Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma EF-610 DG Super on K1

Could anyone please share the experience on Sigma flashes (especially EF-610 DG Super) on Pentax DSLRs (K1 and K3-II). Is there any incompatibilities?

I have an opportunity to buy a new Sigma EF-610 DG Super at a discounted price and would like to know whether it is a good buy or not. Pentax flash price seems to be a bit high for me

-

05-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine works fine on the K-3 (works same as K-3II) with no known incompatibilities. That being said, I have not been able to test off-camera HSS, off-camera use with multiple flash, or with the EF-610 DG Super as master/controller. (I only own the built-in flash and EF-610 DG Super for P-TTL use.)

Edit: For clarification, I have had no problems using it off-camera as slave with the built-in flash acting as Master or Controller.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-27-2016 at 10:42 AM.
05-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emsee Quote
Could anyone please share the experience on Sigma flashes (especially EF-610 DG Super) on Pentax DSLRs (K1 and K3-II). Is there any incompatibilities?

I have an opportunity to buy a new Sigma EF-610 DG Super at a discounted price and would like to know whether it is a good buy or not. Pentax flash price seems to be a bit high for me

-
I use it on my K5II. Very powerful flash with an extremely confusing user interface... and the manual only further confuses things. After I somewhat figured it out, it still was terrible to work with in any sort of off-camera setup. Now that I have a AF540FGZ II and a few Cactus RF60's it just sits in my bag. I couldn't find any info on if it is compatible with the K1. If you can figure it out, it's a definite buy in the < $150 range.
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
it's a definite buy in the < $150 range
You must be thinking of the EF-610 DG ST. The Super is about $250 USD. The difference between the two is that the "ST" does not support off camera (wireless) or HSS.

Steve

05-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You must be thinking of the EF-610 DG ST. The Super is about $250 USD. The difference between the two is that the "ST" does not support off camera (wireless) or HSS.

Steve
No, when I said "It is a definite buy in the < $150 range" I was stating that if anyone finds it for less than $150 it is a recommended purchase.
05-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was stating that if anyone finds it for less than $150 it is a recommended purchase.
Got it! I did a quick search and Abe's of Maine has it for $139 with free shipping. I normally don't recommend buying from AoM, but that is a pretty good deal as long as the flash is not gray market.

Steve
05-27-2016, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I've had no problems using mine off camera with or without my two other, 540fgz's. It will do Hss on camera however it won't do Hss as a slave. It will however do Hss as an on camera controller with other off camera Hss slave compatible flashes such as the 540fgz.

05-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got it! I did a quick search and Abe's of Maine has it for $139 with free shipping. I normally don't recommend buying from AoM, but that is a pretty good deal as long as the flash is not gray market.

Steve
I checked their web site. The only one available is the canon version. Also it is the non-super version.

---------- Post added 05-27-16 at 08:00 PM ----------

No, when I said "It is a definite buy in the < $150 range" I was stating that if anyone finds it for less than $150 it is a recommended purchase.
I am getting it for less than $200 (DG-Super) and I do not know whether it is worth trying. I am also NOT planning to use it for any off camera situations
06-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear there won't be a problem with the K-3 (just bought a used body).

I have used mine with my K-30 for the past couple years in every mode except HSS (only meaning I haven't tried it). Getting some of the functions working correctly involves changing settings on both the camera AND the flash. Until you get it all figured out, I strongly recommend putting both the camera and the flash user manuals side by side aligned with the desired function, and read carefully. Wireless (P-TTL) especially takes a bit to figure out. Now I just do it quickly on the fly. For example a few months ago while visiting our daughter, she requested a new head shot for her business web page. I didn't exactly bring a studio setup with me, and there was no suitable backdrop in the house. We moved outside, but I couldn't deal with the contrast from the sun, so we stood in the shadow of the garage with foliage about 15 feet behind our daughter. I turned my spouse into a light stand holding the Sigma EF610 DG Super slightly high and at a 45 degree angle as a key light (pretending it was the sun), and the built-in flash as the fill. It took about 30 seconds to key in the wireless settings and take a test shot. And another half-minute to take the desired image. My spouse jokingly complained about the complexity of her job, but I had a happy daughter and mother.
03-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Reviving an old thread. I am thinking of getting Sigma again ..

I can see that even the DG-Super is almost the half price compared to Pentax AF540GZ II and Metz 64 AF-1. Not sure whether Sigma does P-TTL properly. Also, could anyone please let me know whether the recycle time is good or is it slow (heard some complaints with Canon and Nikon version)
03-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Reviving an old thread. I am thinking of getting Sigma again ..

I can see that even the DG-Super is almost the half price compared to Pentax AF540GZ II and Metz 64 AF-1. Not sure whether Sigma does P-TTL properly. Also, could anyone please let me know whether the recycle time is good or is it slow (heard some complaints with Canon and Nikon version)
The EF-610 DG Super is discontinued for Pentax, though there may be residual stock from some vendors. Pentax feature support is comprehensive and the P-TTL implementation (wireless included) is stable and accurate. The one thing I have not been able to test is the Sigma as wireless master/controller. As for recycle time, that is dependent on intensity setting, battery type, and battery state of charge. I have never timed it and my batteries are not fresh, so am unable to provide a number for you.

