Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Sounds lovely! My own soon-to-be are planning something similar later this year, although we are having trouble choosing between the Irish countryside and Bermuda

Since you are forgoing a zoom, if you have one, perhaps the 1.4x or 1.7x teleconverter might be a good idea, since it will be small and light yet still give you a bunch more flexibility with your focal lengths. Lensrentals.com has the 1.4x for $59 per 12 days. You can probably have it sent directly to the VI at domestic rates since it's a US territory. The 1.7x you'd have to purchase, and since you are using all AF lenses, the 1.4 might be the way to go.

So with the 1.4, you'd have 15mm, 21mm, 70mm, 98mm, 300mm, and 420mm, leaving only one hole at the middle to standard range.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 08:28 AM ----------

Add this with the 1.4, and you'd have pretty much every range from wide to super-tele covered at only 1 lb added to your kit.
Just be aware for future reference that the DA 15 is NOT compatible with the HD DA 1.4x TC - there is a danger of element scratching apparently.

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
haha
We actually fly out of BWI, staying in Columbia, MD tomorrow night.

I'd feel uneasy with someone else's gear... I wouldn't keep comfortable with that.

Thank you so much for the offer though!
This is why I love this forum.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 01:15 PM ----------

That's funny, I actually just ordered 3 packs of those Ben's wipes yesterday to give out to guests when they arrive on the island...
They spray the resort for mosquitos, especially now with the Zika scare.
The cabin though is very much exposed!
No windows, no AC, very backcountry... Mosquito net on bed though!

I haven't thought about ND or polarizing filters!
I'll be looking for waterfalls and will have plenty of time to shoot the sunsets on the beach.
Perhaps I should overnight some filters...
Great forum!

If you can get one in time I suggest a Raynox DCR-150 or 250 or a similar close up LENS (not a simple diopter but a complex multi-element add on lens. These in conjunction with the DA70 and DA* 300 will give you some macro options. Details in the thread below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130066-how-...tion-rate.html

06-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just be aware for future reference that the DA 15 is NOT compatible with the HD DA 1.4x TC - there is a danger of element scratching apparently.

Great forum!

If you can get one in time I suggest a Raynox DCR-150 or 250 or a similar close up LENS (not a simple diopter but a complex multi-element add on lens. These in conjunction with the DA70 and DA* 300 will give you some macro options. Details in the thread below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130066-how-...tion-rate.html
So to get the Raynox DCR150 to work with my DA*300, I would need a series of step down rings (pyramid style?):
77-72
72-68
68-62
62-58
58-55
55-52
52-49

That seems intense if that's the case!

Also, what would the minimum focusing distance be?

Perhaps it's not optimal for the DA*300, but that would be cool to convert that beast into a 1:1 or 1:2 macro...
Loss in light?

Perhaps I should just start a new thread for these questions...
06-06-2016, 01:06 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So to get the Raynox DCR150 to work with my DA*300, I would need a series of step down rings (pyramid style?):
77-72
72-68
68-62
62-58
58-55
55-52
52-49

That seems intense if that's the case!

Also, what would the minimum focusing distance be?

Perhaps it's not optimal for the DA*300, but that would be cool to convert that beast into a 1:1 or 1:2 macro...
Loss in light?

Perhaps I should just start a new thread for these questions...
No, I own the FA* 300 which is 67mm and I forget that the DA* is 77mm. I use this: Raynox CM3500 Lens Universal Adaptr for Cameras UAC3500 which adapts the filter to 67mm. If you had a 77-67 ring plus this I think you would be ok.

I don't recall the distance but there are sites that will calculate it.
06-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, it's your honeymoon, not a shooting adventure.
I guess you will be just fine with 15-77-300 although something around 30mm would be nice to have. Again, you will be just fine, your setup is good enough.
I would get more memory cards, but it's something you always can buy there.
Enjoy!

06-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
2 memory cards (Lexar 32GB 1000x Class 10)
I'd slip a couple more of these in, if I were you.
06-06-2016, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #21

I leave in two days for my wedding in the USVI, St. John.

We'll be there for 10 days, the first 4 at a resort, then the last 5 nights at a cabin in the national park.

My soon-to-be-wife is extremely excited to sleep in, wake up and walk down to the beach to relax all afternoon.
I am extremely excited to get up at first light every morning and take my K-3ii for a walk, then meet her at the cabin just as she wakes up for coffee and breakfast.

I'm travelling light; here's the gear I'm packing:

K-3ii
3 batteries + chargers (wall/car adapter)
2 memory cards (Lexar 32GB 1000x Class 10)
DA 70mm limited
DA 15mm limited
DA* 300mm (should be limited...)
Tripod with ball-head
Accoutrement (rocket-blower, microfiber cloths, remote shutter, DIY neck strap, spare arca-swiss plates, day-bag for carrying all this ^^^)

Can anyone think of something I am missing!?!
I don't really have time to order anything online and there aren't any shops around here carrying Pentax gear... But is there something so basic I am overlooking it?!

