Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First ND Filter?

Howdy-

Finally getting around to buying a first ND filter.

Would you recommend ND 8 as a good starter, and any favorite brands?

Still need to decide too which size/lens to buy the first one for, maybe 77 for the 12-24, or 49 to cover both the 77 and 43.

Thanks for any thoughts. I suspect this is an old topic. . .

05-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I suspect this is an old topic. . .
Probably. In fact there is a thread running now with a lot of info in it. Found it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/320358...nd-filter.html

Anyway to answer your question you need to know what you want to do with that filter. An ND8 will be 3 stops and useful for a lot of things, including waterfalls. A 10 stop or ND1000 is also useful, and can provide the dreamy moving cloud and flat water effect.

For your first ND I would say the ND8 would be a good choice for general use. I usually carry an ND8 and an ND1000

For brands, first remember that most brands have several lines so just saying buy this brand is not going to help as for example Hoya has some really cheap junk, mid price lines and some really good high end stuff.
I have and like filters from B+W and Marumi. I have also just started using filters from Breakthrough Photography and so far I'm really impressed. Very expensive though. Check their website for a nice guide on using ND filters even if you buy something else.
05-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own one of these Cokin ND-X adjustable ND filters in 52 mm. It cost $135, but I only have to carry one filter and a few step up or step down rings. It's pretty amazing.
If you don't want to take such a deep monetary plunge, I'd suggest an ND 8. IMO, you really don't notice the ND's effect in daylight until you get the long shutter speeds, so I avoid ND 4. You can stack ND filters to good effect as well.
In any case, I'd go for a a large diameter and a few step down rings to avoid vignetting on the widest diameter lens.