Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'm ready for my trip!

I leave in two days for my wedding in the USVI, St. John.

We'll be there for 10 days, the first 4 at a resort, then the last 5 nights at a cabin in the national park.

My soon-to-be-wife is extremely excited to sleep in, wake up and walk down to the beach to relax all afternoon.
I am extremely excited to get up at first light every morning and take my K-3ii for a walk, then meet her at the cabin just as she wakes up for coffee and breakfast.

I'm travelling light; here's the gear I'm packing:

K-3ii
3 batteries + chargers (wall/car adapter)
2 memory cards (Lexar 32GB 1000x Class 10)
DA 70mm limited
DA 15mm limited
DA* 300mm (should be limited...)
Tripod with ball-head
Accoutrement (rocket-blower, microfiber cloths, remote shutter, DIY neck strap, spare arca-swiss plates, day-bag for carrying all this ^^^)

Can anyone think of something I am missing!?!
I don't really have time to order anything online and there aren't any shops around here carrying Pentax gear... But is there something so basic I am overlooking it?!

Getting married and enjoying our honeymoon is obviously priority! But I want to come prepared for some amazing photo opportunities while we're there.

Cheers!
Logan

06-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Have you still got your 35 Ltd?
If so I'd take that if I were you.
06-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near a beach without a WR lens myself.
06-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Have you still got your 35 Ltd?
If so I'd take that if I were you.
ahh I traded it for the DA15 limited...
I may regret that decision!

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near a beach without a WR lens myself.
I used to be so worried about non-WR stuff at the beach.

But I started being honesty with myself... If my gear took a tumble into the ocean, WR is not going to do much for salt water...

I'm careful about only taking my gear out when I'm shooting and always have a strap on my wrist or across my chest.
I feel okay now with the limited primes a few feet from the water.

Can't worry too much about gear or you won't get the shots you are capable of!

06-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say you're missing something in the useful 20-45 mm range myself.
Best of luck with your wedding though. Have a terrific time!
06-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Toss your 18-135 in the bag. Trust me on this.
06-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Sounds lovely! My own soon-to-be are planning something similar later this year, although we are having trouble choosing between the Irish countryside and Bermuda

Since you are forgoing a zoom, if you have one, perhaps the 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter might be a good idea, since it will be small and light yet still give you a bunch more flexibility with your focal lengths. Lensrentals.com has the 1.4x for $59 per 12 days. You can probably have it sent directly to the VI at domestic rates since it's a US territory. The 1.7x you'd have to purchase, and since you are using all AF lenses, the 1.4 might be the way to go.

So with the 1.4, you'd have 15mm, 21mm, 70mm, 98mm, 300mm, and 420mm, leaving only one hole at the middle to standard range.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

Add this with the 1.4, and you'd have pretty much every range from wide to super-tele covered at only 1 lb added to your kit.
Ahhh I WISH!

I've been staring at that HD 1.4xTC online for weeks...
Ever since getting my hands on the DA*300!

I don't think I'll be able to swing that for the trip unfortunately. The rental option looks promising, though we're going to be bouncing around the island so much I am not sure I can guarantee a shipping location, plus it'd be about $100 said and done... I'd rather put that towards purchasing the TC when I return.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa Lazarou Quote
I would say you're missing something in the useful 20-45 mm range myself.
Best of luck with your wedding though. Have a terrific time!
Yeah, kind of kicking myself for trading the 35mm macro...
Hopefully the DA15 will produce something though!

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Toss your 18-135 in the bag. Trust me on this.
Shoot, I haven't updated my account info in a while...
I sold that lens a few weeks back.

I wanted to pick up a 16-85wr before the trip but that didn't happen.

I'll make do with the 15/70/300 combo.

Can't wait to post some shots here when I get back!

06-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ahhh I WISH!

I've been staring at that HD 1.4xTC online for weeks...
Ever since getting my hands on the DA*300!

I don't think I'll be able to swing that for the trip unfortunately. The rental option looks promising, though we're going to be bouncing around the island so much I am not sure I can guarantee a shipping location, plus it'd be about $100 said and done... I'd rather put that towards purchasing the TC when I return.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 11:54 AM ----------

Yeah, kind of kicking myself for trading the 35mm macro...
Hopefully the DA15 will produce something though!

