Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,690
Gold-N-Blue polarizer?

I looked for some discussion of this filter, but only saw two pictures posted a couple of years ago... I am interested in this filter, but haven't seen any conclusive argument for or against it, aside from the fact that it is not easy to use. Have you guys had any experience with it?

05-12-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
I've got one.

If you're looking to put it on the FA31 Limited, it vignettes badly because you need an extension ring to get past that stupid fixed hood. I find it does degrade image quality a bit, but the effect can be quite stunning. Takes a lot of work in post because any surface that's got water on it will polarise. You need to fix white balance beforehand too, takes a bit of experimentation to get it right, then it needs more work in post to make the effect work properly. Haven't used it for ages, but it isn't that easy to use.



https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/15399941779/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/15399524409/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 05-12-2016 at 12:14 PM.
05-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,690
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I've got one.

If you're looking to put it on the FA31 Limited, it vignettes badly because you need an extension ring to get past that stupid fixed hood. I find it does degrade image quality a bit, but the effect can be quite stunning. Takes a lot of work in post because any surface that's got water on it will polarise. You need to fix white balance beforehand too, takes a bit of experimentation to get it right, then it needs more work in post to make the effect work properly. Haven't used it for ages, but it isn't that easy to use.



https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/15399941779/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56053365@N07/15399524409/in/dateposted-public/
I need to get the FA31 first I have been using M28 2.8 for landscapes as of late. In terms of applications, I guess it is not your everyday filter, since you haven't used it for ages... I've come across a couple of videos on Youtube, and both used it for sunsets over some type of water. Would you say that's pretty much it?
05-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I need to get the FA31 first I have been using M28 2.8 for landscapes as of late. In terms of applications, I guess it is not your everyday filter, since you haven't used it for ages... I've come across a couple of videos on Youtube, and both used it for sunsets over some type of water. Would you say that's pretty much it?
For the cost of the thing and the aggravation involved in using it and in processing the images . . . that's pretty much it and in hindsight, I'd have passed on the Gold 'n Blue.



It's been a long time since I used it, but will try it out on the Zeiss Distagon 2/35 arriving next week.

05-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,690
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
For the cost of the thing and the aggravation involved in using it and in processing the images . . . that's pretty much it and in hindsight, I'd have passed on the Gold 'n Blue.



It's been a long time since I used it, but will try it out on the Zeiss Distagon 2/35 arriving next week.
Wow, that photo looks great! Congratulations on the Distagon. I guess I will keep an eye out for it. I definitely won't pay full price, but if I find it cheap on ebay I might be tempted to try it, if I can make pictures like that
05-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Wow, that photo looks great! Congratulations on the Distagon. I guess I will keep an eye out for it. I definitely won't pay full price, but if I find it cheap on ebay I might be tempted to try it, if I can make pictures like that
Those photos above were taken with a Sony Zeiss FE 1.8/55 on the A7r. Not a camera I've ever enjoyed. The 1.8/55 is sharp but suffers terrible neon green fringing and the character is best described as clinical. All the Sony gear is being swapped for a new Pentax DF-FA 2.8/15-30 and D-FA* 2.8/70-200, hopefully in the next week or so.

2/35 Distagon's aren't really that expensive for what they are. I paid 500 plus import duty from Japan to the UK for a new K-mount one. Consider the FA31 retails at 1149 in the UK! They will be tricky to get hold of in K-mount now though. Also picked up a new Planar 1.4/85 in K-mount from Germany, 750.
05-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,690
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Those photos above were taken with a Sony Zeiss FE 1.8/55 on the A7r. Not a camera I've ever enjoyed. The 1.8/55 is sharp but suffers terrible neon green fringing and the character is best described as clinical. All the Sony gear is being swapped for a new Pentax DF-FA 2.8/15-30 and D-FA* 2.8/70-200, hopefully in the next week or so.

2/35 Distagon's aren't really that expensive for what they are. I paid 500 plus import duty from Japan to the UK for a new K-mount one. Consider the FA31 retails at 1149 in the UK! They will be tricky to get hold of in K-mount now though. Also picked up a new Planar 1.4/85 in K-mount from Germany, 750.
You are right - FA31 is an expensive lens... I received a Biotar 80 f2.8 for my 645 yesterday. It seems that CZ lenses in pentacon 6 mount are cheaper than Pentax 645 lenses...

I came across a listing for a used Gold-N-Blue polarizer ($100US) and I've been thinking whether I should pick it up. I remember you were saying you were planning to give it a go again. Have your thoughts on it changed?
05-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
You are right - FA31 is an expensive lens... I received a Biotar 80 f2.8 for my 645 yesterday. It seems that CZ lenses in pentacon 6 mount are cheaper than Pentax 645 lenses...

I came across a listing for a used Gold-N-Blue polarizer ($100US) and I've been thinking whether I should pick it up. I remember you were saying you were planning to give it a go again. Have your thoughts on it changed?
For a hundred bucks??!!!!!!!! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!



05-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,690
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
For a hundred bucks??!!!!!!!! Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's how I feel too, but I've been investing in the 645, and since going back to film a month ago I discovered that the days of wet printing are long gone. The local lab develops film, does a low resolution scan (file of 300KB!!!) and prints them. I guess with technology like that you don't need to waste money on good lenses - won't matter anyway So I am investing in a scanner as well.

I think I will go for it - just wanted to see what people thought of it. Online reviews say it's hard to use, and I think you mentioned you haven't used it for a while. But it seems like a unique filter that can produce beautiful images...

That's a beautiful image, by the way.
05-31-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Roi-et, Thailand
Posts: 773
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
That's how I feel too, but I've been investing in the 645, and since going back to film a month ago I discovered that the days of wet printing are long gone. The local lab develops film, does a low resolution scan (file of 300KB!!!) and prints them. I guess with technology like that you don't need to waste money on good lenses - won't matter anyway So I am investing in a scanner as well.

I think I will go for it - just wanted to see what people thought of it. Online reviews say it's hard to use, and I think you mentioned you haven't used it for a while. But it seems like a unique filter that can produce beautiful images...

That's a beautiful image, by the way.
It's all about white balance. Fix your white balance to say, 5000K. In your first shot once you've rotated the polariser to the desired effect, take a shot of a white card. This will help set your white balance in post. Just take the WB eyedropper, select from white card shot and you're done!

It's not difficult to post process, so long as all your water is where you want it.
09-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
skunktail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, NSW
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 287
[IMG][/IMG]

It's a filter that does magic during golden hour. just watch out with auto white balance.
I have to say, It's one of my personal favorites.
09-14-2016, 04:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IgorZ's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,690
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
[/url][/IMG]

It's a filter that does magic during golden hour. just watch out with auto white balance.
I have to say, It's one of my personal favorites.
Beautiful image! I have been playing with it for some time, but haven't processed sunset photos yet, mostly water so far. I find that the magenta tinge is similar to the one that some German legacy lenses have in some cases. I have an old ISCO-Westanaar and a Soviet Mir 1B (?) leses that have that magenta tinge sometimes, maybe in shady conditions, haven't quite nailed it...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
filter, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cokin pola red-blue polarizer TheLens Photographic Technique 3 10-04-2015 07:45 PM
Landscape Learning the Gold-N-Blue skunktail Photo Critique 1 12-21-2013 11:28 AM
Landscape Blue Gold Jimbo Post Your Photos! 4 01-15-2011 09:23 AM
Bumble 'n Blue Michaelina2 Post Your Photos! 8 05-20-2009 01:10 PM
Blue & gold Macaw portrait! mikerigel Post Your Photos! 9 08-19-2007 02:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top