Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 11:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-50 good wireless remote recommendation + strap advice.

Hi there.

I have two questions, thought I'd bundle them together in this post, dunno if that's wise or not :\

First question, what wireless (or even wired) good remotes exist for the K-50? I have somehow acquired a small wireless one, but I have discovered I cannot get more than say 2-3m from the camera before it cannot pick up any responses from the remote. Is this a limitation of the camera or remote? If I need a longer distance (say 8-10m) do I have to go wired? Does the K-50 even do wired and can you get lengths or extensions that long?! So good in this sense means range, I am hoping it has stuff like AF etc, timer even be nice.. whatever.

Secondly, I am curious as to how people 'strap up' with their pentaxs
What I mean is... I currently own a nice camera satchel style bag (you know the kind that go over shoulder/neck), and I have for this reason always resisted getting a neck strap for my k-50 as I would now have too many straps going around my neck and getting tangled up etc.
I was thinking of perhaps a wrist/hand strap, the main reason is that when I am changing lenses on the go I am getting into a right mess, balancing the camera, taking lens cap off etc, how do you guys (and gals) manage it!? Perhaps I need to put a proper neck strap on the K-50 and get a bum bag style lens pouch or something. I tend to switch between a 50mm, 100mm and the standard 18-55mm lenses when on the move.

I'm just after what experienced users have tried and found works well and what doesn't, feel free to chime in with yer 2 cents

Cheers,

Bruce

08-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hand strap feedback

G'Day Bruce,

I used to use the standard shoulder strap that comes with the camera but never really 'used it'. For walking around I felt it just got in the way more so I went with a hand strap. There's plenty of hand straps to choose from, even a Pentax one but I chose the Joby Ultrafit: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998464-REG/joby_jb01277_bww_ultrafit_...981& mainly because they had one in my local camera store (before it unfortunately closed down).

This one has done well on my K5 and now my K-1. It works with the camera alone and with a grip and provides for mounting on a tripod too.

There's nicer looking hand straps out there but it works and is easy to adjust. The straps can come loose which is my only complaint other than it's not as aesthetically pleasing as some other's. But loose straps are easy to spot and tighten so I've no plans to replace it.

For me I find a hand strap is less cumbersome and is good for walking around providing a bit of extra security with holding the camera. I also find it less tiring on the hand, the major benefit of a shoulder strap.

Anyhoo, your 2c worth as requested.

Tas
08-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For the remote, I use the Pixel TW-282. You can find a review here. I use it on the K5IIs, but I suppose it will work for K-50 too. If you get it though, be careful to get the version compatible with Pentax (I think it's the E3 one).

As for straps and bag, I go hiking pretty often so I needed some system to have the camera protected. At the beginning I was using Fancier Alpha 20 and just drop it in the big mountain backpack when I was not using the camera, but then I discovered I was missing a lot of good opportunities, having to stop and take the camera from the backpack. I could keep the Fancier bag outside, but then it was dangling and affected my balance which is not good if the hiking trail is difficult.

Now I have the Think Tank Digital Holster 20 v2.0 together with Think Tank Digital Holster Harness v2.0. This seems to work fine as the harness fits under my backpack, leaves me hands-free and keeps camera fixed and protected while I am moving.

I am also using a Vanguard Adaptor 48 bag in more urban areas.

I hope you will find something for your needs as it seems there are options for everyone out there.
08-17-2016, 01:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all those recommendations. The shoulder bag I own is the Event Messenger 100, as I said I'm pretty happy with it, it holds the k-50, and a couple extra lenses as well as phone, keys, wallet and some cleaning equipment. Where I'm encountering difficulty is really when changing lens. One hand to hold the K-50, the other holds the lens I just pulled off it, but wait... I need another arm to get the new lens out of the bag, take lens cap off, put lens cap on the other lens, put that lens away, put new lens on K-50.... and do it all relatively quickly so that dust etc doesn't sneak in too much... phew.. lol.
I feel as tho if I had a wrist strap perhaps I could let the k-50 dangle from my wrist as I sort myself out with the lens swapping etc, but really I just don't know what to do.
Perhaps as I said I need the K-50 hanging from the neck, a holster from it and lens pouches...

