Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 01:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Flash hotshoe adapter: Canon to Pentax

Is there manufracture of Canon to Pentax flash hotshoe adapter? I want to try out some Canon flashguns on my K5...

06-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No adapter needed, they fit and will in fact work in manual mode.

06-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I assume you'd like some kind of adapter to be able to use all TTL features, auto zoom, and such?

Problem is Pentax and Canon flashes don't speak the same digital language. But maybe the clever guys at Metabones could make a circuit to do the translation and get everything to work. It likely wouldn't be cheap and would make the OEM Pentax flash the more attractive proposition.

Then again, stacking an adapter between a flash and a camera makes for a rickety setup. Minolta had such adapters when they brought out the "twin rail" flash shoe so older flashes could go on newer cameras and vice versa. They weren't that popular.
06-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No adapter needed, they fit and will in fact work in manual mode.
I will have to check more into this. When I got rid of my Canon gear I kept the Sigma flash in case I got a wireless flash for my Pentax. I got the Metz 50 AF-1 for use with the Pentax. I finally got a wireless flash setup which works perfectly with the Metz. I tried the Canon Sigma unit on the receiver and could not get it to work. I never tried the Sigma flash directly to the hot shoe of the Pentax for fear of ruining my Pentax. I just figured Canon & Pentax were not compatible. All of the wireless receivers work with the Metz. Is there something else to do to get the Sigma to fire with the receivers?

06-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
All of the wireless receivers work with the Metz. Is there something else to do to get the Sigma to fire with the receivers?

Well, the Sigma has to be in manual mode, not E-TTL.
06-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I finally got a wireless flash setup which works perfectly with the Metz.
What is your wireless flash setup? It's not impossible that some of the pins are trying to talk to one another and causing confusion with the receiver. A possible solution is to use electrical tape to cover all pins on the hot shoes except the centre and the two side contacts (the same ones used to test the trigger voltage Checking trigger voltage | DPanswers), these are all that are needed for the "fire" signal to function.

I've used several nikon flashes on my pentax (and wireless receivers compatible with my pentax) with no issues. Check the voltages of the flashes if they're older units. And no fancy ttl or p/e/n-ttl as clackers has mentioned. Models with an auto-thyristor can also work great from the cameras hotshoe for semi-auto exposure.