Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
will a Yongnuo YN-14EX work on pentax? Or what path should I travel?

As I understand it, the flash is for Canon cameras and apparently talks "canon". but would it work as a manual flash when mounted on a pentax, or will it not work at all? I am tired of running around with my normal flash hand held with a cord...

Right now I see a couple of different possibilities.

1. buy a cheap flash. ($100)
- have not found any manual and not sure the Yongnuo works.
2. buy old flash ($100 or less)
- not very common
3. buy new Pentax flash. ($500)
- expensive
4. buy new sigma or metz.($300)
- sigma flashes are a letdown for me, metz is the only option for me.
5. since I know someone will suggest it, a led ring
- not a path I want to travel.
6. DIY ring thingie to my current flash
- probably not, it seems like it is working rather bad

I really do not need any automatic stuff. My current setup is a 540 in a softbox with a cable and setting the flash is not an issue.... You see I'm holding a flash in one hand, camera in the other and trying to do hand held macro... thats the challenge have you ever tried focusing while holding a flash and a softbox with the hand you need to do the focus with?

05-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
I really do not need any automatic stuff. My current setup is a 540 in a softbox with a cable and setting the flash is not an issue.... You see I'm holding a flash in one hand, camera in the other and trying to do hand held macro... thats the challenge have you ever tried focusing while holding a flash and a softbox with the hand you need to do the focus with?
Why not simply get a flash bracket ? This is what they are made for...
05-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That flash has the same hotshoe as Pentax, Discharged, and should work in Manual Mode rather than E-TTL. But that's what you want for macro work, anyway.
05-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yongnuo

I use the Yongnuo YN560-IV with the Pentax and the YN560-TX controller for Nikon on my K3.
The flash is all manual but can be set by the controller and the controller will fire from the on camera hot shoe.
I had read on the forums here that either Nikon or Canon version of the controller will work but that the Canon version wont wake when in sleep mode.
Haven't had any issues with the Nikon version at all.
Went this route as my 540 with cord was a hassle and never seemed to put out the right light in P_TTL mode so was manual use anyway.
Most time I put either camera or lights on a stand. Will use a home made bracket if trying to hand hold both.
Couple of samples from the Yongnuo set up this last weekend.

Attached Images