Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, the Lucimeter did not go too well - it's metering accurately but has become very "sticky" and slow to move between one reading and another.

Like I said, it was a gamble and one I was willing to lose on. But it whetted my appetite, and by the time I pronounced its present death (to quote Shakespeare), I was the proud recipient (in today's mail) of a Sekonic Studio Deluxe with a complete set of calibrated-reading slides, which when inserted enable direct reading and setting of aperture for various combinations of shutter speed and ASA.

I took a little walk around the block today with my K-5 and FA50/1.4, so that I could set every f stop it demanded of me (the lowest actually marked is 1.4, but if I use my imagination there is a prominent area near the 5 foot candle gradation that might be f/1.2). Quick peeks on the rear screen with every shot showed that it was as near to what I was seeing with the naked eye as made no difference (or at least only a very mild treatment would be required for optimisation in post). When I was that far near the low end, I found that adding a half-stop for luck did no harm at all.

Experimentation has show that without any of the slides in, the aperture can be direct-read as if 1/60 and 400 ASA were chosen, which is convenient as this matches the flash sync speed of my Spotmatics and MX and the film speed I most commonly load into them.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a K-5 to adjust its shutter speeds in whole stops only?

08-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #32
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Can anyone recommend a basic one of these, either old-school (selenium-cell self-powered) but still not too hard to find, or new but accurate for incident light? I do not think my Android app is really up to snuff.

Professional grade Whiz-bang, do-everything bells-and-whistles is not being sought here.

What do people have, and what are the ups and downs they have found with what they use?
Gossen Digisix,. Small, easy to carry, gives an EV. I leave mine ISO 100 and use Sunny16 as anchor. Got mine used at KEH
08-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is good to see the keen users of the vintage light meters!

The first one I restored in 2013 was a Pentax 3/21 spotmeter, the project described here with photos
Vintage Spot Meter Refurbish | APUG.ORG
I still use this one with my Graflex and RB67 etc, and its battery is still good.

I have some kind of interest in these old meters,
of the the CdS (LDR) and early GaS (photodiode) ones ( say 1958 ~ 1978)

The next project is to "improve" the electronics in a LunaSix,
basically re-use its optical front end,
set aside all its crude inaccurate electromechanical parts,
and append better electronics (but still from the period)
add modern batteries
retain the whimsical Gossen circular slide rule used to convert EV to camera settings

I added a tiny temp controller for the Gossen LDR and the anti-log junction,
in case I ever feel like going out on a Michigan "20 F below" winter morning.

I have it mostly working on the bench. It will have a custom printed circuit board.
I wanted to do it using the hand laid artwork of the time,
but the tapes and graphics are no longer available!
So I had to do it on a pcb cad application.
Next step is to try to do the tooling photography with the 4x5 camera and then produce some pcb from the negs
in my darkroom. (The process to make a printed circuit board in that time was similar to making a b/w wet print.)

By the way, here is a site for finding the sun's position, useful for checking EV at the brightest time of day:
SunCalc - sun position, sunlight phases, sunrise, sunset, dusk and dawn times calculator