Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not saying it's necessarily junk, but with a RC2 or AS plate they will be standard dimensions and accessories like this will tend to fit/work better.

Is the current plate metal?

05-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #17
Forum Member

you wouldn't have to replace the whole head, just the quick release plate. It's arca-swiss so you'd just have to look for one that works with the fastenr
05-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
you wouldn't have to replace the whole head, just the quick release plate. It's arca-swiss so you'd just have to look for one that works with the fastenr
Ah, I didn't see this was Arca Swiss compatible. That sounds like the right solution then!
05-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Replacing the plate sounds like a good solution.

The current plate is metal so I may try modifying it first. Unless there are other ideas.

05-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Hot New Tripod Professional Folding Tripod Q666 Tripod Monopod for Camera Fuji | eBay This is my tripod. Sorry it was an ebay special. If you scroll down to the pictures of the mounting plate you can see that the area around the mounting screw is quite tight. that is what would need to be dremled out.

Unfortunately that is an Arca Swiss compatible plate and the FastenR-T1 fits the Manfrotto 200PL plate (the original and possibly a few pirat plates). If you look closely the FastenR-T1 thread side widens at the bottom so the hole in the plate must be 9,5-10 mm in order for it go all the way in.

I found this item on eBay (OK a bit clumsy) Arca Swiss Fit Tripod Clamp Fastener for Use with Black Rapid Q Quick Strap | eBay
It may also be possible to adapt a longer Arca Swiss plate (maybe 100mm long) and use the original Black Rapid fastener. In that way you could even attach the plate without removing the strap.

I use booth the Black Rapid (with the original screw or a 200PL plate) and the Peak Design Slide (with Arca Swiss plates). I love booth straps but have lately been using the Peak Design more and more due to its versatility. I still use Black Rapid for heavier equipment.
05-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Very interested to read this discussion. I really love the black rapid, but I found myself not getting along with using the tripod connection at the bottom. Kept unscrewing (I feared a drop) and I found it inconvenient with tripods/grips etc. I use a Manfrotto junior geared head and find there's not a lot of alternatives to the stock QR plate for that head - and the stock QR wasn't compatible with the RC2 blackrapid QR plate screw. (Might get a lighter tripod and head for taking out hiking anyway!)

I bought a strap accessory that attaches to one of the camera attachment lugs from a US-based third party (will try to find a link) - this provides an adjustable short strap with metal ring that you can connect the black rapid clip to.

I found this just perfect for my needs, although I did wonder if the metal ring might be causing some wear on my k-3 during travel etc. There is a small area on the corner of the K-3 where the black body finish got worn after significant use - perhaps contact with this ring contributed to that. I'm not one to really baby equipment, but I ended up covering the ring in tape, and putting some neatly applied tape on this area of the body when I fitted this arrangement to my k-1.

May try some method with black rapid plus 2 connection points in the future - Bit more confidence when scrambling/off the path!

John
05-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
I bought a black rapid shoulder strap some time back and I love it. My only gripe is the tripod mount being taken up on the camera and i am how it hangs at my side.

I did buy the adapter to be able to use both the tripodmount and the strap at the same time, however, it didn't fit my tripod mount.

My question is, can I hang the camera safely by using only one of the strap attachment points with the black rapid sling? Any ideas?
The Op-tech system is indeed more versatile because of this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
With the DA*300, I re-rig it so the weight of the kit is carried by the tripod foot.
Where did you get the plate below your camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Now that is a great idea!
I did mostly the same for my 60-250, but since I want to have an Arca-swiss plate attached full-time, I machined a hole on the side of the plate and looped the Op-tech attachment there. I could have used a plate with a dedicated lug to loop the attachment but I wanted a plate that fit the size of the 60-250's foot. I used a PU-50 from eBay.

05-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Finally remembered - the connection I used between the camera lug and the Black Rapid is the bos tail strap

BosTail - Frees Tripod Socket - Attach to Camera Strap Lug | BosStrap

John