Steve
03-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
The EF-610 DG Super is discontinued for Pentax, though there may be residual stock from some vendors. Pentax feature support is comprehensive and the P-TTL implementation (wireless included) is stable and accurate. The one thing I have not been able to test is the Sigma as wireless master/controller. As for recycle time, that is dependent on intensity setting, battery type, and battery state of charge. I have never timed it and my batteries are not fresh, so am unable to provide a number for you.

Steve
Thank you very much Steve.

Could you please let me know whether you have used it with K-1? Since you have mentioned that the P-TTL is very accurate with Sigma 610 Super, I have one less thing to worry.....

Based on your experience, did you find any issues? I may not be using in the wireless mode, so that is not something I am worry about. Though you have never timed or your batteries might not be fresh, did you experience any significant delays for shot to shot?

-Emsee
03-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Could you please let me know whether you have used it with K-1?
I don't own a K-1 and probably should not have responded since there is the outside chance that there might be a point of incompatibility with a newer camera. Case in point might be reported problems of bounce flash overexposure when pairing the K-70 with the AF-540 FGZ (original version).

Based on your experience, did you find any issues?
Define issue I have not had any poor exposures on the K10D or K-3 when using the flash with auto-focus lenses. There are potential issues with A-series lenses; however, those exist for Pentax-brand flashes as well.* In general, I don't really "challenge" the system too much, which might explain my lack of troubles.

Trouble comes for Pentax P-TTL when the flash does not properly attenuate the pre-flash or when even the lowest power pre-flash is too strong. A common case is a combination of high-ISO, wide aperture, and moderate distance. The result is severe over-exposure. Think "P" mode with auto-ISO and a fairly fast lens in a dimly lit wedding reception. Depending on distance, the pre-flash may overwhelm available algorithms; in which case, the system fails over by firing the flash at full power. Simply put, P-TTL does not play well with high-ISO and a powerful flash.

I recharged my batteries and the recycle times in with a fresh set of Eneloops:
  • Full power: ~6s
  • 1/64 power: instantaneous
  • In P-TTL, f/2.8, ISO 200, dim room, slow burst drive mode: three shots in sequence, failed on fourth.
  • Same as above, single shot, bounce to 20' ceiling: ~2.5s
  • Same as above, bounce to 10' ceiling: instantaneous
I hope this helps.

Steve

* The camera manuals consistently list the A-series lenses as being fully P-TTL compatible, while the Pentax flash manuals all have a small footnote indicating that proper P-TTL exposure requires an auto-focus lens. Go figure.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.
03-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't own a K-1 and probably should not have responded since there is the outside chance that there might be a point of incompatibility with a newer camera. Case in point might be reported problems of bounce flash overexposure when pairing the K-70 with the AF-540 FGZ (original version).

Define issue I have not had any poor exposures on the K10D or K-3 when using the flash with auto-focus lenses. There are potential issues with A-series lenses; however, those exist for Pentax-brand flashes as well.* In general, I don't really "challenge" the system too much, which might explain my lack of troubles.

Trouble comes for Pentax P-TTL when the flash does not properly attenuate the pre-flash or when even the lowest power pre-flash is too strong. A common case is a combination of high-ISO, wide aperture, and moderate distance. The result is severe over-exposure. Think "P" mode with auto-ISO and a fairly fast lens in a dimly lit wedding reception. Depending on distance, the pre-flash may overwhelm available algorithms; in which case, the system fails over by firing the flash at full power. Simply put, P-TTL does not play well with high-ISO and a powerful flash.

I recharged my batteries and the recycle times in with a fresh set of Eneloops:
  • Full power: ~6s
  • 1/64 power: instantaneous
  • In P-TTL, f/2.8, ISO 200, dim room, slow burst drive mode: three shots in sequence, failed on fourth.
  • Same as above, single shot, bounce to 20' ceiling: ~2.5s
  • Same as above, bounce to 10' ceiling: instantaneous
I hope this helps.

Steve

* The camera manuals consistently list the A-series lenses as being fully P-TTL compatible, while the Pentax flash manuals all have a small footnote indicating that proper P-TTL exposure requires an auto-focus lens. Go figure.
Yes, this is really helpful..Thanks
03-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
obviously has no use on the K-3II or K-1, if you are using the pop up flash as a P-TTL controller only, you can eliminate any residual subject illumination using an IR panel
Nikon SG-3IR IR Panel for Built-In Flash 4905 B&H Photo Video There are alternatives to the Nikon branded unit. I have heard using a piece of exposed and processed film leader or an IR filter will also work, but not as convenient. The wireless P-TLL data is communicated via IR in the pre-flash, so blocking the visible portion doesn't impact wireless flash.