Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

Silicone cover for camera body

I wonder if any companies sell silicone cover for Pentax K-1 body.

07-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I haven't seen any for Pentax bodies since the K10D was in production. A company called Camera Armor made those.
07-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
The problem with silicone covers for products - be they cameras, phones, tablets, whatever - is that moisture, dirt and grit has a habit of working its way inside, and sitting between the cover and the product where it gradually causes corrosion, scratching etc.

I'm an on/off ham radio enthusiast, and some years ago I had a very nice hand-held radio scanner that I put in a protective cover like this. I took the unit everywhere with me - to the beach, on walks in the country, around town and occasionally out in the rain (just light showers, nothing heavy). About a year later, I decided to sell that radio, so I removed the cover to take some photos of it. Inside the cover were grains of sand or grit that had scratched the radio's plastic casing, and the screws holding it together had slight rust on them. The radio would have been in better condition if I hadn't put it in the "protective" cover. I've seen the same thing on a number of friends' smartphones (well, the scratching - maybe not corrosion).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-28-2016 at 04:53 AM.
07-28-2016, 03:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are Camera Armour threads elsewhere in this forum. I had one for the K20. Sloppy fit and grit gets under as described above - also hampers the controls and switches and doesn't accommodate the vertical grip. Perhaps that's why they are no longer seen for sale as much - poor customer feedback.

07-28-2016, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The problem with silicone covers for products - be they cameras, phones, tablets, whatever - is that moisture, dirt and grit has a habit of working its way inside, and sitting between the cover and the product where it gradually causes corrosion, scratching etc.
I definitely agree. I use a dual layer silicone / plastic shell case on my phone and I have to take it off once a month to clean pocket point and slight grit out. I can also see slight rubbing wear marks on the phone. I still use cases on my phone but only because they add enough shock absorption to keep the display/touchscreen from shattering if it falls on the corner. For something as heavy as a DSLR I doubt it would do any good.

I would definitely recommend at least a plastic or tempered glass protector for the display though. I wipe away nose and makeup smudges quite often using my shirt, so it's nice to not worry about scratching the display with a grain of sand, etc.