Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Square Plastic Filter Storage Question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I haven't found a good solution to carrying square plastic filters in the field, so I'm wondering what everyone else does.

Realistically everyone has to put away filters that are covered with salt, mud, etc. before they can be cleaned, so the problem is that even a soft case/pouch or anything the filter surface can touch will scratch them. Sliding a dirty filter in or out of any kind of sleeve will pretty much seal its fate. That's not so much a problem with modern glass filters, particular with the very latest coatings that can really take a beating, but few of us have such square filters. And the glass filters get a bit of a break from the frame, which removes at least some of the glass contact surface. Generally putting square filter into the old Cokin clamshell cases works ok since at least that prevents rubbing, and it's possible to improve them slightly by adding some strips to the clear side edges to prevent the main body of the filter from contacting the clear plastic. But the clamshell case is awkward to handle - you can't just shove a filter into it with one hand and that's really what's needed.

I guess something like I envision could be made from old Cokin clamshell boxes by cutting out the opening end, although cutting the boxes without cracking them seems to be tricky, and you still have to add something to the clear side to prevent the filter from touching, and that makes the slot pretty narrow. But eventually the world will run out of old Cokin plastic boxes, so still not an ideal solution.

04-10-2016, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I know that there are some storage boxes for Cokin P which keep filters seperated perhaps these or similar may be the answer maybe for a dirty filter box only! I believe the Cokin box around $50 which I think excessive. What about This type ?

Last edited by TonyW; 04-10-2016 at 08:48 AM.
04-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I know that there are some storage boxes for Cokin P which keep filters seperated perhaps these or similar may be the answer maybe for a dirty filter box only! I believe the Cokin box around $50 which I think excessive. What about This type ?
That's a possibility, although a little thick for my available space. Possibly I could cut it in three pieces and glue the outer two back together. Ideally I'd like something like this with filter-holder-like spring fingers to grab the filter (lightly) so that turning it upside down would have no effect, or a top that didn't extend so far down, or didn't come off at all. It seems like the outer filters would still be subject to damage when the top wasn't in place.

I guess I'm looking for something like a stiff framed little box (with a loop for a strap or other attachment points) with a couple of clone filter holders attached inside, and a flap that would cover the top - but where the case body would come up close to the top of the filters.

An advantage of the plastic box would be that it's easy to clean.
04-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

Slightly off track - I need one of those for my old Cokin A filters.

I carry the most useful in their original cases (which works for the old ones as each case is labelled, unlike the latest cases))

04-10-2016, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
Slightly off track - I need one of those for my old Cokin A filters.

I carry the most useful in their original cases (which works for the old ones as each case is labelled, unlike the latest cases))
I know Park have them Here. But at £10 this old skinflint would be looking elsewhere
04-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
Forum Member

I know Park have them Here. But at £10 this old skinflint would be looking elsewhere
Thanks Tony. I was up at Park Cameras last week as well. Clearly wasn't looking at the right things :-)
04-13-2016, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considered a CD wallet?

04-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Considered a CD wallet?
CD wallets still allow the filters to rub against the sleeve material and/or each other. The objective is to keep all but the edges from contacting anything.
04-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
. . . keep all but the edges from contacting anything.
That pretty well defines the solution. I'd consider something like the trays used to store slides. Scavenge one for the slotted side walls and re-assemble as necessary to accommodate the filter size and container.

Use saw kerf slots in plastic or wood provide custom containers?