Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Domke F-832 vs Thinktank Perspective 10 or Something Else?

It's that time of year again where I begin my quest for the perfect bag. I've called every camera bag in a two hour range and none of them carry the bags so I have no idea which bag would work best for me.

I want something that would allow me to carry my K-3, a Sigma 17-50, & a Sigma 70-200 (sometimes a different lens), and a flash. Eventually, I do want to upgrade to a K-1. I also want this to be my primary camera bag. I have an iPad that I usually carry around with me and maybe one day I'll upgrade to a laptop (no plans yet).

I know the perfect camera bag doesn't exist, but would either one of those bags satisfy my current hopes, dreams, and desires? Or is there something else I should be looking into? I really hope the experiences of all of you can bail me out yet again.

Thank you all in advance!

06-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have used different bags and aluminum and heavy duty reinforced camera cases over the years. My favourite in almost half a century of using different bags/cases to carry my camera equipment...is the Domke F2 Original bag. I have two, a black one and a olive green one. They are great, from clips to the heavy canvas material to the wonderful 'grippy' carrying straps.

I carry a whole load of camera bodies, lenses, flashes and other photo gear in these fine, rugged bags. On trips, my wife stuffs her Apple IPad in the back pocket of the F2.

Check link .

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=...0Iw3KRVeCjGIrg
06-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check out my quick review of the Domke F-5XC. I'm thinking the F-832 may be a bit large for you. Domke F-5XC reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Here's my quick youtube review as well.

06-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As per drilines video, I can confirm the sigma 70-200/2.8 fits where his F*300/4.5 goes....I use the F-5xc as my OS travel bag.... fits K-1 as well......I use the F2 as a "mother bag"..... F-5xb makes a great man bag as well.... holds K-1 and 3 primes....... whoever dies with the most bags wins.

The F-5xb gets on planes as a man bag as well, so you can take a normal carry on and have your camera and a couple of lenses in your "personal bag" F-5xb

The F-832 looks nice....couldn't see you going wrong with it......I'm a bit of a ruggedwear fan.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-03-2016 at 06:22 PM.
06-03-2016, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The F-5xb gets on planes as a man bag as well, so you can take a normal carry on and have your camera and a couple of lenses in your "personal bag" F-5xb
I use the Domke F-5XB bag a lot. It's small and lightweight. It fits my DA*200 or both my FA 31 and DA 14 together. It's just so versatile. By the way, it's your turn to do a youtube review of this bag

I must admit...I have BBA. Bag Buying addiction. I've got 3 Domke's 1 Kata, 1 Billingham Hadley Pro, a Tamrac Pro 8 and a Lowepro 200 AW lens exchange case. On top of that I've got 2 Clik backpacks and a clik telephoto chest carrier bag I just recently purchased from bhphotovideo for an amazing $39 price! And I only own 8 lenses! My wife has a K-50 with two kit lenses though, so she obviously needs a bag as well

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 08:15 PM ----------

I use the F-5xc as my OS travel bag
You need a Billingham Hadley Pro. You havent lived until you own one.
06-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

You need a Billingham Hadley Pro. You havent lived until you own one.
They look to be a nice refined bag, I doubt one would want to be seen in public with me!
06-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a big fan of Domke bags. Over the years I have used the F-6, the F-2B, the F-2 and a F-1.
I currently am using a F-2B. I like it the best. Perfect size, and I like the ballistic nylon even better than the canvas.

06-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Thank you all in advance!
Ok reivax..so what have you decided?
06-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Ok reivax..so what have you decided?
I really haven't decided on anything just yet. I feel like I'm still in the same place, either the Domke or the Thinktank. This seems to be one of those, "I've got to see them in person." I'm taking a trip to Los Angeles next weekend. There must be a camera place there that carries both bags. Hopefully, I can decide then and I don't end up falling in love with both. haha.

Thank you guys again for all your input. As always, more input is always welcome.
06-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I really haven't decided on anything just yet. I feel like I'm still in the same place, either the Domke or the Thinktank. This seems to be one of those, "I've got to see them in person." I'm taking a trip to Los Angeles next weekend. There must be a camera place there that carries both bags. Hopefully, I can decide then and I don't end up falling in love with both. haha.

Thank you guys again for all your input. As always, more input is always welcome.
Clearly our work here isn't done, not having persuaded you yet that you need one of everything.....
06-04-2016, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clearly our work here isn't done, not having persuaded you yet that you need one of everything.....
I'm about 99 percent convince I need both bags and a third one. Almost there.
06-05-2016, 04:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I couldn't find a place in my city that carried any Domke bags, or had the F2 Originals in stock for me to peruse. Like you (original poster), I prefer to check out a purchase personally before I buy.

Unfortunately, I'm finding less camera stores around town to do so and in the case of the Domke bag, I had to order an F-2 in from the Domke distributor. I used it for awhile, really liked it and ordered a second one.

I have two, a black one and an olive green. I use the black one for my K10D and assorted lenses and my olive green for my K-5, Km bodies and assorted lenses. This way, I know which bag contains which equipment and can grab whichever one I need and get on my way. This colour coding has worked out well for me. Although I must admit that I generally take both F-2's and in addition a separate old LowePro for my Sekonic flash meter.

If I get a K-1 body and FF lens....I'll order a light sandy brown coloured one for that camera.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-05-2016 at 04:55 AM.