Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you store your camera with strap?

What you do with strap when storing camera? Storing with strap is clumsy and also have a danger of strap attracting moisture. But removing and attaching normal strap is even more clumsy.

Just wondering.

06-10-2016, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Strap? What strap?

Mine is never attached...
06-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Storing? What storing?
Mine is never put away...

I do however have cupboard for the purpose of keeping my camera kit if I ever need it, which has a few large silica gel sachets scattered around - maybe use these to attract moisture if that's the main worry? They're cheap in bulk...just change them every now and then.
06-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fold mine into a shorter length and put a twister tie around it to confine its length. I use a twister tie from an empty bread bag. Then I put my camera/lens in a plastic bag and then place it in a sealed plastic container (handles flip lock).

06-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If I'm carrying my camera bag around with me, I tend to leave my OP/TECH Pro strap on the camera so it's ready to use at short notice... the neck part is squishy foam, so it's easy enough to fold / roll into a small space. I take it off if I'm putting the camera back into one of my hard cases, partly because it fits better but also because I mainly use the hard cases for organised static storage. I also have a BlackRapid "Curve" (RS-7) sling, the connector for which screws into the tripod socket on the base of the camera or lens foot. I never leave that on a camera either in the bag or case, but will roll it up and carry it in one of the bag compartments if I think I'll need it...

I do keep several fresh silica gel bags in both my camera bag and cases to keep the moisture levels down, and I change these every few months (probably not as often as I should, though!)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-10-2016 at 08:08 AM.
06-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Don't worry about the strap "attracting" moisture. Your camera will be as wet as the surrounding air, with or without a strap. If you have the camera out in the rain, let the camera and strap dry somewhere with good airflow before you put it away.

If your weather is frequently humid then your camera and lenses should be stored in an airtight box with some sort of dehumidifier. Look for a desiccant pack that can be recharged in an oven, or a more expensive dry box with built in dehumidifier.
06-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Storing? What storing?
Ha! Ha! Same here.

Well, not quite. The truth is that the cameras not in "the bag" live on shelves with their straps set behind with plenty of air circulation. Our climate, while hardly dry, is not prone to condensation (dew point is generally below room temperature). As a result, fabrics do not attract moisture and even the canvas straps I use remain dry and free of mold/mildew.

As for tangling and snagging...yes, there is some risk, but I generally lift the camera by the body, taking care of where the strap lies and when putting things in the bag, take care that the strap is stowed cleanly.

Steve

(...btw...I am very fond of the the Domke "Gripper" strap: Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK B&H )

06-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! Same here.

Well, not quite. The truth is that the cameras not in "the bag" live on shelves with their straps set behind with plenty of air circulation. Our climate, while hardly dry, is not prone to condensation (dew point is generally below room temperature). As a result, fabrics do not attract moisture and even the canvas straps I use remain dry and free of mold/mildew.

As for tangling and snagging...yes, there is some risk, but I generally lift the camera by the body, taking care of where the strap lies and when putting things in the bag, take care that the strap is stowed cleanly.

Steve

(...btw...I am very fond of the the Domke "Gripper" strap: Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK B&H )
Same deal here with the Domke strap. Does not get affected by the weather conditions here in Pennsylvania.

I never take the strap off, Keep it short for shoulder carry and sometimes wrap it around one hand for shooting/carrying. Never around the neck.

Eric
06-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Storing? What storing?
Mine is never put away...
Many of us are gear junkies, too many cameras and too little time use all of them so some have to be stored till their turn.

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew:
... maybe use these to attract moisture if that's the main worry? They're cheap in bulk...just change them every now and then.
No, I am not worried about straps worried about the moisture they carry along when stored.
06-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

I usually always have a camera bag with me when I go out shooting and just fold up the straps into one of the spare lens compartments in the bag. I also usually have one of those silica packs in my bags as well.
06-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Only time I take the strap off is when it's on a tripod or if I'm storing it for travel. Otherwise, strap stays on it.
06-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
No, I am not worried about straps worried about the moisture they carry along when stored.
The bad news is that the moisture in and on the camera is in equilibrium with the air, which is in equilibrium with the strap. If you are concerned, use a strap with clips and remove it for storage. If you are super concerned, launder the strap to remove salts from sweat (should help with moisture retention) and hang it with your belts. Other alternative...use a non-fabric strap.

Steve
06-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never had the strap off. I just fold it up before putting it in the photo bag. In the tripod I just let it hang or give it a swirl around the lens to keep it from swinging in the wind.
06-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Strap? If you want to grapple your camera by object around you, and have a chance to drop your camera, keep your strap on your camera. I did it , and after the second stumble, I put the strap somewhere, very far away, in a bag, to be sure that it will never hamper me again.
06-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

moisture? what's that? we have 15%-25% RH throughout the year, so moisture is no issue.
My strap snaps off, so i almost never leave it on the camera anyway.