Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
2) Two very strong ball heads with excellent progressive friction locking:
A) Sirui K-20X, rated @ 55lb, $128 (@ B&H, all prices cited from this store)
B) Sirui K-40X rated @ 77lb (!!) $166 DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE BARGAIN PRICES OF THESE BALL HEADS - - THEY ARE EXCELLENT
I own the Sirui K-40X. It is a serious piece of equipment. In my opinion you can pay twice as much and get half as much.

08-01-2016, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Hi Liz,

Excuse me if I'm telling you something that you already know, but any head will be infinitely easier to position and hold if you can balance the camera/lens on the head. This is most easily done by using an Arca Swiss compatible clamp and a suitable plate for your camera or lens. It's possible that the heads you already have might be at least adequate if you can balance the load, but better quality heads usually offer quicker and easier adjustments as well as better construction and more positive locking.

I always seek to balance my camera/lens on any tripod head I'm using, which include ball heads and gimbals.

Scott
08-02-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Liz,

Excuse me if I'm telling you something that you already know, but any head will be infinitely easier to position and hold if you can balance the camera/lens on the head. This is most easily done by using an Arca Swiss compatible clamp and a suitable plate for your camera or lens. It's possible that the heads you already have might be at least adequate if you can balance the load, but better quality heads usually offer quicker and easier adjustments as well as better construction and more positive locking.

I always seek to balance my camera/lens on any tripod head I'm using, which include ball heads and gimbals.

Scott
Thanks everyone.

Just thought I'd let you know that I have ended up ordering the 410 Junior as this seemed best value for money for what I'm looking for. Although not lugging it around I think the 405 would have been too big and heavy and I don't think I would have benefited from the more than double price. After a few internet searches I found Harrison Cameras had one in stock for £119 which I thought was a fair price, not a company I have used before but they despatched the same afternoon as I ordered so look to be on the ball.

A good ball head as a few recommended would have worked but I'm keen on the geared sort to allow easier fine adjustment.

I agree entirely with the balancing recommendations, I've been positioning as best I can on plate/lens mounting points and whilst its not bad, it is a little front heavy which is why it has the tendency to creep when pointed up at the sky. I will look for a more balanced mounting arrangement and use my head on an old but very sturdy car window mount I have, so it will be useful to have the two heads.

Hopefully I've made a good choice!

Thanks everyone.
Liz
08-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lize Quote
Just thought I'd let you know that I have ended up ordering the 410 Junior as this seemed best value for money for what I'm looking for.
I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's a good choice. Let us know how you get on with it?

08-03-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
Hello, its arrived by DPD this afternoon :-)

Have only had chance to pop it on the tripod and have a quick go, initial thoughts are that it seems well made and I'm very pleased.

It seems quite heavy on the tripod but not dangerous or unsteady but I think I might perhaps attach a weight or something on the hook on the tripod to make it feel safer. A better/heavier tripod may feel more balanced as I am pushing the weight limit of mine.

There's no chance of creep at any angle, so it will achieve what I bought it for. I can't detect any play or wobble in the head - my slightly flimsy tripod is the only part that moves!

As a couple of the reviews noted, its best to ensure the unlocked free turn adjustment finds a gear to avoid it jumping but something I will probably only encounter this initial once or twice as I seem to have the hang of that now.

The fine adjustment is really easy and smooth and definitely an aspect I will find pleasing and very helpful, I'll be able to concentrate on whats in shot rather than fighting with the head. Also although not something I generally do, I think at a push I could probably hold open the free turn knob and use it for panning.

My other head allowed nearly 90 degree upward angle and this one as expected is probably going to be a little limiting at 30. Swapping the plate direction though solves this and the knobs are still accessible which once set up I won't be altering during shooting. Position on tripod looks a little alarming like this but it is steady and in no worse a position than when setting to 90 portrait.

This brings me onto the mount/plate, its metal and has a bigger footprint which is better than my plastic one. The release operates in much the same way but at the minute I find it a little fiddly. I do tend to be cautious when handling the big lens and no doubt I'll soon get used to it. What may be a bit of a pain though is that the plate it is non reversible you have to loosen it and turn it round on the camera/lens then tighten again rather than just releasing and swapping the kits direction.

I leave the plate on the big lens but now I'll need to slacken the plate and rotate it if I want the knobs on the head facing me. Admittedly this swapping would be on different days at set up depending on subject rather than mid shoot but I feel this could get a bit annoying, I'll change the screw for one with a loop for finger tightening rather than having to dig in my pocket for coin or penknife.

Hoping the evening remains clear, Mars and Saturn visible tonight after dusk so I'm hoping to have a go at that but likely too far away so I may try some stars instead.

Cheers
Liz
08-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Liz - glad to hear the tripod head arrived (that was quick!), and thanks for letting us know how you're getting on with it - it's useful for any other members who may be considering something similar

Re the plate, once you get into the better tripod heads, most use a rectangular plates - usually with some form of directional latching mechanism. In practice it's a much more secure arrangement, though I can understand why you might feel it's a little less convenient...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-03-2016 at 12:14 PM.
08-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #22
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bravo

I love my 410 Jr!

08-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lize Quote
Thanks everyone.

Just thought I'd let you know that I have ended up ordering the 410 Junior as this seemed best value for money for what I'm looking for. Although not lugging it around I think the 405 would have been too big and heavy and I don't think I would have benefited from the more than double price. After a few internet searches I found Harrison Cameras had one in stock for £119 which I thought was a fair price, not a company I have used before but they despatched the same afternoon as I ordered so look to be on the ball.

A good ball head as a few recommended would have worked but I'm keen on the geared sort to allow easier fine adjustment.

I agree entirely with the balancing recommendations, I've been positioning as best I can on plate/lens mounting points and whilst its not bad, it is a little front heavy which is why it has the tendency to creep when pointed up at the sky. I will look for a more balanced mounting arrangement and use my head on an old but very sturdy car window mount I have, so it will be useful to have the two heads.

Hopefully I've made a good choice!

Thanks everyone.
Liz
Nice one Liz. You won't be disappointed I'm sure. The very best of luck.