Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Battery cross compatibility - Pentax D-LI90 and Panasonic BLF19

I might be flying close to the sun here, but I notice that the Panasonic BLF19 (BLF19PP) and the D-LI90 ( like for the K-5 ) are essentially the same battery!

The contacts are the same +,T,-, except the Panasonic one gets a 4th contact marked (D).
The Pentax FACTORY D-LI90 has that 4th contact blocked off!

Both are 7.2V and 1860 mAh and it worked good in my factory battery grip of my K-5 (OG).

However, the charger locking slots found on the bottom/sides are different, and thus the batteries require different charging docks UNLESS you extend out the panasonic locking slot.
In the side pictures, the panasonic is the one that is on the left, and you can see the slots are significantly shorter.

You could also use the panasonic charger if you grind down the second locking nub ( the one furthest from the electrical contacts ) on the charger.
However I haven't modified either of my batteries or charger, so I can't say for certain yet.

Last edited by shootfreeordiehard; 07-16-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Update found non-compatibility with each other's chargers, and Steve's comment re: K10d
07-16-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shootfreeordiehard Quote
I might be flying close to the sun here, but I notice that the Panasonic BLF19 (BLF19PP) and the D-LI90 ( like for K-10D and K-5 ) are essentially the same battery!
You may be flying close to the sun, but since you already use the BLF19 in your K-5 grip, you are now the official test user. Please inform us of any fires/explosions or if you brick the camera. (Just joking )

BTW...for accuracy's sake, the K10D uses a D-LI50 battery. The D-LI90 was first used in the K-7.

Steve
07-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by shootfreeordiehard Quote
The Pentax FACTORY D-LI90 has that 4th contact blocked off!
The current D-Li90E does have the 4th contact. So you might be right, could be the same battery vendor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The current D-Li90E does have the 4th contact. So you might be right, could be the same battery vendor.
D-LI90E?? What is that?

07-16-2016, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
D-LI90E?? What is that?
My guess is that it's an "enhanced" version of the original D-Li90, launched around the time of the K-5 II to conform to the latest health & safety standards. It ships will all current Pentax bodies but is still labeled D-Li90 (no E).

But I was wrong, even that version of the battery has the 4th contact covered.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-08-2018, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Great find!

Looks like great chargers could be used for Pentax:
Hähnel PROCUBE2 - 3D printed adapter for Pentax D-Li90 - PentaxForums.com

USB-Charger for BLF19 from Panasonic:
DMW-BTC13 LUMIX Camera Batteries - Panasonic UK & Ireland
DMW-BTC13EB Battery Charger- Panasonic Direct

Here are some identical pictures shot with the same perspective of the D-LI90 and BLF19:
D-LI90 front
BLF19 front

D-LI90 side
BLF19 side

Last edited by angerdan; 12-08-2018 at 11:56 AM.
01-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Tried the Panasonic battery in my Pentax cameras, can't lock into the housing and the extra flange at the terminal side won't allow it to go in far enough to close the battery door - but if you hold it in, the cameras power up and shoot fine. File that flange off and it would be fine. Next, I put the Pentax battery in the Panasonic G9 - this time it did lock and the battery door closes fine. It powers up and shoots fine, my only concern is - what exactly does that extra terminal do? It doesn't appear to be critical, whatever it is.

01-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It is likely the D-LI90 just contains two type 18500 batteries like this 3rd party copy: http://h2097500.stratoserver.net/forumimages/2019/1681/1681_2019010542_bater...psa504f47d.jpg

Lithium ion batteries usually first have two contacts for plus and minus.
The third contact often is a thermo resistor as a safety measure.
More contacts usually are for more advanced protection mechanisms.

There are many cases where cheap 3rd party copy batteries seem to have contacts for thermo resistors or other protection mechanisms but actually are "blind" with nothing behind them.
Unless you open them or have the capability and knowledge to check them this is a health risk.
I do stay away from 3rd party batteries.
12-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any more news? I am thinking of getting a Lumix G9. I must have 20 of these Pentax batteries and if they work would be great news.
02-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
Any more news? I am thinking of getting a Lumix G9. I must have 20 of these Pentax batteries and if they work would be great news.
I'm using both brands interchangeably. I found the issue with the Panasonic battery in the Pentax body, there's an extra ridge in the battery compartment alongside the contacts - so I cut a small "V" shape in the Pana battery to accommodate it, works just fine. Makes life easier being able to use both batteries on all my cameras. I haven't tried charging a Pentax battery in the G9 camera body, without the extra contact I'm not sure if that's wise. The Pentax batteries also work great in the G9 battery grip.
02-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Darrell Raw Quote
I'm using both brands interchangeably. I found the issue with the Panasonic battery in the Pentax body, there's an extra ridge in the battery compartment alongside the contacts - so I cut a small "V" shape in the Pana battery to accommodate it, works just fine. Makes life easier being able to use both batteries on all my cameras. I haven't tried charging a Pentax battery in the G9 camera body, without the extra contact I'm not sure if that's wise. The Pentax batteries also work great in the G9 battery grip.
Great news, thanks.
06-06-2021, 05:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Have anyone tried this charger made for Panasonic with D-Li90?
The Panasonic BLF19 battery has the same dimensions and contacts in the same place as D-Li90.
It seems nobody yet.

The idea for the Hähnel Procube 2 D-LI90 adapter was first published here:
Hähnel PROCUBE2 - 3D printed adapter for Pentax D-Li90 - PentaxForums.com
09-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #13
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Most expensive 3rd party battery

It costs almost as much as 3x compared to other brands. Pentax battery is impossible to find in my country and cheap 3rd party batteries just don't cut it.
I came across this brand - Zitay from China. If the cells are not fakes, they are supposed to be NCR18500A 2040mAh.
I have yet to test its real capacity. I will do it after a few cycles in the battery grip.

It fits the battery grip but not the camera body. I have an external USB charger for it but I can also charge it internally through the camera.
This is DMW-BLF19 for Lumix camera. There isn't a Pentax version. Both share the same dimensions but with different cutouts and slots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
09-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
cheap 3rd party batteries just don't cut it
I found a brand of third party D-LI90 as good as Pentax original model, used for one year, no problem so far.
09-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have used aftermarket batteries purchased from Amazon for all my cameras…more than I can count. Simply look at the reviews and return policy before buying. Never had a single one I had to return. I simply keep a couple of originals and then purchase a few after market ones