Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Tripod head

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
Just looking for some advice on a new tripod head please.

I've a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AP Tripod Kit, I'm happy with the tripod part but not so much with the head. I like the 3 way pan/tilt head action but I have a job to set position and then tighten without it moving. Also when using with a big lens at an angle off level then it tends to creep and then the whole positioning problem starts again.

I have a K3II and mainly use the tripod for Pentax 150-400mm DFA lens where the main creeping issue occurs but also do a little macro with it too.

So I was thinking a geared head could stop the creep problem and be similar in operation than my current head.

I've read a few reviews and I've come up with geared Manfrotto options - Junior, XPRO or 405. Just thinking, I presume one of these will fit perhaps with a screw adaptor (I'd better double check).

My thought is XPRO over the Junior as it has the quick unlock feature for ease of large movements. Reviews do say that it can tend to be a bit jumpy into the gearing though. 405 seems to have more accurate and smooth gearing and although around twice the price, I'd rather pay a bit more now to get one I will keep for a while.

I'm not sure what else might be available, others I've looked at are really a bit too expensive.

Appreciate any thoughts and input.

Thanks
Liz

Last edited by Lize; 07-31-2016 at 08:36 PM.
07-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd consider a good ballhead over a pan/tilt or a geared head myself. For less than $400 you can get a RRS BH-55 and it will never creep when you lock it down, at least with the gear you're talking about. I use it with a FA 250-600, which weighs quite a bit more than your kit. You could probably get away with a BH-40 for a bit less. I never cared for bullheads till I got a good one. Now the BH-55 and a gimbal for birding is all I use.

Last edited by jrpower10; 08-01-2016 at 07:23 AM.
07-31-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lize Quote
I'm not sure what else might be available, others I've looked at are really a bit too expensive.

Hi Lize. We need a budget figure from you so we know what to recommend.
07-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite is the Manfrotto 468MG-RC2. Until I got it, I hated all tripod heads.

07-31-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Liz,

I have a Manfrotto 029 and a Manfrotto 229. The 029 is on a Manfrotto 075 tripod and the 229 is on Gitzo GT 3531 tripod.
They are both three way pan and tilt heads with the 229 a later version of the 029
Once locked down I have no problem with any sort of creep.

Regards.
07-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello Liz. The tripod head I'm now using most of the time is Manfrotto's MH055M8-Q5. It's not cheap - here in the UK the best price is a shade under £200 (though I bought mine used for considerably less) but it's well worth it in my opinion. Very flexible in the ways it can be used, and absolutely rock solid when locked into position. It's not a geared head, but it does use fluid dampening and is smooth in operation.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-31-2016 at 11:53 PM.
07-31-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if this is over your budget

Well I'm a fan of geared heads and you don't get creep on a geared head therefore I expect you will not have issues with any of the geared Manfrotto options you've identified.

I've been using the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head for about four years or so and if stability and security are important to you I highly recommend one. There's some reviews on the 410 Junior in the forums, including mine, they can be found here: Manfroto Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database You've probably already seen them but if not it saves me writing mine again here.

The most relevant difference between the three other than price is what weight they are able to hold. The XPRO is rated to 4kg which is enough for the 150-450/K3II combo. The 410 Junior gets you 5kg and the 405 is rated to 7.5kg. Personally I see better value for money with the XPRO and 410 Junior and would suggest if larger kit (eg a K-1) is a possibility down the track then the XPRO might become limiting.

Something to remember too is geared heads are not as light as ball heads so add to the weight you carry and have on the tripod.

That's my 2c, oh you mention a quick unlock feature on the XPRO, it also exists on the 410 Junior and in looking at the description of the 405 on the B&H website it also has this feature.

Good luck with the decision Liz.

Regards,

Tas

08-01-2016, 01:57 AM   #8

Keep away from the xpro. I had one but was unstable in the wind with a 60-250 mounted. The 410 is rock solid but a bit slow to adjust. Not a problem if you're not trying to get a quick shot. Quick release works well here tho. Now also got a ball head with the same quick release plate. Also rock solid but not so good for fine adjustment. Got both at good sale prices so I was a bit lucky. Good luck with your choice. The ball head is the 468mgrc4. Both manfrotto heads btw.