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 11:55 AM ----------

Shoot, I haven't updated my account info in a while...
I sold that lens a few weeks back.

I wanted to pick up a 16-85wr before the trip but that didn't happen.

I'll make do with the 15/70/300 combo.

Can't wait to post some shots here when I get back!
See if you can budget in a 20-40 LTD then. You're going to miss that range, or of course get that 16-85.

Think about it this way, do you want to swap lenses on a beach? Do you want to keep swapping lenses all over the place? Can you get anything to fill that big hole you have between 15 and 70 right now?

I sold off most of my primes (sig is current) because primes might be for the special shot, but a good high quality zoom will take care of most anything and is convenient when wandering along, plus will keep salt spray and sand from the camera.
06-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Not a filter guy?

If you happen to plan on being in the DC area before you leave, I have an 18-135mm WR I could lend.
06-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

swimming trunk?
06-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations and have a wonderful trip! A couple of suggestions to add to your kit:

I love these Nikon Moist Lens Cleaning Clothes. I don't need them every day, but sometimes they deal with what the rocket blower and regular soft cloth won't handle:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Moist-Lens-Cleaner-Cloths/dp/B000LC5V9M/ref=sr_1...t+lens+cleaner

Filters: a simple haze filter as protection (important for a beach location where there can be a fair bit of flying grit around), a polarizing filter for at least one of of your lenses, and maybe a ND filter so that you can do some interesting stuff with water.

A drybag or two: Pentax is weather-resistant but it's not perfect, and salt water can really muck things up. For a recent trip to the Galapagos, I brought a sturdy drybag (20L) that was big enough to hold my small camera backpack.
http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Gear-Watersports-Activities-Reflective/dp/B...ilpage_o07_s00

But I got more use out of some smaller and lighter dry sacks like these. The 4-liter version was big enough to hold my camera with 55-300 attached. I had a 2-liter and a 1-liter bag as well for lenses. They fold down almost to nothing (could fit in a pants pocket or your camera bag, so they're available when you need them unexpectedly.)
Ultra-SilŪ Dry Sack | Sea to Summit

Unrelated to photography, I highly recommend these Deet wet-wipe packets (individual use). With Zika-bearing mosquitoes around, no one wants to get bitten by bugs (especially on a honeymoon). But carrying a bottle of Deet around is sticky and icky. So I carry some of these packets with me all the time in summer months and that way I can apply Deet quickly if the place/time turns out to be buggy. Make sure you get the ones in individual packets (and bring a small bottle of repellent as well for use when you know you're heading out to a buggy environment), and you should be well-stocked.
Amazon.com: Ben's 30 Percent Wipes 12-count Travel Wipes: Health & Personal Care
06-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #12

I leave in two days for my wedding in the USVI, St. John.

We'll be there for 10 days, the first 4 at a resort, then the last 5 nights at a cabin in the national park.

My soon-to-be-wife is extremely excited to sleep in, wake up and walk down to the beach to relax all afternoon.
I am extremely excited to get up at first light every morning and take my K-3ii for a walk, then meet her at the cabin just as she wakes up for coffee and breakfast.

I'm travelling light; here's the gear I'm packing:

K-3ii
3 batteries + chargers (wall/car adapter)
2 memory cards (Lexar 32GB 1000x Class 10)
DA 70mm limited
DA 15mm limited
DA* 300mm (should be limited...)
Tripod with ball-head
Accoutrement (rocket-blower, microfiber cloths, remote shutter, DIY neck strap, spare arca-swiss plates, day-bag for carrying all this ^^^)

I don't really have time to order anything online and there aren't any shops around here carrying Pentax gear... But is there something so basic I am overlooking it?!

Getting married and enjoying our honeymoon is obviously priority! But I want to come prepared for some amazing photo opportunities while we're there.

Cheers!
Logan
Your equipment sounds/looks fine to me. However, I'd also do some retro-planning and thinking on how to properly enjoy both of your objectives without the camera getting in the way...
06-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jmhsnk Quote
Not a filter guy?

