Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #1

Li 109 Batteries

I have a K-r. The batteries dont seem to hold a charge, is there a way to test them?

I also have seen replacement batteries on ebay for around $8-9. Anybody have any experince with cheaper batteries? Do they last as long?

Mike

Last edited by photolady95; 07-20-2016 at 05:32 AM.
07-20-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
not sure of an easy way to test them other then using them.

I think the general consensus is that the Pentax branded batteries seem to last the longest, but myself and others have had pretty good luck with the wasabi branded batteries.
07-20-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

I have been using Wasabi Brand as well for more than 2 years and they seem to be holding up pretty well and still going. I have used 2 Pentax Brand in those 2 years as well and those now reside in the bottom of my Garbage Pail. I'm using a k-30 and k-50...
07-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried some "Flashpoint" batteries with my K-20D years ago and they did not hold a substantial charge consistently. Ever since then I have bought only Pentax brand. I now have three of them, they are dependable, and they hold charges well. I use them with my K-5IIS and K-3II.

07-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just recently bought some Wasabi batteries and charger and they're fine in my K-50. No problems so far. And lots of other members use these batteries. In fact, it was on their recommendation that I bought the set below.

I bought mine from here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00598PMY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
07-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought two DSTE batteries for my K-r and they don't hold charge very well, I get less than 100 shots from them and they seem to hold charge less and less with time (I've had them for about 6 months, early on I could get about 200 shots).

The original Pentax batteries in my K-r and K-S1 seem to hold charge well, as do the ones I had for the K20D and now for the K10D. Original Pentax batteries are the way to go, at some point I'll get me some more...
07-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

I also have two DSTE batteries and have a more positive feedback, I get a bit more then half the shots comparing to the pentax for a quarter of the price. A good deal if don't mind changing batteries.

07-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Wasabi, DSTE, and OEM batteries, and experience no noticable difference in performance. Unless you get the occasional bad/damaged battery, I believe battery care and maintenance a greater factor than brand. But maybe I've just been lucky.
07-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's an older thread for more reading. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3-k-3-ii/311031-spare-batteries-post3479568.html

My DSTE batteries seem about the same as my original battery in my K-3. If you factor in cost, two generic batteries are still a better deal than an official battery even if they do have a slightly lower capacity. If you carry a bag to keep your camera in it's easy to throw in a spare. I also like knowing I have another battery in case I'm out shooting and realize the battery in my camera is deader than I thought.

Whatever you do, use the original OEM charger to keep your battery in good shape. Generic chargers use higher voltage that may impact longterm performance. (see the link above for more)
07-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your rolling the dice on Wasabi batteries in my opinion, i had one and it didn't have half the capacity although they claimed it had more than the Pentax battery that came with the camera did and after 1-1-1/2 years moderate use the battery swelled and got tight in the camera.Really i bought two of them, the first one and the last one.I bought a cheap AA battery adapter for my K-50 and use the 2500 mAh Amazon basic batteries and i'm very pleased with them, i get more than double the life of the Pentax battery out of this set up and with the adapter you always have the option to use regular AA batteries if the need should arise.
07-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Your rolling the dice on Wasabi batteries in my opinion, i had one and it didn't have half the capacity although they claimed it had more than the Pentax battery that came with the camera did and after 1-1-1/2 years moderate use the battery swelled and got tight in the camera.Really i bought two of them, the first one and the last one.I bought a cheap AA battery adapter for my K-50 and use the 2500 mAh Amazon basic batteries and i'm very pleased with them, i get more than double the life of the Pentax battery out of this set up and with the adapter you always have the option to use regular AA batteries if the need should arise.
After 1.5 years and your battery swelled, I would say that's a total loss. You got 1.5 years out of a set of batteries that weren't OEM.
Although, I do have to say I've had some glitches with the ones I bought last week. First thing I noticed was yesterday the camera showed the battery as almost depleted of power, but turning the camera off and back on, it showed as full. Today, after using the flash, it again showed as depleted, and turning camera on then off showed half battery power. If it keeps doing this, they're going back. They have a three year warranty on them and Amazon (where I bought them) allows me to return within 30 days.
07-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If someone wants a battery that is going to work for years, I would recommend the Pentax.
07-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I bought a cheap AA battery adapter for my K-50 and use the 2500 mAh Amazon basic batteries and i'm very pleased with them, i get more than double the life of the Pentax battery out of this set up and with the adapter you always have the option to use regular AA batteries if the need should arise.
+1

Much better than any Li109.
07-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #14

-1 For me on the AA option.
I have two sets of enloops, that work great on the metz flash and every thing else, but can hardly beat the original pentax and have a a less predictable discharge rate.
I've tried Auto and ni-mh settings, no improvements. Against common opinion, it doesn't work well for me. I'm now using the pentax and two DSTE.
07-27-2016, 04:28 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
I have two sets of enloops
That's Eneloops (not enloops) and I have four sets of four that I use in all my cameras. So far they've out shot the Wasabi batteries I bought two weeks ago. I got only 145 shots on the Wasabi before it depleted. With Eneloops I get over 400 shots.
With Eneloops, I think it depends on which ones you buy. I bought the original with the white label and they're 1900mAh's.