Last edited by geoffw; 08-01-2016 at 10:32 AM.
08-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 410 Junior and simply put: it's awesome... no wiggling, no sag with a big lens on the K-3 (K300, A400)...

it just does the job...
08-01-2016, 02:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Keep away from the xpro. I had one but was unstable in the wind with a 60-250 mounted. The 410 is rock solid but a bit slow to adjust. Not a problem if you're not trying to get a quick shot. Quick release works well here tho. Now also got a ball head with the same quick release plate. Also rock solid but not so good for fine adjustment. Got both at good sale prices so I was a bit lucky. Good luck with your choice. The ball head is the 468mgrc4. Both manfrotto heads btw.
Thanks for the replies, very useful information.

I haven't really set a budget but was looking for something at the lower/middle pricing bracket although there is always the danger of "...this model is only a bit more expensive". I guess I'd be happy to pay around £300 or $400.

I'm not particularly worried about weight of the head as I don't often take it too far from the car or walk round with it all day, just as long as it doesn't overload the tripod.

I too thought the Junior seemed better than the XPRO as it rather conversely promises to hold more weight.

I have perhaps underestimated a fluid ball head and had anticipated a similar creeping problem, now back to considering those too!

Thanks
Liz
08-01-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In which case, Liz, I'd definitely include the Manfrotto MH055M8-Q5 in your comparisons. The K-3 + grip + DA*60-250 + HD DA1.4x mounts on it with absolute stability; so too my Hasselblad HV (a heavier version of the full-frame Sony A99) + grip + Tamron 150-600 (which is a fairly big lens - not dissimilar to the DFA150-400). The counterbalancing mechanism in the head ensures the camera can't topple forwards or backwards quickly, and with the elevation locked there is absolutely zero creep - it's solid as can be. Everything about it is very smooth - if I were to criticise just one thing about it, it's that the panning isn't fluid damped - it's smooth enough, but friction only, so if video were important to you, there are better choices. I do still have a Giottos ball head that I use on occasion, but 90% of the time I use this Manfrotto. Certainly worth a look

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-01-2016 at 06:11 AM.
08-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will surely get more recommendations for a tripod head than there are heads available. Here are several thoughts and recommendations.
1) I have the smaller Manfrotto geared head. It is, for me, FAR too bulky & heavy to use in the field. It has been consigned to my studio (=the basement)

2) Two very strong ball heads with excellent progressive friction locking:
A) Sirui K-20X, rated @ 55lb, $128 (@ B&H, all prices cited from this store)
B) Sirui K-40X rated @ 77lb (!!) $166 DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE BARGAIN PRICES OF THESE BALL HEADS - - THEY ARE EXCELLENT

3) a few pan-tilt heads:
A) Manfrotto MHXPRO 3W, rated at 17.6lb, $150
B) Slik SH 807E, rated at 22lb, $130 (requires a special order)
C) Slik SH 736H rated at 11lb, $70.

In addition to the Manfrotto geared head, I own a Sirui K-40X which is massive and very strong, and also a Slik SH 736H which I like exceptionally well because it has separate fluid tension controls for both pan and tilt (but not for right-left leveling). I find the fluid resistance on this little pan-tilt head extremely useful for precise alignment, and far more user-friendly than my much older, and significantly more expensive Gitzo Rationale pan-tilt head.

Something I do not like about all Manfrotto and Slik heads: they come with a proprietary quick-release system, so you must purchase and mount an Arca-Swiss type clamp if you use the latter system. The Sirui heads come with an Arca-Swiss type clamp that has an especially well-designed safety catch.
08-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have the Sirui KX30 and it holds my K-1 and DFA 150-450 easey peasey.... all you need! (the 20 would do)

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-01-2016 at 06:07 AM.
08-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

No one has mentioned the Kirk ball head. They were the professional's choice before the RRS ball head became available. I have had mine forever and never a problem, will handle the 150-450 sized lenses with no creep.
08-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If you're using a long lens, a gimble had works great. Once the lens and camera are balanced on the head, and centered, they do not creep, Because they are always balanced no matter what position you place them in. They have an additional advantage, you can leave the adjustments slightly tight, And position the camera/lens the way you want without it moving. In many cases you do not have to tighten anything but it is advisable. The only disadvantage is that a gimble will have a limited amount of vertical rotation. You won't be able to position the camera straight up or straight down unless you put a angle bracket on the gimble head. (this is something you may have to make yourself). An angle bracket is placed between the gimble head and the tripod tilting the gimble head approximately 45°. This will allow you to position the camera vertically and horizontally, Mainly for astrophotography. it is not needed for general Wildlife photography.

good luck selecting a new head.