I had for years (maybe 20 years) in my basement, for plumber tools etc, that was large enough, but maybe not that sturdy... but anyways, I did not found anything similar and large enough in any hardware store or online.. This one is 26 inches and large enough to receive the lens extended with the camera attached, and even with the HD-TC attached to it (if I retract the hood a bit).

There is also room for other accessories such as the flash and bracket + some silicagel pouches for humidity control
The only thing I need to care about is the handle that is made of plasticc and quite fragile. I may have one machined in metal for better solidity

I just need to find the appropriate foam insert ...

---------- Post added 2016-05-03 at 23:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
This site is interesting...
this case could be the right size, but wow it's not cheap!
Stock ATA SpectraCase - ATA-27075 | Cases By Source
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
05-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, they aren't cheap, but I'm thinking if I can't find a cheaper option, I may have them build me a custom-sized case that's small and lightweight. This is what I'm thinking of, from their website: