Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
iPad as a Live View Screen

Is it possible in some way to use my iPad as a live view screen with my K-5iis?

My idea would be to use it when focusing on macros to help out my old eyes. Right now I focus using the camera screen which is small and has low resolution.

I don't need to "tether" - just use as the live view screen.

Is this possible? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Don

07-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AFAIK most tablets can't be used as monitors. What you need is a Field Monitor, to which you can run the camera's HDMI output.
07-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

When I looked at this a couple of yrs ago, my version of iPad (iPad2) was firmware restricted to HDMI out only. I vaguely seem to remember making it sort of work by mirroring HDMI output onto a desktop, but it was ugly and silly so I dropped it.
07-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think you'd really benefit from the focus peaking feature found on newer bodies. With a smartphone, you can also view live view with cameras that have built-in Wi-Fi.

Otherwise you'd need an external monitor with HDMI input. Note that the resolution of the output is the same as the native resolution of the LCD, which is roughly 640x480px.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With a smartphone, you can also view live view with cameras that have built-in Wi-Fi.
ImageSync also runs on iPads.

I've tried it with my K-1, works fine. One just has to choose the K-1's WiFi network in the iPad's settings. I didn't see a way to choose the correct WiFi network using ImageSync only (the latter works fine on Android).
07-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Otherwise you'd need an external monitor with HDMI input. Note that the resolution of the output is the same as the native resolution of the LCD, which is roughly 640x480px.
Oops! I think this sentence tells me all I need to know. It makes sense, but I guess I subconsciously repressed it hoping for magic.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Don
07-19-2016, 01:59 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
ImageSync also runs on iPads.

I've tried it with my K-1, works fine. One just has to choose the K-1's WiFi network in the iPad's settings. I didn't see a way to choose the correct WiFi network using ImageSync only (the latter works fine on Android).
It's quite buggy on android too. Your best bet thus seems to be to always use the device itself to connect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Oops! I think this sentence tells me all I need to know. It makes sense, but I guess I subconsciously repressed it hoping for magic.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Don
You're not the only one. It seems "in this day and age" we should be able to run full HD output to a device like an iPad and have apps to control everything. Even companies like Sony who make tablets and DSLRS haven't caught on yet, or perceived it as valuable enough to spend time and money on...