Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help with tripod selection - Feisol CT3442 vs 3441T

3442 - FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3442 Rapid - Tournament Tripods - Tripods FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads
3441T - FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads FEISOL Travel Tripod CT-3441T Rapid - Tripods FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads

I need your help deciding which tripod to buy? After much research I found that these two models give me what I need and are within my price range. The two major differences are that 3441T comes with center column and 3442 has an optional center column. Their weights, heights are pretty close to a point where it won't make much difference. One of the biggest differences I found was the base diameter. 3441T has a base diameter of 1.6 inches vs 3442 has 3.1 inches. Is having smaller more beneficial or less beneficial in terms of stability? or does not not matter?

I looked at Gitzos that have similar specs but they are way too expensive that Feisols. Is there any other tripod that you recommend? I am looking for something that can hold K-1 + grip + 70-200 f2.8.

Thanks.

05-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 3441T and have used it with a K5 and K3II coupled with lenses up to 300mm + 1.4x TC. I love it. Unfortunately I can't attest to the differences in base diameters and what that entails as far as stability is concerned. My best guess is that the size and quality of your ball head would have more bearing on your setups stability than that of the base diameter, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

I like the center column (I'm 6'4) but don't use it all that often. I also like that the tripod fits in a carry on bag when fully collapsed.

I take mine with me pretty much everywhere...backpacking, hiking, flying, and just bumming around town.

In short, I do not regret my purchase at all.

Also, if you're looking for a deal, I believe @bpv_UW has one for sale here on PF. It may be worth sending him a PM.

05-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been VERY impressed with the Sirui tripods, especially the 1204,2204 (Carbon fiber) tripods. They also have similar and cheaper Aluminum versions. What I like it that they have flip locks, crunch down to nothing, get (high enough) for me, great weight limits,and come with a small column for macro, and even have excellent ball heads (Arca Swiss QR) included for unbeatable prices. They seem very well constructed tripods.Sirui also has twist leg tripods that one leg turns into a monopod (no head included in that model). If you are looking for quality on a budget I would HIGHLY recommend Sirui. I am actually about to replace one of my CF Bogans with the 2204.
05-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a Tournament 3342 which I really like. I went with it for the extra height. I wasn't so worried about the closed length, and preferred fewer leg sections. The biggest lens I've had on it is the 60-250 with the K3. It's plenty strong for that combination.
I also have the 3472, which is rather a beast of a tripod. I have a Wimberley head on it and use it with my 600mm lens.

05-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have the Sirui EN-2004 tripod and Sirui K-20X ball head that I use on it. They are really well made. I have used my K-3II/Sigma 150-500 DG OS and K-5IIS/Pentax 16-85 on the EN-2004/K-20X and it works fine. I use an L plate when I use my K-5IIS/16-85 combination. Both the tripod and ball head are very sturdy and stylish looking.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-03-2016 at 09:10 PM.
05-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
3442 - FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3442 Rapid - Tournament Tripods - Tripods FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads
3441T - FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads FEISOL Travel Tripod CT-3441T Rapid - Tripods FEISOL Tripods, Monopods and Ball Heads

I need your help deciding which tripod to buy? After much research I found that these two models give me what I need and are within my price range. The two major differences are that 3441T comes with center column and 3442 has an optional center column. Their weights, heights are pretty close to a point where it won't make much difference. One of the biggest differences I found was the base diameter. 3441T has a base diameter of 1.6 inches vs 3442 has 3.1 inches. Is having smaller more beneficial or less beneficial in terms of stability? or does not not matter?

I looked at Gitzos that have similar specs but they are way too expensive that Feisols. Is there any other tripod that you recommend? I am looking for something that can hold K-1 + grip + 70-200 f2.8.

Thanks.
There's a forum member who has a 3441T for sale after having owned it for 5 or so years. You might send him a PM and ask him about his experiences.
05-04-2016, 01:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
There's a forum member who has a 3441T for sale after having owned it for 5 or so years. You might send him a PM and ask him about his experiences.
I did send him a PM and waiting for him to upload some pics. I just started doing more research and was wondering if 3442 has any significant advantage over 3441T.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Since 2008, I've been using the Feisol 3442 (I have the center column, but find I do not need it, so it's put away) + Markins M-10 Ball-head... no problems... everything works great with the various Pentax K-series bodies/lenses I owned over the years.

I'll be very surprised to hear that a similar kit does not work out for you.

