Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

pentax af 540 vs 2x pentax af 360?

Hey

The title is pretty self explanatory.
I'm looking to buy a flash and was wondering what would be the best option out of 1 af 540 or 2 af 360. I do a wide mix of photography and will most likely be using the wireless function a lot. I'm not sure how much I'll be using the bounce. I'd like to but I'm not sure if I'll NEED it or not...
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Tom

07-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends what other equipment you have.
Are you looking to do indoor flash shoots and already have umbrella reflectors on stands?
If so, you'll find the 2 360s might suffice just fine.

One directed into an umbrella, and the other on the camera for a rembrandt effect; or both on umbrellas and firing them off with the pop-up flash. EDIT: come to think of it, I'm not sure how good the wireless function would work if the sensor faces the umbrella, as you would be forced to do with the 360s. I have a 540 and have the sensor pointing forward while the flash points back into the umbrella.

Otherwise, if you're looking for a flash to stay on the hotshoe and use it to bounce indoors, then the 540 is probably the way to go - more powerful (important for bouncing) and versatile (swivel is crucial for bounced flash work).

Please take this with a grain of salt, though - I'm not pro in this biz but just talking from my own experience...
07-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No, won't be doing indoor shoots with reflectors. More likely on the fly sports photography/ still life/ portraits of random people as I'm out and about or biking/climbing/etc.
I
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think that a pair of 360's on a wide bracket would be an awesome set up.

07-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

AF500Z Auto Zoom Swivel Flash

Hi,
I just joined the form this morning primarily to offer some equipment for sale. I've been a Pentax user, although not exclusively, since the 645 was introduced. Anyway, I have a Pentax AF500Z Auto Zoom Swivel Flash that I purchased in March 2008 from B&H for sale. I've used it 3 times, comes with the original sales receipt, case, instructions, in the original box. Here, I think I have a photo of it...yes I attached 2 images for your consideration. I paid $199.95 + shipping. I would like to get $160 and I will include a Lumiquest Pro Bounce with the silver/gold inserts ($29.95 value) with it for Free.
I will be posting in another area for the gear with photos that I'm offfering....don't know much about forum posting so I might not get my offering in the right place. If I don't I hope everyone will be understanding...I'm a newbie to this type of thing.
Here's what I have Pentax K10D Kit w/18-55mm SMD auto Lens, verticle shooting grip with spare battery, (kit comes with battery charger ,cables,owners manual, in original boxes. Includes original receipts on everything from B&H. Pentax SMD 50-200mm telephoto lens, & Pentax AF500Z as I previously mentioned. All of this was purchased in Feb/early March 2008 and is in like new out of the box condition...each piece functions perfectly. If you like you can call me on my cell at 928.231.9294 Leigh.
Ok, that's what I have for a flash..hope it suits your requirements.
Best Regards & God Bless,
Leigh
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
CYBERSHOT  Photo 
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah yes, Leigh - welcome to the forum. I noticed your stuff on Ebay and was thinking about the flash but the shipping was $100.07 the lens was $165.98 and I ain't kidding.
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

once you go swirl, you never go back.

that feature alone is worth the upgrade.

07-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi JC,
Thanks for the welcome...Don't know why you saw those figures on EBay. I certainly didn't input them like that. Could be that I didn't do it right since I had never used Ebay previously. At any rate I have my gear listed in the Marketplace if you are interested. I've re-checked all the prices and they are correct. I'm looking to move them so I'll consider any/all resonable offers. Thanks again for your input. Sorry about the Ebay listing...no wonder no one bid. I wouldn't either.
Leigh
xlntimages