Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
help - what is this tiny winder thing? (Pentax MX film SLR)

What exactly is the use of this accessory? It fits my MX, but not sure how to use it.
I am unable to find it in the accessory pages (not under winders or misc)

info appreciated, Thanks!

08-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Might be for manual back-winding to do double-exposures? I used to do that somehow on a film camera, can't remember exactly how...
08-15-2016, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been a Pentax shooter since there even was an MX...or any K-mount camera for that matter...and I've never seen one of those gizmos. Does that silver pin push in your rewind button on the bottom of the camera? And are there any markings on the thumbwheel? It almost looks like it's some kind of device to let you accurately rewind your film. Back before digital processing, people would double-expose film to create certain effects. One of the more popular things was to shoot a roll of just the moon in various positions in a black sky. Then you would rewind your film so you could go back and shoot other shots on top of the moon shots. The new photos would appear in the black areas of the moon photos and a moon would be placed in the new pics. But to make this trick work, it helped to be able to accurately rewind your film so that your new exposures were exactly on top of your old ones. The LX could count frames backwards, but I don't think the MX or ME could. Maybe this device was for something along those lines. I'll be curious to see what you find out.

---------- Post added 08-15-2016 at 02:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Might be for manual back-winding to do double-exposures? I used to do that somehow on a film camera, can't remember exactly how...
GMTA! You just said it a lot more concisely than I was able to do.
08-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Almost certainly, you have now started a mad scramble among MX etc. owners to find one of these gizmos for themselves.

I can see the film rewind pin well clear of this device. I suspect the pin on the device's contact surface is a stop-pin to allow exactly one frame rewind, then you have to pull it off to reset it. Let's see what turns up!

08-15-2016, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stawastawa Quote
What exactly is the use of this accessory? It fits my MX, but not sure how to use it.
I am unable to find it in the accessory pages (not under winders or misc)

info appreciated, Thanks!

It's a Pentax MX Motor Drive accessory. When the 250 exposure bulk film back is attached to a Pentax with Motor Drive MX attached the film is advanced using the ear wheel on the Motor Drive.

When the 250 exposure bulk film back is attached BUT NO Motor Drive is attached this attachment allows the film to be advanced in the bulk film back.

I have similar items for the Pentax LX and Spotmatic motor drives cameras.

It's a quite rare find.

Regards

Chris
08-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you chris!
do you know of any use for it without the 250 exposure bulk film back?
I do have a bulk film loader, but no bulk film back =(

any informational links? I'm surprised the accessory pages don't have the bulk film backs either.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
It's a Pentax MX Motor Drive accessory. When the 250 exposure bulk film back is attached to a Pentax with Motor Drive MX attached the film is advanced using the ear wheel on the Motor Drive.

When the 250 exposure bulk film back is attached BUT NO Motor Drive is attached this attachment allows the film to be advanced in the bulk film back.

Chris
08-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stawastawa Quote
Thank you chris!
do you know of any use for it without the 250 exposure bulk film back?
I do have a bulk film loader, but no bulk film back =(

any informational links? I'm surprised the accessory pages don't have the bulk film backs either.
If it advances film in the bulk loader, probably nothing you can do with it except to sell it to someone who is still using such a thing. It's RARE!!!

08-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #8

I use to do double exposures by pressing down the rewind button while using the film advance lever.
08-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I use to do double exposures by pressing down the rewind button while using the film advance lever.
Yeah, I was trying to remember (early 90s would have been the last time I was doing something like that) -- so you just disengage and cock it without advancing, no rewinding needed.
08-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is called a coupler, if I found the right part in the bulk film back manual. See Pentax Bulk Film Magazine MX Manual (Page 6 of 28) (but the quality is horrible).
08-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #11

Original Poster
well, I'm going to add this coupler to the bulk film loader and the cassettes and find someone-one who needs it. feel free to pm me if interested.
08-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-- so you just disengage and cock it without advancing, no rewinding needed.
Yes, but take up any slack first with the rewind knob and hold it in place to prevent any slight advance when re-cocking for the second shot.

It's helpful to plan on using any etched lines or split-image spots to assist in composing the two scenes.

If you take a whole roll of images rather than making an immediate overlay shot it helps to sketch and record each composition and note the exposure of each frame for future reference. Also carefully index the film when loading so it can be precisely re-positioned later.
08-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Yes, but take up any slack first with the rewind knob and hold it in place to prevent any slight advance when re-cocking for the second shot.

It's helpful to plan on using any etched lines or split-image spots to assist in composing the two scenes.

If you take a whole roll of images rather than making an immediate overlay shot it helps to sketch and record each composition and note the exposure of each frame for future reference. Also carefully index the film when loading so it can be precisely re-positioned later.
Yeah, I remember doing that which is what I was confusing it with. I didn't do it for double-exposures, but once in a while something would come up where I'd be halfway through a roll and I needed to use a different type of film (only one body) so I'd rewind and unload, load the second roll, and the later go back and reload the first roll and carefully advance to just beyond where I'd left off. Student on a budget you know...
08-21-2016, 02:07 AM   #14

Yeah, I remember doing that which is what I was confusing it with. I didn't do it for double-exposures, but once in a while something would come up where I'd be halfway through a roll and I needed to use a different type of film (only one body) so I'd rewind and unload, load the second roll, and the later go back and reload the first roll and carefully advance to just beyond where I'd left off. Student on a budget you know...
I did this much more than double exposures. I would often have a roll of tri-x and roll of something else and switch back and forth. I think I usually advanced 1 extra frame when reloading so I tried not to switch too often. I remember being really bummed a few times when I forgot to change the ASA setting.
08-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I did this much more than double exposures. I would often have a roll of tri-x and roll of something else and switch back and forth. I think I usually advanced 1 extra frame when reloading so I tried not to switch too often. I remember being really bummed a few times when I forgot to change the ASA setting.
I used to do this, too, until one time when my lab aligned the first frame of my slide film in the mounter, then sent the whole roll through. Since the registration was off due to me having taken the film out of the camera, then reloading it...the slide mounter ended up chopping all my slides on the last part of the roll in half.