Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

sd cards for Europe

I am taking a two week trip to Europe 3 days Paris- 7 days river cruise down the Rhone from Lyon to Alrles then 3 days Barcelona. leaving in 4 days. I have plenty of SD cards but am thinking is may be safer to get several smaller sd cards 16 gig and after downloading to comp. just keep them as back ups and use a fresh one every day. But this is a very expensive operation since Id need about 10 of them as I already have 2 32 gig cards and 2 16 gig cards. I also have a 64 gig flash drive available. What you do. Part of my problem is my comp is very old and I'm afraid it may croak while on the trip Any opinions will be gratefully accepted.

04-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Buy an external usb drive (better two) and transfer the pictures to the usb-drive(s) every evening. I'm using a 128GB and a 64 GB card in my K3. Everytime when I return from a photosession/trip i'l copy all pictures from the sd-cards to my laptop and an external usb drive. Afterwards I format the filles sd-cards in the camera.

To take two usb-drives is because your laptop is old an as you say may break down.
04-21-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Take a look at the Kingston MobileLite devices.

Cheap, battery powered if required, (will also provide power to other devices when charged up), and will allow transfer of photos from SD to USB (and vice versa) by just plugging them in to it. Connects via Wi-Fi to your phone for management and viewing.

It's what I use when I travel. Slowish transfer speeds, but that's why European cities have nice cafes and bars to relax in whilst your gizmo is doing all the work.

As an aside, I only use 4gb cards for still photography - eggs and one basket! Bigger cards are used for video. I copy off the SD card to a USB drive, then lock and secure the SD card once I've verified the data has copied across ok.

Once home, I transfer from the SD card to my storage devices, then, after the transferred data is checked, format the SD card and the USB drive ready for my next shoot. Just in passing, I transfer from the SD card because JPG's degrade when copied, so each 'generation' of copy has slightly less information in it than the previous one.

Last edited by JohnX; 04-21-2016 at 03:59 AM.
04-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use online storage like Jottacloud to copy the images to often. The size of the cards doesnt matter as long as you have a good routine of backing up often.

04-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
I am taking a two week trip to Europe 3 days Paris- 7 days river cruise down the Rhone from Lyon to Alrles then 3 days Barcelona. leaving in 4 days. I have plenty of SD cards but am thinking is may be safer to get several smaller sd cards 16 gig and after downloading to comp. just keep them as back ups and use a fresh one every day. But this is a very expensive operation since Id need about 10 of them as I already have 2 32 gig cards and 2 16 gig cards. I also have a 64 gig flash drive available. What you do. Part of my problem is my comp is very old and I'm afraid it may croak while on the trip Any opinions will be gratefully accepted.

If you are worried that your computer might choke and die on you, using a flash drive or any other storage method that uses your laptop as a transfer will not work very well.

My suggestion is to go with your original idea and buy some smaller cards to carry. Depending on what size of card you want to use and how many picture you think you will take per day, if you have a Fry's in your area or go to Walmart, and pick up some 2 or 4 gig cards. The smallest cards Fry's is carrying, I think, is an 8 gig but I think you can get a package of 2-4gig cards at Walmart for around 12 dollars. Yes these will be class 4 cards but if you are not machine gunning your camera, they will be fine.

Depending on how you take photos and how many you take, you might be able to put a couple of days of pictures on a single card or use each card for a single day. Then you can pull the card, lock it down and transfer the pictures when you get home.
04-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeD Quote
Part of my problem is my comp is very old and I'm afraid it may croak
Sounds like the ideal excuse to purchase a new shiny Macbook.
04-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #7

I would buy 3 more cards, either 16GB or 32GB, depending on price and how much total storage you might need.
Rotate cards each day, so even in the event of someone stealing your camera you should still have 85% of your shots. And you don't need to spend any vacation time managing data.
You should get around 1,000 raw images on a 16Gb card. A mix of 16 and 32Gb cards would store around 10,000 images - more than one shot per minute, for 10 days of 10 hours!
I have done 8 week trips with 7 x 16Gb cards, and always had plenty of space.