If you happen to plan on being in the DC area before you leave, I have an 18-135mm WR I could lend.
haha
We actually fly out of BWI, staying in Columbia, MD tomorrow night.

I'd feel uneasy with someone else's gear... I wouldn't keep comfortable with that.

Thank you so much for the offer though!
This is why I love this forum.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Congratulations and have a wonderful trip! A couple of suggestions to add to your kit:

I love these Nikon Moist Lens Cleaning Clothes. I don't need them every day, but sometimes they deal with what the rocket blower and regular soft cloth won't handle:
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Moist-Lens-Cleaner-Cloths/dp/B000LC5V9M/ref=sr_1...t+lens+cleaner

Filters: a simple haze filter as protection (important for a beach location where there can be a fair bit of flying grit around), a polarizing filter for at least one of of your lenses, and maybe a ND filter so that you can do some interesting stuff with water.

A drybag or two: Pentax is weather-resistant but it's not perfect, and salt water can really muck things up. For a recent trip to the Galapagos, I brought a sturdy drybag (20L) that was big enough to hold my small camera backpack.
Amazon.com : DrySak Premium Waterproof Dry Bag with Exterior Zip Pocket | Keeps Gear Safe & Dry During Watersports & Outdoor Activities | Rugged 500D PVC with Shoulder Strap & Reflective Trim | 20L Grey : Sports & Outdoors

But I got more use out of some smaller and lighter dry sacks like these. The 4-liter version was big enough to hold my camera with 55-300 attached. I had a 2-liter and a 1-liter bag as well for lenses. They fold down almost to nothing (could fit in a pants pocket or your camera bag, so they're available when you need them unexpectedly.)
Ultra-SilŪ Dry Sack | Sea to Summit

Unrelated to photography, I highly recommend these Deet wet-wipe packets (individual use). With Zika-bearing mosquitoes around, no one wants to get bitten by bugs (especially on a honeymoon). But carrying a bottle of Deet around is sticky and icky. So I carry some of these packets with me all the time in summer months and that way I can apply Deet quickly if the place/time turns out to be buggy. Make sure you get the ones in individual packets (and bring a small bottle of repellent as well for use when you know you're heading out to a buggy environment), and you should be well-stocked.
Amazon.com: Ben's 30 Percent Wipes 12-count Travel Wipes: Health & Personal Care

That's funny, I actually just ordered 3 packs of those Ben's wipes yesterday to give out to guests when they arrive on the island...
They spray the resort for mosquitos, especially now with the Zika scare.
The cabin though is very much exposed!
No windows, no AC, very backcountry... Mosquito net on bed though!

I haven't thought about ND or polarizing filters!
I'll be looking for waterfalls and will have plenty of time to shoot the sunsets on the beach.
Perhaps I should overnight some filters...
06-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
Forum Member

It's just a lens, and not a very expensive one at that (to replace used). I certainly don't mind. If you change your mind, the offer stands!

If you just want to try an ND filter on the cheap and have Amazon Prime, ICE filters are supposedly amazing for the money, and will only cost you about $26 to get it to you overnight.
06-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's funny, I actually just ordered 3 packs of those Ben's wipes yesterday to give out to guests when they arrive on the island...
They spray the resort for mosquitos, especially now with the Zika scare.
The cabin though is very much exposed!
No windows, no AC, very backcountry... Mosquito net on bed though!

I haven't thought about ND or polarizing filters!
I'll be looking for waterfalls and will have plenty of time to shoot the sunsets on the beach.
Perhaps I should overnight some filters...
For our Borneo and Galapagos trips, we spray-treated certain clothes (including my nightgown) with permithrin (a repellent and insecticide that bonds with your clothes). Works well (and you can get it at camping stores like REI) but be very careful not to spray-treat clothes around pets - it's lethal for cats and dogs until the stuff dries.

I always carry some Ben's wipes in my travel carry-on because in my experience, some of the worst places for mosquitoes are airports - they're often near brackish water and there are lots of doors opening and closing. Nothing worse than waiting at the airport (to check in, for your bags, etc) and watching blood-thirsty mosquitoes circling you like you're the birthday cake at a kids party.