Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kayackers waterproofing

Are there any kayakers out there who take their camera with them?

I'm looking for some way to protect my camera from the drips and moisture in a kayak beside a 1 gal zip-lock bag. As you know the kayak cockpit does get wet from the paddle drips and all but not necessarily soaking. There used to be formfitting bags for keeping cameras dry but I can't find any.

Now I have seen some pictures here from people that looked like they were on the water; what did you guys do?

07-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

In the past I've used a P&S in a waterproof enclosure. This is waterproof in the true sense of the word, I used the same thing for scuba diving.

Enclosures are available for DLSRs but are more like $2000 as opposed to the $200 for a P&S enclosure.

Since you already have the K10D just get some weather sealed lenses, this should hold up just fine as long as it isn't sitting in a puddle (it may even work then, but I've never tried). I've used my K10D/DA50-135 (which is weathersealed) in 50 knot winds with heaving driving rain in the northern atlantic, and on top of Mt. Washington in the heaviest fog I've ever experienced, all without problems.
07-13-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Have a look at these:

455 Aquapac Waterproof, Submersible SLR Camera Case for Most Digital SLR Cameras with a Fixed Lens, Depth to 15ft / 5m

Vendor site... main picture says it all for you...

AQUAPAC - 100% Waterproof

Kind regards,

woof!
07-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
been there, done that, got the f..'n Tee SHirt

I have taken cameras out in kayaks for about 4 years now. And prior to that everything from canoes to row boats.

there is a real trade off between what you want and need.

My present kayak is a 2 seat recreational kayak, which has the front seat on adjustable rails to allow centering it for single seat use. As a recreational boat it is great, but the opening is about 6 feet long, and not quite 2 feet wide.

It can easily get swamped, or have waves come over the side.

I use a dry bag which you can get at any outdoor store. They are available in many sizes, from about 1 gallon (4 leters) upward. The real difficulty is you can really only put one camera in them.

I would like to take my K10 and my 70-200 F2.8 plus teleconverter, for wild life shots but it is not practical with a dry bag.

Note also, from experiene, anything that can hold water out, can also hold it in. I have had a wave come over the side, and right into my open dry bag, soaking my *istD at the time. The camera went into a funny mode of continual shooting, and I had to pull the batteries. Fortunately id dried out fine and has never given trouble, but...

I now go out with my P&S only. Why? I have a relitively advanced P&S, (Kodak 7590) it comes with a fast (F3.2) 38-380mm equivelent lens and full manual plus auto modes. It is smaller than any DSLR and while not as sharp, it does a good job. Small makes it easy to go in and out of a dry bag, or hang around your neck.

Pentax and others make waterproof P&S cameras but they are not as flexible

07-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

lowepro dryzone 100, 200, or rover?

Lowepro - DryZone 100

Lowepro - DryZone 200

Lowepro - DryZone Rover
07-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as opposed to the lowepro dryzone why not go for a pellican hard case? they are gasketed and water tight. they are OK for transport but not when you get to where you are going.
07-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm a canoe tripper myself, and my camera gear goes in a briefcase sized bright yellow pelican case when I'm on the water.

It's partly for waterproofing, but mostly for shock proofing if I tip over in whitewater going down a river.

Pat

07-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
as opposed to the lowepro dryzone why not go for a pellican hard case? they are gasketed and water tight. they are OK for transport but not when you get to where you are going.
only bad thing about pelican cases is.. they don't easily stuff into small corners of kayaks..
07-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
only bad thing about pelican cases is.. they don't easily stuff into small corners of kayaks..
don't some of the kayaks have an optional dry compartment?
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
don't some of the kayaks have an optional dry compartment?
yes but they are not accessible from the seat. I am assuming that the OP wants to access his kit as paddling (drifting)
07-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
yes but they are not accessible from the seat. I am assuming that the OP wants to access his kit as paddling (drifting)
I guess it really depends on the type of kayak as well as the manufacturer. There are some manufacturers that will allow the purchaser to add options to the hatches/storage bays. Fishing kayaks are more versatile like that but many now have the option and they can be reached from the seat. These two companies come to mind. But kayaking is like biking, there are several types of bikes and styles of riding. I can't imagine they plan to do an Eskimo roll but that would make for some interesting photos.

Cobra Kayaks

Hurricane Kayaks

Edit: Be sure to check out the accessories.
07-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kayaks and storage.

Just so everyone understands the issue here, there are 3 basic types of kayaks.

Lets call them the following: Sit on top, Recreational, Tight cockpit with skirt

Sit on top, as the name implies are water proof floating hulls which yoiu sit on top of. there may be some internal storage but the compartments are small, and generally only have a round screw on lid.

Recreational kayaks, (and I have 2 of these) have very large openings in the cockpit, single seaters generally do not cover more than your feet. dual seaters may have openings as much as 6 feet long. Due to the open cockpit, behind the seat may be a rectangular hatch with a storage bin, or perhaps only a floatation cell (required for all hulls with open access from the cockpit (i.e. no bulkhead behind the seat). the front deck is so far away that any opening is too far to access even if blocked off with a bulkhead.

Tight cockpit with skirt as the name implies are only big enough openings to get into. These are generally sea kayaks or small riverhulls, and while they may have front and rear hatches, with good sized compartments, the only opening that makers place in front of you within reach of the cockpit is a round opening with a bag, for small items which hangs between your legs.
07-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Weatherwise,
I don't know if you already own a kayak or not but I recommend you go to a "knowledgeable" dealer and look them over and rent several until you find something that works for you.
07-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Aquapac for SLR vs Option W60?

Wow A lot of discussion. I have an older single person sea kayak with a hatch that I cannot reach when I am in the cockpit. I RI I have mostly calm water and can get into bays, rivers and big salt ponds in conservation areas so don't really worry about tipping over (at least in the conditions I want to use a camera at.) I already have a smaller drybag for some euipment including a P&S an older olympus with limited telephoto.

Most of the ideas would be okay for transport but I want to be able to have it on the floor in front of me

The idea I was looking for was the aquapac. Has anyone used that with the pentax?

My other option is to get a better P&S but really want to be able to use the Pentax. Maybe the Pentax optio W60?? A waterproof P&S. Anybody use this?
07-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Wow A lot of discussion. I have an older single person sea kayak with a hatch that I cannot reach when I am in the cockpit. I RI I have mostly calm water and can get into bays, rivers and big salt ponds in conservation areas so don't really worry about tipping over (at least in the conditions I want to use a camera at.) I already have a smaller drybag for some euipment including a P&S an older olympus with limited telephoto.

Most of the ideas would be okay for transport but I want to be able to have it on the floor in front of me

The idea I was looking for was the aquapac. Has anyone used that with the pentax?

My other option is to get a better P&S but really want to be able to use the Pentax. Maybe the Pentax optio W60?? A waterproof P&S. Anybody use this?
Look at Wilderness Systems recreational kayaks. I have 2 14'6" tandoms. They are somewhat wider than a sea kayak, and have an open cockpit that you could possibly set a pelican case into and access directly in front of you. They also have really comfortable seats,. where you can adjust the tilt of the bottom cushion, and the height and tilt of the back rest. comfort is one reason I bought them.

I have had mine out on several larger bodies of water, including lake ontario and georgian bay, and in smaller lakes but in sokewhat rough (1 foot) swells. The boat tracks well without a rudder and does not swamp unless you are careless.