Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Click - cool new camera holster on kickstarter with goodies for first 100

Hey friends,

I pledged a kickstart-project for photographers yesterday, called the CLICK. This one can be attached to the belt, backstrap or somehow even on the pants without a belt. Information and a good overview as a movie on their kickstarter website. I was on the edge to get a peak design capture pro later this year but I stumbled on the this thread where Doundounba tells that somehow this one dropped his K3 somehow during a hike. Anyways, this one have a support from below that this will not happen here. Blah blah blah see for yourself:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1307770750/click-the-worlds-best-camera...cl/description

I hope this project comes to life since it really looks promising to me.
Have a great weekend!

Last edited by i5_david; 05-02-2016 at 12:13 PM.
04-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have three versions of the Peak Design Capture that I've been using regularly for years. I also have a B-grip Evo (best option for hiking with big cameras and lenses). I've used them all with big cameras and lenses and point and shoot cameras. I've used them all while hiking, walking, running, biking. The Peak Capture is made very well and I can't even fathom how it could fail while being used properly.
In addition to the spring loaded clip, the Capture has additional safety mechanisms the user can employ. There is a release lock that prevents the release button from being pushed, and a friction lock that presses against the plate, preventing the camera from releasing even when the button is pushed. In addition to all of this, the Pro plate for the Capture has eyelets to attach straps, so even all of that fails, you can have a strap preventing a fall.
One thing that I've learned from years of rock climbing is that safety is entirely up to the user. No one piece of equipment is completely safe. If you want to be safe, you have to employ systems of redundancy.

Last edited by geomez; 04-09-2016 at 01:04 PM.
04-09-2016, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a peak design capture pro with a 645Z and 28-45mm attached. Never had the slightest doubt it is secure. I can't see how this differs or improves in any functional way, it's almost plagiaristic.
04-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I have to update my original thread bout the Capture Pro dropping my K-3. I still don't know how the accident happened exactly - it shouldn't be possible to have the mechanism not engage properly when you clip it. However, I am still using the Capture Pro. It's just that now I always make quite sure the clip is well-engaged and the two locking mechanisms are active. I've also switched from using the clip in a left-right orientation to an up-down one. I still feel the Capture Pro is a high quality product, and I don't see how the design above is superior - but it might be...

04-10-2016, 12:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have adopted Peak Design, including the Capture Pro, and I must say that properly used it's really secure. As pointed out by others, the thing is to make sure that it locks in properly (that little click sound).

I must admit that I'm a suspenders and belt kind of guy, so I sometimes use the Leach strap as extra security. I also mount the Capture Pro in a way that I can insert the camera vertically, even though I know that it will be secure if inserted horizontally as well.

The Click might very well be a terrific product but I wasn't impressed with the marketing. I have a problem when a product is made to look like the best thing since sliced bread by comparing it to other products made up flaws.
04-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I have adopted Peak Design, including the Capture Pro, and I must say that properly used it's really secure. As pointed out by others, the thing is to make sure that it locks in properly (that little click sound).
For me, that little click is not enough - I was quite certain it was "clicked in" when my camera dropped out. For me "locked in" means: 1) I get the click, 2) I check visually that the plate has been properly inserted into both rails and pull on the camera some to check that the clip has indeed clipped, and 3) I activate both locking mechanisms (ie tighten the black knob which secures the plate in place and turn the red release button 90 degrees to lock and prevent accidental pushing). Never again will I walk with my camera "clipped in" without following this procedure.
04-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I also have a B-grip Evo (best option for hiking with big cameras and lenses).
I also have this one, and absolutely love it! The camera is held very tightly, no swinging or movement of any kind when walking, hiking, etc. It also holds the camera/lens away from your body. I also have the rain sleeve for it, that is good insurance when out on a hike, and weather rolls in.

Last edited by csa; 04-10-2016 at 07:43 AM.
04-10-2016, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
or somehow even on the pants without a belt.
Lots of luck keeping your pants up with a camera & long lens without a good belt.

I'm rather curious about this "project". It appears the product will not be on the market till Fall, and if the $20,000 goal is not met, then it will not be on the market? Giving free products for those that "advertise" this product, on forums, whether it makes it to market or not raises an eyebrow for me. Those that invest, will they get their money back if the project fails?

I'm not at all interested in this project, but found it a little questionable (that's just my opinion).

Last edited by csa; 04-10-2016 at 07:54 AM.