Getting married and enjoying our honeymoon is obviously priority! But I want to come prepared for some amazing photo opportunities while we're there.

Cheers!
Logan
If you are enjoying your honeymoon properly you won't have much time to take pictures. I can think of better things you should be doing and thinking about when you wake up than walking away from your new wife to take photos; even amazing ones. Compromise and just take a compact with a reasonable zoom. That is all you will need to record the experience and sights. You will enjoy your honeymoon a lot more by bringing less rather than more photographic equipment.
06-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
If you are enjoying your honeymoon properly you won't have much time to take pictures. I can think of better things you should be doing and thinking about when you wake up than walking away from your new wife to take photos; even amazing ones. Compromise and just take a compact with a reasonable zoom. That is all you will need to record the experience and sights. You will enjoy your honeymoon a lot more by bringing less rather than more photographic equipment.
I would agree. Panasonic LX7, Pentax MX-1, etc.

06-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would agree.
Add me to the list.
When I saw: tripod, DA*300mm ... too much big gear, esp for a honey-moon.
I'd replace tripod and DA*300 with a small flash, which will save space and weight, and be more useful indoors.
06-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I third this sentiment. You should be looking at your honey's moon on your honeymoon. Besides the more gear you have the more you have to worry about it. Take a small compact camera and enjoy your wife.
06-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I third this sentiment. You should be looking at your honey's moon on your honeymoon. Besides the more gear you have the more you have to worry about it. Take a small compact camera and enjoy your wife.
Look - this is what I would do also - but his solution may be perfectly acceptable to the gal in question - she wants to sleep in and this keeps him happy - win win.
06-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Look - this is what I would do also - but his solution may be perfectly acceptable to the gal in question - she wants to sleep in and this keeps him happy - win win.
True that.
06-07-2016, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

There's a happy medium somewhere in between - he can enjoy his passion of photography while being mindful of advice to not go to far with it - but being told to just drop those plans right before the trip is probably unwelcome advice. Let's not pretend to know the particulars of their relationship.
06-07-2016, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you.

I appreciate all the comments about taking a small camera and a zoom/ enjoying the honey"moon"...
But in reality, the K-3ii is the only camera I own.
And my soon-to-be wife would actually prefer me going to shoot in the morning.

We've lived together for 3 years already and it's kind of our routine anyways. She likes to sleep in until 9 or 10am. I'm up at 4:30 or 5am regardless.
So that gives me 4 hours to shoot at first light while she enjoys her peaceful tropical mornings and I can get home before she even wakes up and prepare breakfast. She wouldn't even know if I left or had stayed in bed...

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Add me to the list.
When I saw: tripod, DA*300mm ... too much big gear, esp for a honey-moon.
I'd replace tripod and DA*300 with a small flash, which will save space and weight, and be more useful indoors.
Don't own a flash.
If I can't get the shot in natural light, I don't shoot it at all!

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 08:08 AM ----------

We've talked about our trip and what we want to do together.
Our wedding gifts to each other are a planned day where the other knows nothing about it from sunrise to sunset.

I have a full-day planned with her where the camera stays at home (unless she wants me to bring it...)

I wish I had a compact camera with a zoom.
K-3ii is the only camera I own, beside a phone.
And the three lenses are the only ones I own.

Figured, why leave one of my three lenses at home and be bummed when an opportunity came up wishing I had it with me?

She's completely on board with the camera gear coming along.
In fact, last time we visited this island I took shots from a GoPro and they're framed in our apartment. Shes the one who asked me to get a DA15limited to replicate those same shots and replace our frames when we return!
06-07-2016, 05:29 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

News to me.

06-07-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you.

I appreciate all the comments about taking a small camera and a zoom/ enjoying the honey"moon"...
But in reality, the K-3ii is the only camera I own.
And my soon-to-be wife would actually prefer me going to shoot in the morning.

We've lived together for 3 years already and it's kind of our routine anyways. She likes to sleep in until 9 or 10am. I'm up at 4:30 or 5am regardless.
So that gives me 4 hours to shoot at first light while she enjoys her peaceful tropical mornings and I can get home before she even wakes up and prepare breakfast. She wouldn't even know if I left or had stayed in bed...

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 08:05 AM ----------

Don't own a flash.
If I can't get the shot in natural light, I don't shoot it at all!

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 08:08 AM ----------

We've talked about our trip and what we want to do together.
Our wedding gifts to each other are a planned day where the other knows nothing about it from sunrise to sunset.

I have a full-day planned with her where the camera stays at home (unless she wants me to bring it...)

I wish I had a compact camera with a zoom.
K-3ii is the only camera I own, beside a phone.
And the three lenses are the only ones I own.

Figured, why leave one of my three lenses at home and be bummed when an opportunity came up wishing I had it with me?

She's completely on board with the camera gear coming along.
In fact, last time we visited this island I took shots from a GoPro and they're framed in our apartment. Shes the one who asked me to get a DA15limited to replicate those same shots and replace our frames when we return!
Enjoy the trip and cherish her, she is a keeper!