Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #1

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lens cover

Hello all,

If you are on the fence of buying a Tammy because of its lack of weather sealing (like I once was),
you should check out these lens covers from B&H! Literally just found them, so I can't attest to their
quality, but I just thought I would share. I will probably get the woodland camo when I grab my new
glass!

If you own this lens cover or one similar to this, what is your opinion on it?

take it easy, pentaxians,

Arden

LensCoat Lens Cover for the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LCT70200FG

04-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks! I just got a good gift idea for my son.
04-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Arden, I'm not sure these covers will indeed make the lens "weather sealed". The covers themselves are waterproof, but I don't know whether the covers are in "sections". If so they may not provide complete weather sealing. Having said this, these covers and LensCoat does make excellent products! If you are really concerned about complete weather sealing, perhaps contact LensCoat. They surely look beautiful, and at the very least give excellent protection from scratches, etc.

That said, I wish they made one for the Pentax 55-300!
04-13-2016, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arden_clark Quote
Hello all,

If you are on the fence of buying a Tammy because of its lack of weather sealing (like I once was),
you should check out these lens covers....

don't need no stinkin' covers...

Camera in Fog

04-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Arden, I'm not sure these covers will indeed make the lens "weather sealed". The covers themselves are waterproof, but I don't know whether the covers are in "sections". If so they may not provide complete weather sealing. Having said this, these covers and LensCoat does make excellent products! If you are really concerned about complete weather sealing, perhaps contact LensCoat. They surely look beautiful, and at the very least give excellent protection from scratches, etc

Covers are great products but although they might give some weather protection, they don't give a WR lens. For instance a cover doesn't do anything about the lack of a seal between the lens and the camera body.
04-14-2016, 03:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There are lots of useful covers on eBay for 70-200 (and other) lenses that aren't as fancy as the LensCoat ones but still very capable. JJC make a few, ranging from very light plastic rain cover (RI-5) for about $5 through to something like this for about $25 (made of nylon) that covers camera and lens right up to the eyepiece:

I've used the latter (mainly for dust protection, but also some rain) when shooting a rally with the Sigma 70-200 HSM II, which totally lacks weather-proofing. The cover works well.

Looks a lot better too than the plastic bags and rubber bands I used to use to weather-proof lens and camera sometimes.
04-14-2016, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
sweet sight!

04-14-2016, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

Camera in Fog
I have seen you waste deep in the pacific ocean grabbing your new K-5 and tripod off the bottom of the sea... so I am not sure your "don't need no stinkin' covers" is applicable to most of us...
04-14-2016, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
I have seen you waste deep in the pacific ocean grabbing your new K-5 and tripod off the bottom of the sea... so I am not sure your "don't need no stinkin' covers" is applicable to most of us...
let's get out there, friend. It has been years since we shot together.