Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Need a little larger backpack camera case

Currently I have 2 Tamrac Extreme Series backpacks; but alas, additional lenses seem to be making them into my case, and I'm out of room. I really like the "backpack" type of bag, or perhaps a rolling case. My larger case is approx. 12" W x 16" long x 7"D (outside).

Any suggestions?

Last edited by csa; 08-03-2016 at 12:07 PM.
08-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it all depends what you all want to carry. But I have a Clik elite Escape Clik Elite Escape 2.0 Backpack (Black) CE801BK B&H Photo Video which I love when I have to a camera with long lens attached. Only downside is, that a second body (when you have a battygrip) with lens is a bit tricky to fit. Just body will go fine (or body + lens but without batterygrip). It is one of the most comfortable bags I have.
08-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have the "Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Pro DSLR Camera Backpack". It fits under the seat in front of me when I fly. It is capable of carrying my K-3II with my Sigma 150-500 DG OS attached, plus battery charger, batteries, and another lens. It can be adjusted with its inner soft panels that have velcro on the ends to organize for different equipment. It has special storage areas in the back and on top for smaller equipment, and the main compartment is only accessible from the inside back to avoid unwanted intrusion. It is comfortable and nice looking also. Its' dimensions are approx. 18 x12 x 10. Below is a shortcut to its' listing on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-DSLR-Camera-Backpack/dp/B001APJZ50/r...=Lowepro+400aw
08-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience is that larger backpacks take a lot of equipment but they get to heavy to carry (I have a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW that I seldom use except in the back of my car). If you're looking for a bag to have on your back for a couple of hours you probably got it already and need to think about what you really need to bring.

08-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
My experience is that larger backpacks take a lot of equipment but they get to heavy to carry (I have a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW that I seldom use except in the back of my car). If you're looking for a bag to have on your back for a couple of hours you probably got it already and need to think about what you really need to bring.
I should have clarified my needs. This bag would only be used for storage of my equipment at home. I cannot actually use any backpacks because of a fractured vertebrae (collapsed). The reason I like the backpack type, is they open up to view/use all your equipment at one time; without going into several other compartments.
08-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I should have clarified my needs. This bag would only be used for storage of my equipment at home. I cannot actually use any backpacks because of a fractured vertebrae (collapsed). The reason I like the backpack type, is they open up to view/use all your equipment at one time; without going into several other compartments.
You might think outside the bag and consider making your own storage container since you can find the inserts to put in just about anything. I've had the idea in the back of my hear and just haven't acted on it. I'm sure people have come up with many ideas or systems.
08-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put all my cameras and lenses in the drawer of a small bedside chest. I lined the bottom of the drawer with Sears Craftsman Tool Chest liner. I added a large number of silica packs, just in case. I just pick what I need for an outing, put it in a small Domke bag and go.

08-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, but I prefer using a camera bag, rather than an actual storage unit.
08-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The reason I like the backpack type, is they open up to view/use all your equipment at one time; without going into several other compartments.
If you aren't intending to carry the pack, you may be well served by something like the Vanguard Divider Bag 46:

Or perhaps just browse eBay or Amazon and get the biggest, cheapest backpack you can find that lays flat.

If you have piles of gear, as you suggested, a roller backpack of some sort makes sense. It will make moving whatever you choose more comfortable, even if it is just from room to room, with the option of also backpacking it for a distance (if need be), like the Vanguard Heralder 51T (or similar):

Last edited by rawr; 08-03-2016 at 04:34 PM.
08-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you! That divider bag insert looks like it would work for me; the 46 is almost the exact size of case I have now; however the Insert 53 is bigger & would work! I love the one on wheels, but out of my price range.
08-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Think Tank Airport Accelerator, which is about the maximum allowable carry-on size. Not cheap, but very well made and it holds heaps.
08-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If just for storage, a rollerbag would be much better. Also opens up completely, and you need to carry, you just rol it out of the closet.
08-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, that's a problem, as I only have one closet, and there's no room for anything more on the floor of it. The camera bag resides in my living room/office area; and again, very little floor space available. Right now the bag resides on top of my filing cabinet. If a roller bag would fit on top of my filing cabinet, without protruding too much, that would be a great way for me to go.

Last edited by csa; 08-04-2016 at 10:14 AM.
08-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't like the whole padded insert thing. It wastes space and is awkward if your lenses aren't all the right sizes. I put my lenses in neoprene pouches -- Snoot Boot | OP/TECH USA -- and carry them in a leather backpack -- Simple Backpack - Classic Leather Backpack | Saddleback Leather Co. -- and it works out pretty well. I can lash the tripod to the D rings on the backpack (in my case, the clips on the tripod's case are just the right distance apart that I can snap the case on instead) as well.

---------- Post added 08-04-16 at 01:40 PM ----------

Well, that's a problem, as I only have one closet, and there's no room for anything more on the floor of it. The camera bag resides in my living room/office area; and again, very little floor space available. Right now the bag resides on top of my filing cabinet. If a roller bag would fit on top of my filing cabinet, without protruding too much, that would be a great way for me to go.
Check these out: Porter Case - /main/index.php

The "Elite" model is compact enough (13" x 18" x 8") to fit on top of a filing cabinet, but they're ridiculously handy for travel. I have an elite and a PCii version, and I've used both for travel on occasion. You can pile a lot of checked luggage on even the elite model. They're a bit hard to find since the gentleman running the company is semi-retired and they don't make new ones anymore (he still runs the business to cover repairs and is looking for a buyer -- I'd love to see Pelican come in and buy their IP to make these cases part of their lineup), but the used prices when they're on eBay or amazon are pretty reasonable and the warranty is still good. (They actually make them here in South Bend. I originally found them on accident while looking for someplace that could repair a suitcase)
08-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do prefer the padded divider system. I can adjust it to fit any equipment I have. I'm a great supporter of OpTech, as they are only 90 miles from me. I have their Hood Hats on most of my lenses, to eliminate using the lens cap. I've also always used their straps.

That leather backpack is beautiful, but way out of my spending league! If I was interested in something of that type, I'd make one myself; as I used to do a lot of leatherwork, including making saddles, gun cases, etc. The Porter's are nice! I see where the UltraLite weighs 12#, but since I wouldn't be carrying it, that shouldn't present a problem. I could also get a case without wheels, & simply secure it to my fold-up cart, which has bigger wheels for rougher countryside. I do not travel any longer, so "carry-on" airline size, stacking luggage, etc., wouldn't apply in my case.

It is great to see many different suggestions, and each & every one is appreciated; until I find my "ideal" case!