I just wondered how you all manage yer 'on the go' lens swapping

08-17-2016, 02:57 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

can't help with the wireless request, but I use a Peak Designs' Slide as my strap for both K-50 and K-3 - love the adjustability and comfort in it
08-17-2016, 03:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not like having a camera swinging unprotected from my neck, especially if there's a chancce of either falling, or having it swing wide and hit something.. I have a Case Logic holster, which also works as a shoulder bag, for moving around and storage, when I pull the camera out to use it, I have a Joby Wrist strap.

I have had no luck with either Pentax or Chinese JJC remotes with my K-5, I am considering trying a Hahnel.
08-17-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

I'm very happy with the Peak Design Slide strap. Its length is easily adjustable and if needed, you can also quickly detach it from the camera.
The supplied standard Arca-Swiss plate is fine, albeit a bit small for my needs, so I bought a bigger one a couple of months later. This plate is very cheap, fits my K-30 and works perfectly with my panning clamp. However, I don't trust the flimsy looking Chinese screw and still use the one provided by Peak Design.

Alternatively you may prefer Peak Design's Capture clip. I don't own the product, so I can't say anything about its validity, but it seems well regarded around the web.
You can see Slide and Capture in action in this video.
08-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Hi there.

I have two questions, thought I'd bundle them together in this post, dunno if that's wise or not :\

First question, what wireless (or even wired) good remotes exist for the K-50? I have somehow acquired a small wireless one, but I have discovered I cannot get more than say 2-3m from the camera before it cannot pick up any responses from the remote. Is this a limitation of the camera or remote? If I need a longer distance (say 8-10m) do I have to go wired? Does the K-50 even do wired and can you get lengths or extensions that long?! So good in this sense means range, I am hoping it has stuff like AF etc, timer even be nice.. whatever.

Secondly, I am curious as to how people 'strap up' with their pentaxs
What I mean is... I currently own a nice camera satchel style bag (you know the kind that go over shoulder/neck), and I have for this reason always resisted getting a neck strap for my k-50 as I would now have too many straps going around my neck and getting tangled up etc.
I was thinking of perhaps a wrist/hand strap, the main reason is that when I am changing lenses on the go I am getting into a right mess, balancing the camera, taking lens cap off etc, how do you guys (and gals) manage it!? Perhaps I need to put a proper neck strap on the K-50 and get a bum bag style lens pouch or something. I tend to switch between a 50mm, 100mm and the standard 18-55mm lenses when on the move.

I'm just after what experienced users have tried and found works well and what doesn't, feel free to chime in with yer 2 cents

Cheers,

Bruce
Since I bought the CustomSLR Hand Strap I don't use their Glide One neck strap nearly as often, but I like both very much.

I use the JJC RM-E7 remote with my K-500 and K-1 and it works well to at least 8 meters (the limit of my testing).

Last edited by TomTom; 08-17-2016 at 08:23 AM.
08-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Wireless remote? If you are content with IR (not radio) and have an Android smart phone, I can recommend the DSLR Remote app by bitshift. It is versatile, works well with Pentax, and is free. Working distance depends on the strength of the IR "blaster" on the phone. I just tested my Samsung S-5 at 40 feet and it worked well, though you are always limited to "line of sight".

Your K-50 will accept a wired remote. Pentax makes one and there are a number of third-party remotes that will also work. I have a Bower model (purchased from Adorama for less than $25) that also has intervalometer and long exposure functionality that I am very happy with.

Review here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/bower-lcd-timer-remote-shutter-...el-rclc1r.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-17-2016 at 09:09 AM.
08-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple different sling straps. I find them the most secure and comfortable option.