Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K-1 and Spider Pro Holster probably incompatible

Dear community,

this one's is for other Pentaxians using the Spider Pro holster system out there. I've been a satisfied user of this system for some years (e.g. used it with K-5 and K-3), but now noticed a big problem in using it with the Pentax K-1. A few days ago I went on a daytour with my K-1 (battery grip mounted) and my brand-new D-FA 24-70/2.8. At the tour's end I noticed a big wear-off mark on the lens' zoom ring. Retrospectively, the zoom ring rubbed on the holster's rough rim during the day tour, the rubber on the respective position of the zoom ring is used up completly. I already contacted Spider with no real success. They told me that it would be the K-1's battery grip's fault, as its tripod socket would be off-center, so that the camera (+lens) would hang down in an angle not planned for (but also without the battery grip the zoom ring rubs on the holster's rim, only in a different position). And anyway, they couldn't support any camera there was. From my point of view, the K-1 with the respective full frame zooms attached is just to big for the holster. I'm quite sure that e.g. the D-FA 70-200/2.8 would exhibit similar problems if attached to K-1 and holster.
At this time being, I clearly can't recommend using (or buying) the Spider Pro for the Pentax K-1 in combination with any of the new (big) zoom lenses.

crispinus

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Seems like quite a design defect in the spider pro. I suspect the same problem occurs in other brand camera/lens combos, especially when mounting similar lenses to the Pentax 24-70 (eg Tamron 24-70 on a D800 with grip)

It's no comfort, but at least replacing the rubber ring on the lens will probably not be an expensive repair.
05-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Darn, I was hoping to use it with my spiderholster too. Thanks for the advice!
05-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Other holsters may not have the same problem - eg Cotton Carrier has a holster, Peak Design do etc:

Camera Holster Systems | explora