Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camouflage for 600mm f5.6A lens

Hi All.

I have a Pentax 600mm f5.6 A lens, which is, of course, a white lens that is in need of some camouflage for the type of nature photography I like to do. When I was young I used camouflage tape on an old 300mm lens and it ended up looking pretty awful as the glue from the tape ultimately wouldn't come off. I suppose I will need neoprene but when I went to a hunting store, I didn't see anything there that I would really want to use. Any suggestions on product or source shops that work well and that won't damage the lens?

Doug

04-17-2016, 05:23 AM   #2

LensCoat uses neoprene collars and sleeves. They don't have your lens listed but they say to contact them if your lens is not listed.

Pentax Covers - LensCoat

There are other options like a cloth/net sleeves or capes::
http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/primecover.htm

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-17-2016 at 05:29 AM.
04-17-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

3M Automotive Wrap Film in Camouflage?
04-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

On eBay there are plenty of rain covers in various camouflage patterns that should fit and are very cheap ($20-$30). If the measurements of the A 600 f5.6 near-enough resembles popular lenses like the Tamron or Sigma 150-600's, you will have lots of designs and patterns to choose from.

04-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My suggestion would be to go to a fabric store and get some burlap, Velcro, and some fabric glue.

Cut the burlap long enough so that it will overlap itself by about an inch. Use the fabric glue to glue the Velcro to the burlap so that when you wrap the burlap around the lens, the Velcro will stick to itself. You might want to make two of these depending on the weave of the burlap.

While at the fabric store, see if they have some fabric that is a camouflage pattern that you can use instead of the burlap.
04-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
My suggestion would be to go to a fabric store and get some burlap, Velcro, and some fabric glue.

Cut the burlap long enough so that it will overlap itself by about an inch. Use the fabric glue to glue the Velcro to the burlap so that when you wrap the burlap around the lens, the Velcro will stick to itself. You might want to make two of these depending on the weave of the burlap.

While at the fabric store, see if they have some fabric that is a camouflage pattern that you can use instead of the burlap.
I think that basic idea is ok, but avoid fabric that will tend to throw off tiny fibers that are going to end up inside the lens (unless you treat the fabric with something that will hold it together). Burlap might fall into that category. Also some fabrics will hold moisture. Seems like neoprene is the way to go, one way or another. It has all the right properties...
04-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I bought a yard of Woodland MARPAT on Amazon for $12 and had my mom make up a cover for my DA560. I wasn't looking for anything that would offer any protection from banging the lens around like the LensCoats just wanted to be able to cover up the bright white. Just got a couple of draw strings for the ends and some Velcro for the bottom and it works great. Easy to put on and take off for when I'm in the snow and want the white.

At work now or I would post a picture of it. Took my mom about 20 minutes to sew it all up, if you can't or don't have anyone that can do it a lot of dry cleaning shops offer alterations and they could do it pretty cheap.

04-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Hi All.

I have a Pentax 600mm f5.6 A lens, which is, of course, a white lens that is in need of some camouflage for the type of nature photography I like to do. When I was young I used camouflage tape on an old 300mm lens and it ended up looking pretty awful as the glue from the tape ultimately wouldn't come off. I suppose I will need neoprene but when I went to a hunting store, I didn't see anything there that I would really want to use. Any suggestions on product or source shops that work well and that won't damage the lens?

Doug
http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-Mens-Military-Sniper/dp/B00B8BNY7Q

this is the easiest option
just drape over you and/or your lens
04-18-2016, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Hi All.

Doug
I have the same lens. I put Camo Form (made by mcnett.com) on the straight part of the lens that is just forward of the focus ring. I also put it on the hood. Camo Form is self-adhering bandage material that doesn't have any sticky adhesive. To cover the part where the lens flares outward, and to cover the area uncovered when the built-in lens hood is extended, I use "Lens Zoom Range Cover" ("zoom sleeve") made by wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk. They custom-made one for me (for a very reasonable price) by using a wider piece of material than they use in their standard zoom sleeve. When I extend the lens hood, the forward end of the zoom sleeve is pulled along for the ride. The ring with tripod foot is currently uncovered. The only option for that area seems to be an adhesive tape.
-Anthony Lang
04-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Camo Form by Mcnett is nice, I used the snow camo on my tripod this winter worked great.
04-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
The Camo Form by Mcnett is nice, I used the snow camo on my tripod this winter worked great.
That definitely looks interesting. I want something for my 55-300, and LensCoat does not make one.
04-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I just ordered two rolls from amazon.

I was looking at lens coat, but didn't want to spend 100 per lens. I have 3 lenses to cover.

For $40 it's worth a try.
05-29-2016, 12:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help.
05-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Camouflage-Camo-Fabric-Rolls/dp/B00TOLW1NA?...rch_detailpage

Basically self cling camo tape, like they use on you in the hospital (in white though...). I actually saw it at my vet. No glue, so leaves no residue, and reusable. And about $5.