Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Grip, batteries, weight!

Hi All,

I just received my grip (K10D) and am really happy with the new feel of the camera. An obvious side-effect is the added weight. Removing the second battery (I left the one in the grip) solves that, but I was wondering how others deal with grips, batteries and weight? Do you just carry an extra battery, have a grip with battery, one without, or...

Thanks!

07-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Personally, I have the battery in the camera and nothing in the grip. I find this gives me better balance...having it in the grip and nothing in the camera makes the camera + grip combo left side heavy. I have an extra battery that I leave in my bag or pocket (on cold days), in order to keep the weight down.
07-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I vary depending on what kind of shooting I do, for events where I'm not going to have a lot of time to trade out batteries I will do both. If I only use one battery, the camera is usually empty and the battery is in the grip. It's too much of a pain to take the grip off for every battery change.
07-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #4

I'm shooting with a K200D with the grip and I keep it fully loaded (batteries in both). With the lens I keep on it (Sigma 24-70 2.8 with 82mmų) it's a heavy rig anyway, so a little more weight is well worth getting twice as many shots without worrying about batteries.

07-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The general feel of it all is terrific,well balance and weighted

Load me up and watch me shoot

cheers
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all, as usual there's no single best solution!
For now I'll stick w. only one battery in the grip (just so it's accessible), although I find it's making it harder to keep the camera level when pointing stright down. (Or did I never before pay attention to this?)
Anyway, really pleased with my new toy! (now I have to go powertraining, the DA*16-50 doesn't help keeping things light)
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I also keep my K200D and grip fully loaded as well (batts in camera and grip). With my Tamron 70-300, the total weight is over four pounds. Pretty heavy, but well balanced.

07-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I prefer mine with both batteries in. It's heavy to start with but you get used to it. Think of it as a fitness regime.
07-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1 in the mag and 1 in the pipe. Yeah it weighs more, but it feels like it weighs less because of how well it's balanced.
07-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the Ownuser grip for K100D and coupled with metal lenses, throw in a flash, and my wrist went bye bye. LoL. Since most of my lenses are film era metalweights, I can run with thre grip empty and still be fine.
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Grip and Battery

I too have the K10 and grip. It does add some weight but I don't find it excessive. The K10 is too small for my hand without the grip. I find it also improves the overall ballance. It's nice not having to think about battery failure with two available all the time.

Tom G
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I too have the K10 and grip. It does add some weight but I don't find it excessive. The K10 is too small for my hand without the grip. I find it also improves the overall ballance. It's nice not having to think about battery failure with two available all the time.

Tom G
While my wife and I were at the Bar U Ranch recently, I met a nice lady with a K10 - she was married with kids, so my wife just wandered off - "He's talking cameras, I've got lots of time to do ...". She picked up my K10 with the grip and both batteries, and fell in love with the feel immediately. She originally was wondering about getting a new lens, and has gone for the grip first, just because of how the K10 (and the K20) balance with the grip. The 16-50 was on the camera at the time.
07-20-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll err.. weigh in here as well. I use the grip with both batteries. Real nice balanced feel to me, and as a fan of the espresso, the inertia helps in low light or slow shot moments.

I was figuring on leaving the grip at home when carry backpacks and working all day to save the weight. Mind you, I could save an easy ten kilos of weight by loosing it elsewhere...
07-20-2008, 05:21 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Not that I am scientifically inclined but with the option of using both batteries at once (that is the one with the higher charge in it) as you can - would you not get more life from the two than from two separate batteries?? - if you know what I mean. BTW I have both batteries in all the time and shoot the 50-135 with the FGZ 560 for weddings - usually by the end of the day my elbow is cramping badly!

Last edited by fula6; 07-20-2008 at 05:22 AM. Reason: typo's!!
07-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I prefer mine with both batteries in. It's heavy to start with but you get used to it. Think of it as a fitness regime.
^^

Works also effective against vibrations.