Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax lens styled coffee mug?

I know by now everyone has seen the coffee mug that looks like a Canon lens. Has anyone seen such a thing shaped like a Pentax lens?

I realize that the most famous Pentax lenses would be better suited for shot glasses than coffee mugs, and I doubt you could even get a tiny espresso in the 40mm pancake, but as long as they stayed well away from the styling mess that is most of the F line, it seems like there would be a couple of decent candidates for making into a mug...

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? And which lenses would work best as coffee-filled copies? Or a happy repository for a half-liter of something colder?

I'm thinking the new 24-70 might be a good choice... or the old 28-70 f2.8 (with hood)...

-Eric

07-16-2016, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd rather Pentax did there own thing though as I have nothing to suggest in that vein I'll suggest a lens or two.

To get a lens about the right size I'd pick the DA* 50-135mm. It's a great lens, it has history in the Pentax world, itwould acknowledge the strong APSC standing of Pentax and would make a big mug of coffee. The 16-50 would also work I guess, or if you're looking at the FF side of things the D-FA 28-105 is about the right size.

Of course a beter statement might be in form of the old Takumars or a K, M or A lens, but you'll have to wait for the aficionados of those lenses to chime in as I don't know enough to pick the best option there.

Still I'm already set myself.

Tas
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had several of these lens mugs gifted to me by friends over the years. Because the bottom is small (the same size as a rear lens cap), they are unstable when full and tend to tip over and spill. They don't fit well in a car cup-holder. The lids on all of them became loose and wouldn't stay on after a few dozen uses. I advise finding a coffee cup you really like and buying that instead of one of the lens mugs.
07-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bring back Marc Newson and the F line of lenses for this project

---------- Post added 07-17-16 at 02:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Of course a beter statement might be in form of the old Takumars or a K, M or A lens, but you'll have to wait for the aficionados of those lenses to chime in as I don't know enough to pick the best option there.
oooh I like the idea of that. For a 'medium' cuppa use the SMCTak85/1.8. A 'large cuppa use the SMCTak135/2.5. When an expresso is called for you cannot go past the sensual shape of the Takumar 58/2. What to do with the ATak 35/2.3 ?????

07-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You can always DIY ala DigitalRev

07-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hahahaha

I can hear the fireworks already. "Hey sugar [insert preferred term of endearment], can you please reheat my coffee in the microwave".
07-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax mugs are for sale at non-usa Pentax web stores. Not lens shaped but nice
07-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made a thread a whip back regarding the idea of Limited shot glasses out of 15mm and 35mm and 77mm

07-17-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

I just bought a canon lens cup. My logic goes as follows: Pentax is for shooting, Canon is only good enough to use as a cup
07-17-2016, 04:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I actually made the same request a couple of years ago. Short story: much talk - little action. I hope someone sees the business opportunity to make some much better looking lens cups then the Canon variants. I would like:

DFA 15-450 for a can of hot drink when cross country skiing
DA*200 or DA*60-250 for beer
FA*24 or DFA 15-30 for tea
FA31 for milk
DFA100mm macro WR for cafe latte
I'm not shure what Pentax lens suits cappuchino, so I have to suggest something else. A Tamron Adaptall-2 17mm with hood
DFA645 55 for whisky
Q93 fisheye for shots
For wine, maybe a one of those old flashes with a long grip/rod and a round reflector

Doble secure lids so I can carry them in my photo bag.
07-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
old Takumars or a K, M or A lens
I hope for you... that my "Ladies" don't see your thread about making them into coffee cups.

I trust your also fast on your feet, for when they come round to visit you.
07-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
No, and believe me, I looked!

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And which lenses would work best as coffee-filled copies? Or a happy repository for a half-liter of something colder?
16-85, 24-70, 18-270, 28-105 would work well, among the newest lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
they are unstable when full and tend to tip over and spill. They don't fit well in a car cup-holder.
I disagree. I have a Canon 24-105 fake and it works very well.

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
The lids on all of them became loose and wouldn't stay on after a few dozen uses.
Again, I disagree. I've been using mine for about 3 years and it's still pristine. But maybe that's because I use it for water or tea, not coffee.
07-18-2016, 05:55 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
hahahaha

I can hear the fireworks already. "Hey sugar [insert preferred term of endearment], can you please reheat my coffee in the microwave".
My husband ask me if I wanted more coffee,so he goes over to the table to get my lens cup and as he picks up the 'cup' I hear him say.... "Wait..that's a real lens."
07-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
My husband ask me if I wanted more coffee,so he goes over to the table to get my lens cup and as he picks up the 'cup' I hear him say.... "Wait..that's a real lens."
I was starting to think no one got my joke
07-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had several people gift me these cups. One has a lid that sits on top but does not screw down it isn't a coffee mug type lid. The other two cups are coffee mug types. (They are all from different companies.) one has a very tight lid, the other has a lid that is 'loose' but once the cup is filled with hot liquid the lid becomes tight and fits perfectly, it does not leak at all. All seem to be well balanced and don't tip. They all fit into the car cup holder.