Cheers... M
Thanks. I am planning to buy Arcatech GV2 ball head to go with Feisol legs. Do you think the 3442 extends high enough for someone who is 5'8", without the center column?

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have a Tournament 3342 which I really like. I went with it for the extra height. I wasn't so worried about the closed length, and preferred fewer leg sections. The biggest lens I've had on it is the 60-250 with the K3. It's plenty strong for that combination.
I also have the 3472, which is rather a beast of a tripod. I have a Wimberley head on it and use it with my 600mm lens.
I did consider 3342 but I need something small enough to fit in my carry on bag as I travel frequently. I think those 4 inches difference would make noticeable difference when travelling. Do you recommend 3342 over 3442 for any reason other than being slightly more stable (attributing to only 3 leg sections)? Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by amber waters Quote
I have the 3441T and have used it with a K5 and K3II coupled with lenses up to 300mm + 1.4x TC. I love it. Unfortunately I can't attest to the differences in base diameters and what that entails as far as stability is concerned. My best guess is that the size and quality of your ball head would have more bearing on your setups stability than that of the base diameter, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I will chime in.

I like the center column (I'm 6'4) but don't use it all that often. I also like that the tripod fits in a carry on bag when fully collapsed.

I take mine with me pretty much everywhere...backpacking, hiking, flying, and just bumming around town.

In short, I do not regret my purchase at all.

Also, if you're looking for a deal, I believe @bpv_UW has one for sale here on PF. It may be worth sending him a PM.
Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I did contact the seller regarding 3441T. Thanks for pointing it to me.

05-04-2016, 04:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lots of great options already mentioned--if you don't reach a deal with the PF member, I've found that B&H can have really nice deals in their "Used" section. Otherwise, given your pictures from the American West, I'd encourage you to "bring enough gun" when it comes to wind: beefier (not to mention hanging some weight) might be better.
05-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I did send him a PM and waiting for him to upload some pics. I just started doing more research and was wondering if 3442 has any significant advantage over 3441T.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:41 AM ----------

Thanks. I am planning to buy Arcatech GV2 ball head to go with Feisol legs. Do you think the 3442 extends high enough for someone who is 5'8", without the center column?

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:45 AM ----------

I did consider 3342 but I need something small enough to fit in my carry on bag as I travel frequently. I think those 4 inches difference would make noticeable difference when travelling. Do you recommend 3342 over 3442 for any reason other than being slightly more stable (attributing to only 3 leg sections)? Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-04-16 at 01:47 AM ----------

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I did contact the seller regarding 3441T. Thanks for pointing it to me.
As I said, the extra length wasn't a big deal for me. If it is for you, the 4 section tripod should be fine.
05-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all your suggestions. I have decided to go with CT3442 without the center column. Now the hunt for a good ball head begins. I am seriously considering Arcatech GV2. Any other suggestions (less expensive) that would be good with CT3442?
This is going to be a big step up from by current tripod.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As I said, the extra length wasn't a big deal for me. If it is for you, the 4 section tripod should be fine.
Have you have any problems similar to what this guys says:
https://youtu.be/bgXzayq-6qU?t=1m29s

Thanks.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 12:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Lots of great options already mentioned--if you don't reach a deal with the PF member, I've found that B&H can have really nice deals in their "Used" section. Otherwise, given your pictures from the American West, I'd encourage you to "bring enough gun" when it comes to wind: beefier (not to mention hanging some weight) might be better.
Thanks. Fortunately or unfortunately I could not find a single CT3442 on the used market. I guess it is a good thing that no one wants to sell theirs.
05-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have decided to go with CT3442 without the center column.
I think that's a great choice. If you do much ground-level shooting, you'll appreciate not having a center column. And if you find you need one, wasn't there a kit that allowed you to add one to the 3442 later?
05-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think that's a great choice. If you do much ground-level shooting, you'll appreciate not having a center column. And if you find you need one, wasn't there a kit that allowed you to add one to the 3442 later?
You can buy a center column for additional 40 bucks. Frankly this is such a tall tripod that I don't think I will need one anytime. But it is good to know that there an option.
05-13-2016, 04:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Uday, did you find your Feisol yet? Ran across this, this morning--a bit shorter probably but with a head, you shouldn't have to hunch too much.

Feisol CT-3401 carbon fiber tripod - FM Forums
05-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Uday, did you find your Feisol yet? Ran across this, this morning--a bit shorter probably but with a head, you shouldn't have to hunch too much.

Feisol CT-3401 carbon fiber tripod - FM Forums
Thank you for the link. I ended up getting a new CT3442.