Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you buy the size of polarising filter to match your largest lens, you can buy step up rings to match them to lenses with slightly smaller threads. That being said, the filter thread sizes of the 18-135 and the other two you mention are quite markedly different. IIRC the 35's (both the plastic and the macro) have 49mm filter threads, the DA50 a 52mm thread. So you would get the 52mm polarising filter. plus a 49-52mm step up filter very cheaply on Amazon or E-bay if your camera store didn't sell them, and you would be set for both primes. This would apply for any filter you chose to buy (I've heard a yellow filter recommended for general use for B&W, but I don't use one myself and cannot advise from experience, only hearsay).

There are, it is true, sets of step-up or step-down rings you can buy that would enable you to use a 62mm filter (for the 18-135) on the smaller cameras, but I think you'd need more than one adapter ring, and the size differential could make things awkward.
I've taken your advice and acquired a step-up ring for my 35mm and 50mm. I've not gone down the route of the 18-135mm route.
Thanks so much for your advice.

06-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're welcome. Let me know how it turns out for you.