Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 05:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,644
Opinions from you dual-wielders.

Hi everyone.
I'm thinking of lugging two cameras in the field this year when doing my insect survey work. Often I see interesting birds or other critters and am limited to my 100mm macro. If I bring the K5 I can mount my 55-300 (or the DA300 if I buy that) and get a different set of pictures. Plus, maybe use it for dragonflies etc. which don't let me get close enough.

For those who do this already, what do you use? I have a Black Rapid Curve which is nice. They have a couple options for two-camera setups. I like the thought of the single sling Yeti, but the Double seems another good option.

I'm just interested to hear your experiences in the field. Does the Double get hot? It's more surface area. Is the weight of two DSLRs a bit much for the Yeti, making it uncomfortable?

05-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 15,181
I use two slings.

05-05-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member
bobell69's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Courtenay BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 498
I use the Cotton Carrier system. Allows me to carry two cameras while at the same time freeing my hands for hiking and climbing. Just came back from hiking in Zion and Arches National Parks and I wore the Cotton Carrier every day.
05-05-2016, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,183
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm thinking of lugging two cameras in the field this year when doing my insect survey work.
Here's what you need. You need to publish one photo in a major publication, and then act really arrogant. Then hang out around photography colleges, and these young people will flock to you. Once you pick one, you can call them an "assistant" and they will lug around all your gear for you. Make sure you always tell them what a good opportunity this is for them, and how this will help them with their eventual career lol
At least, that's how all the pros I know do it.

Edit: This post might have been a bit too dark. Sorry guys, didn't mean to insult anyone here Just a story about some people I have met not long ago

05-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I use the Cotton Carrier system. Allows me to carry two cameras while at the same time freeing my hands for hiking and climbing. Just came back from hiking in Zion and Arches National Parks and I wore the Cotton Carrier every day.
How do you carry the 2nd camera? Do you just put the 2nd holster on the vest's belt, do you use the Endeavour belt, or some other system?

I got a Cotton Carrier about a year ago and I only got around to using it a few weeks ago. Earlier, I had tried two slings but found that the cameras moved too much and there was too much risk of smacking one against something. I spend a lot of time standing, crouching and twisting - and moving fairly quickly - because I'm photographing animals. I liked the way the Cotton Carrier vest kept my camera attached to my body - much less risk of smacking it into something. But I've only tried it so far with a single body.

I'm planning to take it on our upcoming trip to the Galapagos Islands. And I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry the 2nd camera.

Which lenses do you use on the two bodies?

And you might find this thread helpful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/281639-do-you-eve...wo-bodies.html

Last edited by frogoutofwater; 05-05-2016 at 07:27 AM.
05-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member
bobell69's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Courtenay BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 498
I use the side holster along with the chest harness as shown in this image 2 Camera Carrier Vest System On my recent trip, I took along my K3II and my K5. I had the K5 mounted with a DA* 50-135 and I used the 15 and 21 ltds on the K3II. From time to time when it was raining, I traded out the ltds for my 18-135 because I needed the weather sealing for my wide angle shots. Depending on my activity, I moved the cameras around, sometimes having the K3II on the side holster and more often than not on the chest harness. Either way, both cameras are comfortable and easy to access in a hurry. I found that with the system that I was using, even in warm weather the cameras didn't feel cumbersome, in the way or uncomfortable. Its a great system for balancing the weight for two cameras. Here is a link https://www.flickr.com/photos/roshin_photography/26227645244/in/dateposted/ to a shot of me wearing the carrier. My wife took the image with the K3Ii and I have the the K5 with the 50-135 in my hands.

Last edited by bobell69; 05-05-2016 at 07:40 AM.
05-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I use the side holster along with the chest harness as shown in this image 2 Camera Carrier Vest System On my recent trip, I took along my K3II and my K5. I had the K5 mounted with a DA* 50-135 and I used the 15 and 21 ltds on the K3II. From time to time when it was raining, I traded out the ltds for my 18-135 because I needed the weather sealing for my wide angle shots. Depending on my activity, I moved the cameras around, sometimes having the K3II on the side holster and more often than not on the chest harness. Either way, both cameras are comfortable and easy to access in a hurry. I found that with the system that I was using, even in warm weather the cameras didn't feel cumbersome, in the way or uncomfortable. Its a great system for balancing the weight for two cameras. Here is a link https://www.flickr.com/photos/roshin_photography/26227645244/in/dateposted/ to a shot of me wearing the carrier. My wife took the image with the K3Ii and I have the the K5 with the 50-135 in my hands.
Thanks! I am a little worried about heat and weight, so this is reassuring.

I also need to carry a small quantity of supplies for each excursion with me, so I'm planning to wear a small runners' backpack as well.
Maya 5 - Gregory Mountain Products

It has a couple of small pockets on each side of the hipbelt that are big enough to carry some essential bits and bobs, like a rocket blower, lens wipes, spare battery, etc.

05-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Paris, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,192
I find myself carrying a Q7 + 06 and a +4 diopter close-up lens as a 'what-if' option. Takes up almost no weight or space and adequately covers both CU and tele options.

If the main body is set for tele situations the Q7 + 08 or 01 is a ready standby option.
05-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,644
Original Poster
Thanks for that input.
One thing I do like about the sling is it allows for a loose shirt, and ventilation. The vests provide a lot more security though, so it's a trade-off...
I'll have to consider it. As for tomorrow, it will be two slings, swinging in the breeze! Hopefully not too much breeze.

