Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your Pentax uses 1/4-20.

06-03-2016, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To get the best out of a ballhead, you don't mount your camera body directly to it, use a macrorail, that way you balance the mass of the camera and lens combo, makes a world of difference.
06-04-2016, 02:53 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I have the Sherpa 600 you mention and when I unscrew the whole head assembly I can swap in a ball head - but seldom do as I like the pan and tilt on the Sherpa - adequate for the job.
Okay, you and I are very much on the same wavelength - what's the screw size on the base, and what ball head are you using? This was from the beginning the $64,000 question - can I go off-brand, and if so, to what?

The PT head on the Sherpa is indeed good - pan and tilt are linked and locked by the same twist, whereas on my garage sale cheapo ($5 so I am not complaining), pan and tilt have separate locks. Which is sort of good in a way, but it can get in the way of doing things quickly.
06-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The thread is the 1/4" 20 mentioned previously.

I purchased one of the Chinese copies of the Arca or benro.. I made a mistake and got the 3/8" thread so then had to get a couple of grommet things. Thing screws right on fine. First bought the ball to go on the end of a leki walking pole. The camera fit directly on the pole but it was annoying to walk with and couldn't aim down steeply enough to use in a practical way. The ballhead has the QR plate so makes loading the camera a breeze when needed and can angle the camera down when needed for macro photography support when walking. The macro lens doesnt overtax the cheap ball heads squeeze system.

So yep third party stuff is pretty much interchangeable.

06-04-2016, 05:15 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It seems like there are two threads, either 1/4 or 3/8, and having an adaptor grommet would open up a world of possibilities, just as the M42/K adaptor does. Perhaps something to consider at K-1 purchase time.
06-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
(IMHO, the best almost at any price are currently made by Sirui).
Agreed. They are built solid and very smooth. My K-40x is built like a tank and may very well be able to support one as well. It was $165 and I would not hesitate to compare it to any $500 model out there.