Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Black Rapid Question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought a black rapid shoulder strap some time back and I love it. My only gripe is the tripod mount being taken up on the camera and i am how it hangs at my side.

I did buy the adapter to be able to use both the tripodmount and the strap at the same time, however, it didn't fit my tripod mount.

My question is, can I hang the camera safely by using only one of the strap attachment points with the black rapid sling? Any ideas?

05-17-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
can I hang the camera safely by using only one of the strap attachment points with the black rapid sling?
I think the answer is: probably. Until it isn't.

I use an op/tech system with one attachment point on the left camera lug and another on a lug on the left of my tripod plate. Unfortunately that plate did not fit the K-1 so for the last week I have only been able to use one attachment point. It worked, but it also made me very uncomfortable. Got a new plate yesterday and now I am back to two attachment points and feel much better.

05-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
With the DA*300, I re-rig it so the weight of the kit is carried by the tripod foot.
Now that is a great idea! I think I have a spare connector I could put on the lens. Where did you get the threaded bolt you are using on the lens for attachment?
05-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
looks like a two point mount is best. unfortunately black rapid only goes for the one point. oh well..... i'll figure something out.

05-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I did buy the adapter to be able to use both the tripodmount and the strap at the same time, however, it didn't fit my tripod mount.

Was it the FastenR-T1 (like this: Black Rapid Fastenr T1 for Manfrotto Quick Release Plate | eBay) you bought? Which tripod mount are you using?
05-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a Quickstrap (Black Rapid Copy of sorts) mount, and it has a compatible tripod mount. May be another option.
05-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Was it the FastenR-T1 (like this: Black Rapid Fastenr T1 for Manfrotto Quick Release Plate | eBay) you bought? Which tripod mount are you using?
That is what I have and it works very well for me.

05-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

I have been using the Black Rapid strap for a couple of years. I only use the left strap attachment point and have not had any problems.
05-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Forum Member

Depending on what tripod system you have, you might still be able to make it work. The fastenr didn't fit my plate either (mefoto, same as many of the newer manfrotto), but since it's arca-swiss I was able to use a plate that was compatible with both the fastenr and my tripod (I bought blackrapid's own plate, though an older manfrotto plate would work as well).
05-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
that's the one.

My tripod is a Chinese made amazon special, not sure if another tripod mount will work or not. I would have to dremel out material from the mount to make the Black rapid on work i may look into that in the near future.
05-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter

My tripod is a Chinese made amazon special

Could you post a link? I suppose the tripod head uses som kind of quick release plate.
05-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

I use a Joby ultra plate (Arca-swiss) in combination with a Joby slingstrap, however I've seen people using Black rapids with the plate without problems.
They're available from Amazon for about £18.00
Sorry forgot to add that you can attach the camera to the tripod without removing the strap from the plate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-JB01313-UltraPlate/dp/B00LBE33BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie...oby+ultraplate

Last edited by MSBC1; 05-17-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added info
05-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Could you post a link? I suppose the tripod head uses som kind of quick release plate.
Hot New Tripod Professional Folding Tripod Q666 Tripod Monopod for Camera Fuji | eBay

This is my tripod. Sorry it was an ebay special. If you scroll down to the pictures of the mounting plate you can see that the area around the mounting screw is quite tight. that is what would need to be dremled out.
05-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hot New Tripod Professional Folding Tripod Q666 Tripod Monopod for Camera Fuji | eBay

This is my tripod. Sorry it was an ebay special. If you scroll down to the pictures of the mounting plate you can see that the area around the mounting screw is quite tight. that is what would need to be dremled out.
You could also replace that head, I imagine. Although a quality head will exceed the price of this tripod and head.
05-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Believe it or not the quality of the tripod is quite good. So a new ball mount is not really in the cards right now.