As for the little pockets, check your REI type stores, they have small pouches designed to clip onto backpacks, belts etc. It might be enough for you. Think of small first-aid kit pouches.

---------- Post added 05-05-16 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I find myself carrying a Q7 + 06 and a +4 diopter close-up lens as a 'what-if' option. Takes up almost no weight or space and adequately covers both CU and tele options.

If the main body is set for tele situations the Q7 + 08 or 01 is a ready standby option.

I love the Q for that, particularly with the 01. For general use it's great, but not for the specialized use I have in mind with a long tele/zoom and long macro. Still, I should probably bring my Q more frequently.
05-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian
dsmithhfx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,110
I haven't done this in a while, but I use separate straps, one around my neck and the other over one shoulder. This spreads the weight and reduces the risk of collisions. Generally though I just shoot with a lens for a while, get bored with the FOV and change lenses, I'm not looking to capture live action per se.

Forgot to mention that I *always* carry a stylus epic, so there's 35mm FL covered anyway. It weighs nothing.
05-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,200
I carry two bodies on a regular basis. Always my K-5 with battery grip and then I rotate between my K10D with battery grip or Km. Both K5/K10D have two batteries (carry extra battery in each battery grip) in them, so that adds weight.

Usually have a 55-300 on one and a a 12-24 wide angle on the other....or sometimes one of my Limiteds...21, 40 or 70. I just bought a Sekonic L-398 A, light meter and I plan to carry that with two bodies.

I don't notice the weight too much, but I'm a fairly large guy. I use the standard Pentax straps that came with the cameras and they work fine. I have a Canon G12 (very good camera) and I replaced the terrible Canon strap which was unsatisfactory. It came loose a number of times and I replaced it with a padded Optex, which is very good.

Both straps around my neck. One camera I carry in my hand, the other hangs by my front. I always have the straps around my neck as I don't trust my hand holding, alone without strap backup.
05-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't notice the weight too much, but I'm a fairly large guy.
I'm not a fairly large guy. I'm 5'7", with a fragile back (recurring disc trouble), a right hand with severed tendon in one finger, wonky depth perception and klutzy tendencies. I have broken my left wrist seven times, multiple bones in my feet and ankles, and several fingers. Let's not even talk about sprains.

Mr frogoutofwater, thankfully, is big, strong and agile - I believe he's part mountain goat. And while he'll be carrying his own Pentax gear, I can count on him to schlep a little for me and lend a balancing hand, at critical points, too. As my family often points out, I got the better deal in our marriage
05-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member
bobell69's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Courtenay BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 498
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Thanks! I am a little worried about heat and weight, so this is reassuring.

I also need to carry a small quantity of supplies for each excursion with me, so I'm planning to wear a small runners' backpack as well.
Maya 5 - Gregory Mountain Products

It has a couple of small pockets on each side of the hipbelt that are big enough to carry some essential bits and bobs, like a rocket blower, lens wipes, spare battery, etc.
I often carry my Lowepro Camera bag on my back as well with extra lenses and water etc. Without the two cameras in the bag, it is much lighter and easier to hike with. Seems balanced to me.
05-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 10,200
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I'm not a fairly large guy. I'm 5'7", with a fragile back (recurring disc trouble), a right hand with severed tendon in one finger, wonky depth perception and klutzy tendencies. I have broken my left wrist seven times, multiple bones in my feet and ankles, and several fingers. Let's not even talk about sprains.

Mr frogoutofwater, thankfully, is big, strong and agile - I believe he's part mountain goat. And while he'll be carrying his own Pentax gear, I can count on him to schlep a little for me and lend a balancing hand, at critical points, too. As my family often points out, I got the better deal in our marriage
I know what you mean. The wear and tear our bodies go through as we age, can be something else to cope with.

I'm in my late 60's now and in the past decade, I've started to feel the effects, more than I have in the past. I mentioned in my post that I always have my camera strap around my neck as my hand grip ain't what it used to be. I have some nerve damage in my hand, along with a grip issue...think the medical slang is Viking grip...a couple of my fingers 'lock'.

I wear my camera strap around my neck, not my shoulders as I have shoulder issues...due to a decade of playing hockey (defense) ...also had a knee operation...hockey can be a rough, contact sport.

I'm thinking that as I get older, maybe I can find a camera 'caddy' ....kind of like some golfers have their caddy. A photo/ golf type cart....might even be better for me, although it probably would have difficulty driving through forest trails.

Nice to hear that you and your spouse are out and about, taking pictures. keep up the good work.

Les
05-05-2016, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 674
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice to hear that you and your spouse are out and about, taking pictures. keep up the good work.
I am much more into photography than he is, but we enjoy our excursions together. And he's very supportive of the volunteer work I do for rescues. Aside from participating in photo shoots with me, he's also going to frame 40 prints for me for a fundraising exhibition later this spring.

And he brings me coffee in bed every day.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
breeze, field, option, pouches, q7, tele, tripod, yeti
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of changing my setup from big to small. Opinions sought. imaspy General Photography 13 04-21-2015 09:43 PM
How will you use dual SD slots? audiobomber Pentax K-3 & K-3 II 66 10-23-2013 10:24 PM
Kodacolor-X from Endangered Species - Opinions builttospill Pentax Film SLR Discussion 7 08-17-2012 02:13 PM
Has anyone used the dual split image from jinfinance? Lowell Goudge Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 22 09-15-2010 08:15 PM
You opinions and thoughts please. Which do you like? Peter Zack Photo Critique 19 02-01-2008 01:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top